The Definitive iPhone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
mjumrani said:
Anyone found a solution to the stupid proximity sensor issue on iPhone 4?
I've never encountered any "proximity sensor issue" on my launch day iPhone 4.

Most of the people experiencing it reported that iOS 4.1 update solved it for them, so if you're running an older version, you should update it and check if the issue persists.

If you're already on 4.1 and you still experience it, its either a) you're holding it wrong (no pun intended), or b) one of the few people who still seem to have a genuine issue.

If its b) i'm afraid you don't have any other choice rather than replacing your iPhone through Apple.

Btw guys, iOS 4.2 is out today and although its mostly about iPad and unification across all iOS devices, there are some nice additions to iPhone 4.

Here's a list of what's new:

For iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad

* AirPlay (replacement of AirTunes, AirPlay will offer stream video, music, and photos over Wi-Fi) [56]

* AirPrint Wireless Printing with Print Center [56] P3, P4, T3, T4, S1, S2

* Import .ics calendar files directly for events

* Improved Battery Performance

* Birthdays icon has been changed in calendar

* Updated Carrier Settings (US is AT&T 9.0)

* Text search on web pages [56]

* 2 new fonts for Notes in Settings (Helvetica and Chalkboard)

* Safari 6533.18.5, WebKit 533.17.9

* Added support for Chinese URL over Safari [57]

* Added an indicator in the App Store which shows if an App supports Game Center

* Support for CoreMIDI

* YouTube voting [58]

* Minor improvements in UI graphics

* New Parental Controls for deleting Apps, changing mail accounts and location services[58]

* New wallpapers in Settings

* Find your Iphone, Ipod touch and Ipad with "find my Iphone" now for free for Iphone 4, Ipod 4 and Ipad.

iPhone and iPod Touch exclusive features

* Bug Fixes

* Fixes glitch that can let a user get into the phone app while the phone is locked via "Emergency Call" by dialing a random number and quickly pressing the lock button after dialing that call [59]

* Fixes the alarm bug caused by daylight saving time changing, affected on a part of iPhone and iPod Touch owners located in Australia, New Zealand, and some European countries.[60]

* Improved iPhone 3G performance [61]

* Additions to multitasking tray

* Volume controls

* AirPlay controls

* New Voice Memos icon

* FaceTime shortcut from Messages app (iPhone 4 only)[58]

* New Text Tone Alerts (New & Original tone lists) (iPhone 4 only)

* Ringer & Alerts on/off switch (Settings > Sounds) for volume buttons (iPhone only)

* Assign different text tone alerts to each contact (iPhone only)

* Restores full Field Test Mode[citation needed]

Source: iOS version history.

The coolest thing about this update is that "Find my iPhone/iPad" feature is now completely free!

4.2 is out,the baby is going to be unlocked soon
Time to enjoy

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

4.2 is out,its time to enjoy

Styx said:
If its b) i'm afraid you don't have any other choice rather than replacing your iPhone through Apple.
No more FU iphones in Dubai now, so can't risk it. I'm royally screwed then.

Official apps will be reinstalled but you will most probably lose their data. For the rest you will have to wait till JB comes

It was recently discovered that Apple has created yet another obstacle for jailbreakers and unlockers to overcome with the introduction of a baseband requirement for iOS starting from the newly released iOS 4.2.1 firmware. As reported by Semaphore, the creator of the popular TinyUmbrella program:

It seems that Apple has decided to put a baseband requirement on iOS. So at this point, if you are using Saurik’s server or tiny umbrella and trying to restore 4.2.1 on an iPhone 4, you will end up in recovery mode and tiny umbrella will not be able to pull you out of recovery. In this case, you will have to restore 4.1 again or you will have to restore 4.2.1 stock and be tether jailbroken. (Of course, I recommend 4.1 and not bothering with 4.2.1 at all). If you are an unlocker, this is a no brainer. Do not update to 4.2.1 even to test it at this point.

Another Nail In the Hells Coffin.......................Guys Just beware b4 u mess up ur locked Iphone 4

Is 40k for a 16GB factory unlocked iphone 4 a fair price ?

I am in Mumbai and wanted one

Also, I wont be getting a bill/warranty for it.. Will the global warranty work considering iPhone 4 hasnt been launched in India

Hi Guys,

Need some advice for an iPhone noob.
My friend is getting me an iPhone 4 from US.
But, he's saying that there are no factory unlocked iphones in the US.
Assuming that the iPhone 4 can be unlocked here in India, a couple of questions here.

1. Which version of iPhone 4 should i buy so that it can definitely be unlocked. (base band, OS etc) ?
2. Will i get a warranty here in India ?
3. Will i be able to get OS upgrades later ?
4. Lastly, is the apple app store available in India ?

Expecting a quick reply on the above.

Regards,
Vikram.

1. You wouldn't have a choice in the matter. Otherwise 4.1 is best.
2. Nope.
3. Not before an unlock and jailbreak is out.
4. Yes

mjumrani said:
1. You wouldn't have a choice in the matter. Otherwise 4.1 is best.
2. Nope.
3. Not before an unlock and jailbreak is out.
4. Yes
Hey mjumrani,
Thanks for the reply dude.
What abt the micro-sim ? How can i get it here ?
Any other things which i have to keep in mind while buying iPhone4 ?
Any disadvantages of using an iPhone ?
Another noob question, Has it got FM ?

Regards,
Vikram.

Lots of TE members might have micro sim cutters. You can ask them else if you have vodafone or airtel, they will provide you the micro sim.
iOS 4.2.1 is a tethered unlock. Try and get iOS 4.1
I like it a lot, but that is only my opinion. Lots will concur and lots will not.
Sorry man, no FM.

mjumrani said:
Lots of TE members might have micro sim cutters. You can ask them else if you have vodafone or airtel, they will provide you the micro sim.
iOS 4.2.1 is a tethered unlock. Try and get iOS 4.1
I like it a lot, but that is only my opinion. Lots will concur and lots will not.
Sorry man, no FM.
Thanks again for the quick reply dude.
Will try to get IOS 4.1. Even i like the iPhone.
But, knowing that it doesnt have an FM. It sucks. I like FM. :-(
One last question, What is the base band ? How does it matter wrt to iPhone ?

I have no idea man. That's why I always buy factory unlocked phones. Because of this I haven't even googled to find out.

Hey guys! I got an iPhone 4 a few days ago as a gift from my girlfriend :). Its currently running 4.0.1 and the baseband is 01.59.00. I was thinking of upgrading to 4.2.1 as my phone is a factory unlocked unit. Anyone here upgraded to that version? What do you guys recommend? Are there any major changes between 4.0.1 and 4.2.1?

Couple of more queries:
Isn't ngpay & SBI Mobile banking app supported on iPhone?

How can i save a SMS in different folder? All i could find in google was "How to save your SMS to MAC/PC" But thats not wat i'm looking for. I just want to create folders and move that SMS there...

How to open Vodafone Live! WAP portal? From what i know, safari is not a wap browser...so anyway for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back