The Definitive iPhone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go ahead do that.Mobile me and some more stuff are newly installed on the new firmware,did its last night,mines works like charm.....
Go ahead and no worry coz ur iphone 4 is fu,so no issues

Sourav said:
Hey guys! I got an iPhone 4 a few days ago as a gift from my girlfriend :). Its currently running 4.0.1 and the baseband is 01.59.00. I was thinking of upgrading to 4.2.1 as my phone is a factory unlocked unit. Anyone here upgraded to that version? What do you guys recommend? Are there any major changes between 4.0.1 and 4.2.1?
Congrats!

The major changes in iOS 4.2.1 are AirPlay and AirPrint. I posted the full changelog here.

I always love software updates from Apple so i updated to iOS 4.2.1 on its release day and it runs great. Here's what i'm particularly liking:

• Text search on web pages.
  • New fonts in Notes app.
  • The animations feel even smoother now in iOS 4.2.1, app switching in particular.
  • Battery usage is way more efficient with VOIP background apps like Skype etc.
  • Option to separate the control of ringer volume from the external volume controls.

So you should just go ahead and do the deed!

Though if you care about jailbreaking your device, you should hang onto 4.1 as the current 4.2.1 jailbreak solution is a tethered one.

Guys i have iphone 3G running on 3.1.3 and baseband 05.14.02. can it be unlocked ??

EDIT : I have found out that i have to update the baseband to to 06.15.00 which is a ipad baseband. Is it worth doing this as there is no chance of going back to iphone baseband then.

A friend of mine had purchased an iPhone 4 software unlocked on 4.0.1 . Just recently he selected erase data and content in iPhone settings and since then the phone won't boot at all .It just gets stuck at the Apple logo . Doesnt show up on iTunes also . Holding the home and wake button results in the same loop again and again.

I was able to put it in DFU mode and iTunes showed the phone but in recovery mode :S .

The friend didnt save any SHSH blobs (unless original owner did it of which I have no idea) so I guess the phone remains a brick till the 4.2.1 unlock is out ?

^ Tried that but the enter recovery mode / exit recovery and almost all other buttons are greyed out . I guess the application isn't detecting the phone :S

Rahul said:
Guys i have iphone 3G running on 3.1.3 and baseband 05.14.02. can it be unlocked ??

EDIT : I have found out that i have to update the baseband to to 06.15.00 which is a ipad baseband. Is it worth doing this as there is no chance of going back to iphone baseband then.

I have updated the baseband on 2 iPhone 3g's. Everything is working fine. But if you are worried, hold on. The dev-team is working on a Baseband downgrade hack !
FaH33m said:
A friend of mine had purchased an iPhone 4 software unlocked on 4.0.1 . Just recently he selected erase data and content in iPhone settings and since then the phone won't boot at all .It just gets stuck at the Apple logo . Doesnt show up on iTunes also . Holding the home and wake button results in the same loop again and again.

I was able to put it in DFU mode and iTunes showed the phone but in recovery mode :S .

The friend didnt save any SHSH blobs (unless original owner did it of which I have no idea) so I guess the phone remains a brick till the 4.2.1 unlock is out ?
FaH33m said:
^ Tried that but the enter recovery mode / exit recovery and almost all other buttons are greyed out . I guess the application isn't detecting the phone :S
@Faheem,

Download USBview

Keep the iPhone connected to the usb port. Read the ECID for your iPhone on the details that appear in the usbview application.

Enter that ECID in tinyumbrella and click on save SHSH.

If the SHSH has been saved for that iPhone on 4.1, it will show up and also get saved locally.

From there on, you can restore to iOS 4.1

P.S. You can never ever do a ' Erase all...' on a jailbroken iPhone. Will always put you in the Apple logo loop !

Thanks a lot . Will try it later tomorrow.Got fed up and packed the phone in the box and kept it . :p

I knew about the never erase a jailbroken iPhone cause it has its own partition etc but my dumb friend didn't know about it and he didnt even bother to ask me . Lamest thing is he erased it cause he deleted the Safari icon by-mistake.

rajshah said:
I have updated the baseband on 2 iPhone 3g's. Everything is working fine. But if you are worried, hold on. The dev-team is working on a Baseband downgrade hack !

Thanks man, already did the unlocking yesterday, its working fine :) ..... I am also thinking about upgrading my 3G to 4.2.1, its running on 05.13 baseband so it can be done easily.

I am stuck with a iP4 with 2.10.4 base band since quite a while now(almost 1.5 months) with no signs of unlock...

