Car & Bike The car thread ......

I am a newbie when it comes to buying car and we are planning out first car, Tata Punch AMT. I have heard about not buying insurance from dealership as they upsell the same.
I want to know how to proceed with buying 3rd party insurance?

Like while booking do I tell dealership, I would take my own insurance?
Do I buy the insurance just before my car is to be delivered?
What kind of insurance to get? I went to policy bazaar just to try and put tata Tiago to see what kind of numbers I get and it gave me terms like IDV, Zero Depreciation, 1 year own car and 3 year third party and I don't understand everything.

Can anyone here who is more experienced guide me how to proceed. I am at a point where I have not even booked the car since the prices are not out yet.

I am a newbie when it comes to buying car and we are planning out first car, Tata Punch AMT. I have heard about not buying insurance from dealership as they upsell the same.
Though its true most of the time, I got lucky-ish in this case. I was offered Zero Dep insurance by car dealer for just ₹21k for my Ecosport and I even negotiated a free 3rd year extended warranty. But I didn't know about add-ons like Return to Invoice etc at that time, so I didn't explore much as this was cheap enough.
Like while booking do I tell dealership, I would take my own insurance? Do I buy the insurance just before my car is to be delivered?
You should first compare the quotes you get from dealer and policybazaar and ask the dealer to match it or offer you extended warranty within same amount. Usually they do match the amount but if he doesn't then you can buy insurance online as soon as you get the VIN no. of your car.

Note - Make sure to get the maximum Extended warranty possible.
What kind of insurance to get? I went to policy bazaar just to try and put tata Tiago to see what kind of numbers I get and it gave me terms like IDV, Zero Depreciation, 1 year own car and 3 year third party and I don't understand everything.
IDV is calculated according to Motor Act (shown in pic), so iirc, you'll have to deduct 5% from your (Ex-showroom + Taxes) to get the IDV for the new car.

Regarding add-ons, Zero-Dep is a must. In case there any cases of theft around your office or house, Return to Invoice is recommended. If you experience water-logging in your travel route in rainy season, get the Engine Cover as well.

Screenshot_2021-10-17-15-51-43-540_com.brave.browser.jpg

Can anyone here who is more experienced guide me how to proceed. I am at a point where I have not even booked the car since the prices are not out yet.
Some tips on buying the insurance:
i. Car showroom doesnt allow you or sometimes outright refuse to sell the car if you take insurance from outside as they lose margin in that. Legally, its not right and you can stilll get it from outside but the experience or further negotiations wont happen like free accessories, etc, once you announce that you are getting it from outside. Best way to do this is to get the quote and ask dealer to match it.

ii. Take for maximum IDV in 1st hear. Go for return to invoice option if available. IDV is the amount you get when your car is declared total loss or stolen and declared not recoverable.

iii. 1st year of new car, you dont have to buy zero depreciation as it applies only from 2nd year.

iv. Buy comprehensive policy i.e own damage with 3rd party liability. Own damage is the coverage for damages caused when there are dents and scratches due to some 2 wheeler in traffic or damages when the car was parked(objects falling on the car or somebody crashed into it when parked)

Have few questions related to accessorizing a new car (not yet bought)

• Is Anti-rust coating on a brand new car necessary? Especially for someone like me who lives in coastal city of Mumbai and also we face heavy rainfall in monsoons. Also if one does not want to get it done from a dealer, is it cheaper outside at 3M etc?
  • Floor lamination, is that of any use? Or good old carpets are enough ?

Have few questions related to accessorizing a new car (not yet bought)

• Is Anti-rust coating on a brand new car necessary? Especially for someone like me who lives in coastal city of Mumbai and also we face heavy rainfall in monsoons. Also if one does not want to get it done from a dealer, is it cheaper outside at 3M etc?
Anti-rust coating makes sense in rains and also is you are living in direct sea contact...west sides. Some people do it year round to be extra cautious but it pays of well during buy-backs and selling.
Floor lamination is aesthetics and it depends on your taste. I stick to stock flooring and replace it every 3yrs or so.

Btw which car?

Anti-rust coating makes sense in rains and also is you are living in direct sea contact...west sides. Some people do it year round to be extra cautious but it pays of well during buy-backs and selling.
Floor lamination is aesthetics and it depends on your taste. I stick to stock flooring and replace it every 3yrs or so.

Btw which car?

Don't know yet. Exploring various options.

Sharing my 2 cents -
Anti-rust is relevant considering you are in Mumbai but imo DON'T get it done from dealer you buy the car from.

Search on team-bhp for reviews of workshops who do this in Mumbai. 3M does this ig but they are expensive and there should be some niche workshops which might be better.
Floor lamination? What is that? Don't answer, its rhetorical.

