The Definitive iPhone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
iTunes definitely backs up text messages. I can 100% confirm this for myself because I have restored iPhones (mine, and two other friends') multiple times and all of those times the smses were back on the iphone after I restored the phone and then retrieved an earlier backup. Oh and I forgot to mention, the backup includes your iphone photos (that is, those shot with the iphone camera) as well.

How it works is like this. Once you've restored your iPhone, iTunes will show you the iphone connected and offer you two options. 1. Setup as a new iphone, and 2. Recover earlier backup.

If you choose the latter, then text messages, iphone photos, notes, and contacts are all put back on the phone. I repeat, I have done this myself and can 100% confirm that it works.

I hope this answers your query.
Regarding this, I'm a bit confused:
Either way, I need to upgrade it nonetheless, so it's unavoidable.
Why do you need to update your iphone at all?

Okay wait, I just re-read your question.
Hmm, I have a question. If I wanna soft upgrade my unlocked 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 using Installer, will I lose all my data?
Why are you soft-upgrading from installer to 1.1.2 at all? If your iPhone has the v3.9 bootloader then the process is really simple. Personally, I'd first do a restore if I were you to make my phone 'clean' from the start. After that all you have to do is install OkToPrep from Installer and 'update' (not restore) to 1.1.2 using iTunes. Check this guide on modmyifone.com for the detailed instructions.

Hey tracer, I've got a slight problem :p

I followed the guide and the steps accurately, everything went smoothly, downloaded 1.1.2 independently and installed it, all went well.

I even managed to get through "jailbreak", even though it took a lot longer than expected.

However, my SIM isn't recognized? Do I have to SIMUnlock it again? Please advise!

Cheers!

So I figured that I have to SimUnlock it, and I did, but it got stuck ... just wouldn't budge, so I rebooted the iphone, and now even though iTunes can detect it, it won't get past the Apple Loading screen, now what do I do? o_O

I figured out what the problem was with SimUnlock, I was supposed to set it to Airplane mode, and I didn't, so it got stuck.

Now that I'm stuck on the Loading screen, and even though iTunes can detect it etc., what do I do? How do I fix this issue?

Thanks in advance!

^^Nope, I wouldn't recommend that method.

Unrealistic said:
I figured out what the problem was with SimUnlock, I was supposed to set it to Airplane mode, and I didn't, so it got stuck.

In all chances you've corrupted your baseband. I'd suggest upgrading to 1.1.3 through itunes. That way your phone is completely clean and the baseband repaired to the newest i.e. 4.03.13.

After that, downgrade back to 1.1.1 and start all over again. That is use AppSnapp to jailbreak, and use AnySIM 1.1.3 to unlock the 1.1.3 baseband on your phone. (Note: your phone's GSM functions will not be usable until you're back at 1.1.3 software version)then OkToPrep and then upgrade to 1.1.2. Then jailbreak 1.1.2 using the java method. After this do the soft-upgrade installer method to update to 1.1.3.

Voila, you have a jailbroken and unlocked 1.1.3 iPhone. Give me a call if you have any issues.
Code:
98201 17970

Have a 8gb iphone and the version shown is 1.0.2(1c28) how to upgrade the version,till date the phone was working fine but now i am not able to access my sms the moment i touch the Icon in the main menu it opens for a sec and its back to the main menu

Followed your "modmyifone" link, worked like a charm tracerbullet.

Thanks a billion for your recommendations!

Working an unlocked 1.1.3 like a charm.

Unrealistic said:
Followed your "modmyifone" link, worked like a charm tracerbullet.

Thanks a billion for your recommendations!

Working an unlocked 1.1.3 like a charm.

Excellent, I was going to text you sometime today and ask whether it worked.

By the way, I updated to 1.1.3 through iTunes and then used ZiPhone to jailbreak/activate and anySIM 1.3 to unlock. The whole process was pretty seamless and took about 20 minutes. The only issue I encountered was that ziPhone refused to do anything to my iPhone until I restarted the Mac and re-ran the program. Oh, and iWorld isn't required on 1.1.3 either!

Members updated my phone to 1.1.3 and ran zipphone2.2 and its working great,my query in the installer is their any app to add ringtones if so which one or is their any way to do it thanks

You can just use your "Audio Encoding" Software to record clips of the songs you want to use as a ring tone. Then convert it to AAC in iTunes, then rename the extension to ".m4r" and drag it to iTunes, it should be saved in "Ringtones". After that, just sync your iPhone and you're done.

There's a more detailed guide out there, but I've lost all my bookmarks. There are videos on youtube too.

On a side note, when I used ZiPhone, it kept looping the "Jailbreak & Activate" software mod for almost 10-15 minutes, I guess it was stuck. I knew the activation worked 'cause I could slide the "Unlock slider" and then it would loop the program again.

Eventually I got frustrated, timed it right and just pulled the cord out, and bam, I released my iPhone, then Forced Quit the application.

Besides that, the process was quite easy. Got all my data back too through a sync with iTunes, got Ringtones working etc.

One thing's really neat in 1.1.3 apart from placing bookmarks on your home screen is that the maximum number of text messages you can store is now 75,000 as opposed to a relatively measly 1,000 in 1.1.2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back