The Definitive iPhone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
guys on a lookout for a new phone for my dad. My eyes are on iphone 4 as my dad is not such a heavy user. His main use is instant mails and calls so good battery back up is a MUST. So what do you say , will iphone 4 hold up for whole day with sync on and around 2 hours of calling, 10-15 texts, some clicks etc ??

If instant email, I prefer android over the iOS. Whether you set it up for manual update or periodical(lags the battery). Else with sparrow push from cydia will do some better. I believe it will be a little let down with whole day sync + 2 hours of calls for battery. But juice case would be better.

Is it worth to upgrade from 4S to 5 ? considering you have dock of old usb connector.

If you're going to buy the iPhone, you better go with 5. However, if you're using 4S..do you think it's worth to upgrade?

Only pro(my opinion) compared to 4s and 5.
1. Elevated screen(growing taller only doesn't ever lingers me. I preferred screen size like s2)
2. Faster proccy and ram(this is something I needed for long, as a cydia user with tons of tweaks takes Iphone to different level. So no lagging with other apps like numbers)

So if you are using 4s just like me,it's better to skip and save you money for 5s or whatever.

If instant email, I prefer android over the iOS. Whether you set it up for manual update or periodical(lags the battery). Else with sparrow push from cydia will do some better. I believe it will be a little let down with whole day sync + 2 hours of calls for battery. But juice case would be better.

my dad is using desire s right now but still he complains about delayed mail delivery. :(

I got my dad an iPhone 3GS specifically for mails and pics and he is hooked. Coming from Nokia and then Micromax Q5 I thought touch as well as intuative controls of a touch scrren phone would be too much for him but I was wrong. He is 24/7 on FB :ashamed: and has got in touch with all his distant relatives and friends without much hassle. As for the battery I am on iPhone 4 and with my kind of usage(Loads of mails and calling) my iPhone just about survives for almost an entire day.

^ mine doesn't survived full day.
did you fetch mails manually or by periodical hours or any other clients.

Ps. although 4 doesn't last long but my iPhone 5 last longer than any other phones i used.

In my 4S, i have kept emails to PUSH for my yahoo emails. I don't use any other email. Is keeping it at PUSH good or should i do FETCH per 2 hours or so ?

In my 4S, i have kept emails to PUSH for my yahoo emails. I don't use any other email. Is keeping it at PUSH good or should i do FETCH per 2 hours or so ?
The answer depends upon whats your average battery life?
Push takes more battery than fetching 2 hours takes.

The answer depends upon whats your average battery life?
Push takes more battery than fetching 2 hours takes.

Ok i will try FETCH now. As of now the phone has not been used for any real world use, no SIM that's why. Lets see how it fares in PUSH mode.

Only Fetch hourly option available and nothing more so have used that for now.

Ok i will try FETCH now. As of now the phone has not been used for any real world use, no SIM that's why. Lets see how it fares in PUSH mode.

Only Fetch hourly option available and nothing more so have used that for now.
Yup, 15mins, 30mins and 1 hours will be available. Why not try Sparrow and sparrow push from cydia.
Offtopic: i have a bunch of sim, why not lent it to me untill you find a sim. hehe
Side note.Remember gmail dosent support push on iphones default mail client

Yup, 15mins, 30mins and 1 hours will be available. Why not try Sparrow and sparrow push from cydia.
Offtopic: i have a bunch of sim, why not lent it to me untill you find a sim. hehe

I did try sparrow once and it was ok. I have read it is very good over the stock email but i don't really need much functionality so i am good with stock client. May be i did not try for longer time.
I don't use gmail for emails at all so that is a non issue.

@raksrules - for office / important emails set PUSH and for any other use manual updating. You will see a lot difference in battery back up.

Last edited by a moderator:

You guys should try out the default Gmail client for push, and manual setup on the default mail client. I do the same, and I see iOS is a bit faster in notifying the new email as compared to my Note 2 or Nexus 7. Only problem I face these days is one email is notified to me on 4 different gadgets. Still finding a solution like once the email is read at one device, it should mark as read on all other devices. :p

You guys should try out the default Gmail client for push, and manual setup on the default mail client. I do the same, and I see iOS is a bit faster in notifying the new email as compared to my Note 2 or Nexus 7. Only problem I face these days is one email is notified to me on 4 different gadgets. Still finding a solution like once the email is read at one device, it should mark as read on all other devices. :p
That app sucks.
but i dont get your second point.
if its read, the second time the other device fetchs makes it read, right?

guys on a lookout for a new phone for my dad. My eyes are on iphone 4 as my dad is not such a heavy user. His main use is instant mails and calls so good battery back up is a MUST. So what do you say , will iphone 4 hold up for whole day with sync on and around 2 hours of calling, 10-15 texts, some clicks etc ??

Everything is fine !
But whole day sync over 3G ?
Means 3G On all the time, right?
Better find a friend and try what you want to do in iPhone !

With 3G the battery backup is quite less, though its less in all fones.

But Yes its possible over Edge !

Guys does it make any sense to buy iPhone 4 at this moment? Friend needs good audio over Surfing, Camera and has a strict budget of 25K. Will be getting it locally.

25K is not a good bargain. And iPhone 4 is not worth it.

If you are getting under 20K then it's a better deal I guess.

I have an iPhone 4 and I guess it would suffice your friends needs. But it has only 5MP camera. Surfing is good though.

Guys does it make any sense to buy iPhone 4 at this moment? Friend needs good audio over Surfing, Camera and has a strict budget of 25K. Will be getting it locally.

Not worth it. 25k too high. IMO you should be able to find a used iPhone 4s at that price.

while we are on topic of battery life, its really great on 5. This is with 3G always on and two push mails configured+games+music+message+FB ..... with this kind of usuage i used to get about 16-18hours on 4.

IMG_0049.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back