Just get some good noodle mats from amazon, sth like this - <https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01MRC6KHO/> They are cheap enough that you can replace them every 2 years. In my car, only driver's side mat has worn out a bit, rest are all good. You can get these mats from 3M as well but they cost pretty penny. There are also 5D/7D mats available too, search on t-bhp for more reviews.

I'd recommend getting a Paint Protection Film for your whole car.. it costs around 30k for average hatch/sedan but its worth it. Or you can atleast get the bonnet and handles wrapped.

Edit: Forgot to add.. don't forget to buy a Dashcam!

Last edited:
Yes, do get anti-rust coating done if you live in a coastal region. But, and this is a big one, get it done in front of you. If possible see that they open the bottle of anti-rust in front of you and do the necessary number of coats. If getting done from a 3M workshop, ask them beforehand what the exact procedure will be including the number of coats and then see that they do all that in front of you.

Edit: Forgot to add.. don't forget to buy a Dashcam!

My Brother's car has Voifo A129 Duo which has 2 cameras for back and front but that I got from US when I was there and I plan to buy same but may have difficulty finding in India and if available, the pro costs 25K. May have to check Rahul's service.

My Brother's car has Voifo A129 Duo which has 2 cameras for back and front but that I got from US when I was there and I plan to buy same but may have difficulty finding in India and if available, the pro costs 25K. May have to check Rahul's service.
I bought A119 for ₹7-8k 4 years back and its still working.. had some issues here and there but chugging along.

This A129 drops till ₹15k during sales, its an okay buy at that price.

I bought A119 for ₹7-8k 4 years back and its still working.. had some issues here and there but chugging along.

This A129 drops till ₹15k during sales, its an okay buy at that price.
Is it A129 duo or only A129 since duo is for 2 cameras. Also, when you say it drops in price, what website you are talking about?

Hi

Im very glad that you are going to buy a new car. Tata punch AMT.

It is a good car indeed, but it is overpriced considering its specification.

Tata dealers are exggerating by saying it as an mini harrier and tata is harping on its 5 star rating. but it got only 3 cylinder engine and its not turbocharged one.

so for the amount you are paying, you can get better equipped cars.

Read the post in the below link. you will understand.

Tips:
1. Before buying/paying advance, first take a extensive test drive the exact model of the car along with your family members. ask the dealer to provide the exact model. In your case it is Punch AMT.
2. Go to the showroom with 2or 3 guys with good knowledge in cars. they will come in handy during choosing the car, negotiating and delivery inspection.
3. Negotiating can bring down the cost a lil bit/ or you get an free accessories.
4. Buy a comprehensive insurance.
5. If the manufacturer provides extended warranty please buy it for extra peace of mind.
6. if your area/apartment basement parking is flood prone, buy flood damage addon in the insurance.
7. Since you are residing along seashore, give the underbody rust treatment and go for PPF coating.
8. Dashcams are must.

The list is vast. However please refer to the attached PDF file. It will be very usefull to you.
Also refer the below link. A very usefull thread for new car buyers.

Attachments

• Team-BHP PDI Checklist.pdf
    431.7 KB · Views: 105
Hi

Im very glad that you are going to buy a new car. Tata punch AMT.

I am not going to buy Punch. This is our first family car and it is only for city run about, max 6 kms running per day when wife will drive. I don't intend to spend that kind of money and it is overpriced from what I saw. I am mostly going for Spresso or new Celerio (once it comes and we check).
I am very much aware about the 0 star rating of spresso and maruti in general but consider from my perspective, we are new drivers and don't intend to use car for long drives, only in city runs and being first car, I don't want to spend close to a million rupees.
I cannot go for used cars due to lack of knowledge and want fuss free ownership. About 1-2 years down the line, I may upgrade to a different car once we have got a hang of driving. Also any car not tested is automatically assumed safer vis-a-vis spresso. I have out these thoughts on Team BHP too and our requirement is very clear. Cheap and high seating position car and spresso only fits the bill at 6L OTR.

We saw Tiago, but cannot see bonnet at all. Also saw Punch but it is too costly at 9.3L for accomplished which we liked. Kudos to tata for 5 Star car but they are definitely playing on it and up-charging people.

For a car where my entire extended family can go together, we have 2010 Corolla Altis, which only my brother drives. I don't know how to drive a manual.

I have out these thoughts on Team BHP too and our requirement is very clear.

I don't know how to drive a manual.
Funny you mention that. I am driving since 2013, have covered 1lac+ kms, love driving and have done numerous 1000km+ in one go trips and I am not a member of t-bhp.

