The Definitive Nokia 5800XM Thread!!!

I'm thinking of buying a 2nd hand 5800xm.
Could someone following this thread (of 125 pages) summarize what I should be aware of/look out for while buying? like for example, to check if the 2nd hand handset i'm gonna get is not of the 1st batch as the 1st batch one's had some problem with the lcd (thats what I picked up while reading a few pages here)

And what's with the blue and black version?

PhOeNiX said:
It's gone.
Aw man, thats the most Important feature!! What the hell were they thinking to remove it?

MenTaLLyMenTaL said:
I'm thinking of buying a 2nd hand 5800xm.
Could someone following this thread (of 125 pages) summarize what I should be aware of/look out for while buying? like for example, to check if the 2nd hand handset i'm gonna get is not of the 1st batch as the 1st batch one's had some problem with the lcd (thats what I picked up while reading a few pages here)

And what's with the blue and black version?

Look for a set as new as possible, probably one manufactured on or after Sept-Oct 2009 (I'm talking about the manufacturing date and not the purchase date). By this time most of the hardware problems of 5800 like LCD problem and the earpiece problem were fixed. I think even the ones manufactured after June 2009 were free from problems though I'm not sure about that. Then update it with the v40 or v50 firmware if it isn't updated already, and it's all good. :)

I own a full black model, and prefer it over blue and red models, although its only a personal opinion.

Even though I like the performance improvements with the music player in v50, I hate two things very much:

1. Removing "Find" feature from player menu.

2. There is a considerably big delay when switching between songs listing and playlist listing. For some strange reason, playlist listing takes around 20-30 seconds at times, even though I have only 9-10 playlists. I have around 2000 songs, but I never felt any unnecessary delay in its loading.

2 bugs which I noticed:

1. When I launch the player first time, there is no "Go to Now Playing" option in the "Options" menu. I need to press down/up and select the menu again to get this option.

2. After I switch on the phone, the volume up/down keys doesn't work with the music player the first time it's launched. I have to make some call and press the volume up/down keys for it to become functional with the music player.

Don't know if these are specific to mine. :(

EDIT: Just came across this which may explain why some features are missing in the v50 we got.

I am beginning to not like the v50 so much. Changing from portrait to landscape mode in the input mode [T9 to QWERTY] is taking considerably longer, and also doesn't work properly if the phone is at an angle to the ground and turned around.

For the pics and menus though, the accelerometer is better than before.

arun687 said:
Look for a set as new as possible, probably one manufactured on or after Sept-Oct 2009 (I'm talking about the manufacturing date and not the purchase date). By this time most of the hardware problems of 5800 like LCD problem and the earpiece problem were fixed. I think even the ones manufactured after June 2009 were free from problems though I'm not sure about that. Then update it with the v40 or v50 firmware if it isn't updated already, and it's all good. :)

I own a full black model, and prefer it over blue and red models, although its only a personal opinion.

1) How do I check for the manufacturing date?
2) The blue, red, and black versions differ in the firmware versions slightly I see. Are there any compatibilty problems due to that for any apps and for firmware upgrades?

One problem I have started noticing since v50 is that the phone often gets "stuck" in landscape mode, especially in the messaging screen and the menu.

To get back portrait mode, you have to return to the home screen, and then open whatever menu or app you were trying to run, and even then it doesn't work sometimes.

Also with the camera, the flash seems to be slightly too fast for the shutter, so that photos are poorly and unevenly lighted.
Is there any way to return the phone to the state it was in when purchased (factory condition)? When you use *#7370# or even the red-green-camera-power reset combo, some apps stillremain installed.

I would like the phone to be completely cleared of all data.

MenTaLLyMenTaL said:
1) How do I check for the manufacturing date?
2) The blue, red, and black versions differ in the firmware versions slightly I see. Are there any compatibilty problems due to that for any apps and for firmware upgrades?

1) Manufacturing date will be printed on the original box.
2) There may be slight variations in the firmware numbers for different colors but no difference in features or compatibility with apps that I know of. Regarding updates, you shouldn't worry too much about this as all the models will get the updates.

Hello,
I updated to version 50, after hard reset I restored the backup settings. But after then Smart Guard software is not working, I uninstalled the app then reinstalled but at the time of opening it is showing same message, "The application is not valid". Do some one know how to get rid of this situation?

Metalspree said:
Will changing the product code void warranty ??.I am about to do it now . I am following the guide given by gforce

i guess no
my product code changed by nokia care :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

problem is vodafone homescreen not working in v50
anybody has similar issues

pillainp said:
One problem I have started noticing since v50 is that the phone often gets "stuck" in landscape mode, especially in the messaging screen and the menu.

To get back portrait mode, you have to return to the home screen, and then open whatever menu or app you were trying to run, and even then it doesn't work sometimes.

Also with the camera, the flash seems to be slightly too fast for the shutter, so that photos are poorly and unevenly lighted.
Is there any way to return the phone to the state it was in when purchased (factory condition)? When you use *#7370# or even the red-green-camera-power reset combo, some apps stillremain installed.

I would like the phone to be completely cleared of all data.

by factory default it comes with some app installed like maps,ovi store,ovi sync ,dictionary etc

Now i am stuck the guide given by gforce is not working properly thanks god i did not brick the phone.I am lazy to search the entire thread .Can some one post a guide to change the product code so that i can install the latest firmware??

after the v50 update, my phone reboots itself atleast 10times a day, and each time i send out a new text msg, and return to the homescreen it reboots :(

After the firmware upgrade, the music player is unable to add music to the library. Any work around, currently using a free music player from Ovi app store. :((

Back