Wont come b4 this year end...sold mines for 28k and bought fu for 37k and so happy with it,no issues and it works like a charm...

Fu are good and have some g48 resale value

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

lol 4.3 is going to be out in next 48 hrs....god help the apple

my friends iphone 3g hangs at the initial apple logo.it was jailbroken by me( 1.5 years back) and it had 3.3.1 3.0 IOS with baseband 04.26.08_G..now i have the task to fix it...offlate i have kept no track of present baseband and ios one should go for as far as unlocking is concerned.need some inputs and do's and dont's..am reading about it a bit, however some input would be invaluable..

destiny said:
Wont come b4 this year end...sold mines for 28k and bought fu for 37k and so happy with it,no issues and it works like a charm...

Fu are good and have some g48 resale value

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

lol 4.3 is going to be out in next 48 hrs....god help the apple

Can i know where you sold it? India or US? I might just have to sell it off :/ :/ Have waited 2 months now and though they are working on it, no one has given a confirmation that 2.10.04 bb unlock for i4 is possible, they are optimistic, but not sure :/

Guys,

I just got a IP4 FU, and have a vodafone connection, Vodafone CC tells me that VMC199 does not work with the Iphone, but I have read and many people I am sure on this forum too are using the VMC service, can someone tell me how you guys are using it?

Ps- The APN option doesnt show up in General->Network options for me, I am pretty sure it was there in my 3GS when i had Aircel connection. Is the APN field based on the service provided by the operator?

Iphone gprs now usually only works with iphone plans. IIRC there is a iphone data plan which costs 200. Call CC, they will help you out.

Mobile connect no longer works properly on iphones.

^^

Still using VMC on iPhone.. 299 Rs Unlimited... Dont even bother to tell Vodafone that you have iPhone they suggest some crap idata plan of 700 Rs.

~Advice needed~

Shall I update my iphones firmware to 4.2.1 keeping the old baseband. Am currently on 3.1.2 firmware.

Pls advice if its wise to switch to 4.2.1 or not and if possible then pros and cons.

Hey all!

I have a small question. The iPhone 4 that I have is on 4.0.2. It's factory unlocked with baseband 01.59.00. Is it worth upgrading to the 4.2.1 OS at this time? If i choose to upgrade, then will the upgrade remove the factory unlock?

I was browsing the internet for some time and read a few incidents where people claimed that the iPhone 4 was factory unlocked, and after upgrading to 4.2.1, the unlock seems to have disappeared. They claim that their previously working sim cards are now useless as the phone will not identify them. Any ideas about this? I'm quite concerned about this whole upgrading fiasco as I don't want my iPhone to turn into a brick.

I downloaded TinyUmbrella and saved the SHSH blob but even that seems quite confusing. I am attaching a screenshot to illustrate my concern.

The Installed Firmware and baseband shows my phone's firmware(4.0.2) and baseband(01.59.00). But the SHSH that I saved, shows iPhone 4.2.1(8C148). Is this weird? Because I clearly followed the iClarified tutorial on how to save the SHSH blob. Just connected my iPhone, went under connected devices and clicked on Save SHSH.

Anyways, back to my question, if in case something goes wrong when I choose to upgrade to 4.2.1, can I set my iPhone back to the original settings that it came with? I don't have much concern about the data as it's all saved on my computer.

Any ideas fellas? Thanks in advance for reading this long post of mine.

Cheers!

Hey guys, I have a 3GS with baseband 5.11.07 running 3.1.2 - Can I upgrade to 4.2.1 and then unlock/jailbreak? How would I go about doing that?

Thanks in advance!

Amaresh said:
Hey guys, I have a 3GS with baseband 5.11.07 running 3.1.2 - Can I upgrade to 4.2.1 and then unlock/jailbreak? How would I go about doing that?

Thanks in advance!
Its pretty simple . You just need to follow 2 guides properly and it can be done in 5-7 minutes max.

1)First step is to download the latest 4.2.1 firmware file for your device and update it.

2)Restore your phone completely to new 4.2.1 as per this guide.

Update iPhone 3GS / 3G Baseband to 06.15.00 with PwnageTool 4.1.3 for iOS 4.2.1 Unlock [Guide] | Redmond Pie

^ Then follow the guide above completely till you have a jailbroken iPhone .

After that you can unlock it using this guide -

Unlock 4.2.1 iOS on iPhone 3GS / 3G with Ultrasn0w 1.2 [Guide] | Redmond Pie

That's it , your phone will be unlocked.

Thanks FaH33m for guiding me in the right direction. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back