Speaks a lot about that forum's skewered policies and its enforcers.
I am mostly going for Spresso or new Celerio (once it comes and we check).
Out of these two, I'd recommend Celerio as it seems better built.
I cannot go for used cars due to lack of knowledge and want fuss free ownership.
Have you looked at Maruti TruValue? They offer some 6 months warranty as well.

Don't you know any mechanic or friend who can help you with this?

Funny you mention that. I am driving since 2013, have covered 1lac+ kms, love driving and have done numerous 1000km+ in one go trips and I am not a member of t-bhp.

Speaks a lot about that forum's skewered policies and its enforcers.

Out of these two, I'd recommend Celerio as it seems better built.

Have you looked at Maruti TruValue? They offer some 6 months warranty as well.

Don't you know any mechanic or friend who can help you with this?

I will definitely check True Value. One question though, if the true value near my home shows something in inventory, does it mean it would be there and what are the chances there are other cars but not listed on website?

Celerio old was nice but new is coming on 10th and myself and wife going to sit and see how we feel in terms of bonnet look and such and then decide.

I personally would love to get a nice 10-12L OTR car but may be in a year or two when our driving is matured enough.

About Team-Bhp, while I love the wealth of information there and the forum is actually excellent in terms of quality mainly due to rules being enforced, but when it comes to suggestions, they always advocate safer cars while themselves owning a nano and alto. Justification is that they are the second or third car and not meant for highway. So basically when considering 2nd car or so, your "safety" gets thrown out of the window. That is double standards in my opinion.
For myself, although this is primary car, we are buying for specific reason, which is local use only. We don't even travel out of city that often anyways.

Last edited:
if the true value near my home shows something in inventory, does it mean it would be there
Haven't dealt with them personally, but yeah it should be like that.
and what are the chances there are other cars but not listed on website?
No idea about this.
Celerio old was nice but new is coming on 10th and myself and wife going to sit and see how we feel in terms of bonnet look and such and then decide.
Don't worry too much about bonnet and stuff, you'll get habitual after a month of regular driving. You can also take a second look at Tiago.. its one fine looking car imo.

Haven't dealt with them personally, but yeah it should be like that.

No idea about this.

Don't worry too much about bonnet and stuff, you'll get habitual after a month of regular driving. You can also take a second look at Tiago.. its one fine looking car imo.

Yes I will look at Tiago again. Until I have paid money, all options are on table. My wife will learn driving in november end so will see how it goes. The motor training schools near my area usually train on Honda City so her perception may change after learning on that.

Btw Tiago XZA+ (top model) which I like is 8.54L OTR in Mumbai. Seems lot of taxes here I think. Never bothered before so had no idea.

I'm not into cars at all but need to buy one very soon ( within a week or so) and there's not much time to research.
Where I live, Skoda is the commonest car ( it's based in our country)
Practically anything ( even Fabia) will be an upgrade to what POS car I'm driving since 2015.
We have a Tesla in family and I was planning to buy another ( 2 cars are absolutely mandatory for us), but due to some financial issues I won't be able to afford ( even Tesla 3 seems a little too expensive now!!)
The safe choices here within my budget is pretty limited...Karoq /Hyundai Tucson/ Vox Tiguan.
Realistically have zero faith and minimal expectations from Skoda and Hyundai. I have no interest in cars and use it as a tool just to travel from point A to point B with reasonable safety. Roads are pretty nice here and I often have to drive from Praha to Bratislava ( around 350km) or Budapest ( around 500km)
I've tried all 3 and all seemed decent to me, slightly partial to Tiguan.
Think all these are available in India too. Any suggestions?

I'm not into cars at all but need to buy one very soon ( within a week or so) and there's not much time to research.
Where I live, Skoda is the commonest car ( it's based in our country)
Practically anything ( even Fabia) will be an upgrade to what POS car I'm driving since 2015.
We have a Tesla in family and I was planning to buy another ( 2 cars are absolutely mandatory for us), but due to some financial issues I won't be able to afford ( even Tesla 3 seems a little too expensive now!!)
The safe choices here within my budget is pretty limited...Karoq /Hyundai Tucson/ Vox Tiguan.
Realistically have zero faith and minimal expectations from Skoda and Hyundai. I have no interest in cars and use it as a tool just to travel from point A to point B with reasonable safety. Roads are pretty nice here and I often have to drive from Praha to Bratislava ( around 350km) or Budapest ( around 500km)
I've tried all 3 and all seemed decent to me, slightly partial to Tiguan.
Think all these are available in India too. Any suggestions?
Bit offtopic
What’s the used car situation there like?
Can a non car person buy good and reliable car on their own?
Or is it like our used car market?(need someone trusted and car person)
Very high chances of getting scammed and getting a unreliable or accident repaired car.

Back