The Definitive Nokia 5800XM Thread!!!

A weird problem i am facing, my phone get switched off after sometime(randomly not after fixed interval). It started doing after I changed my region code to update new firmware. I was thinking this could be due to non-stable release of firmware but again when I updated latest v40 firmware after changing region code, coz even though Nokia released firmware for Indian version but for my region code, NSU still says "No update available".

Though I tried everything like soft reset, hard reset, memory card format but still facing same issue. Visiting Nokia care would be my last resort. Any help !!!

^^how about going back to V31 firmware?

Metalspree said:
Thanks to all for answering my queries.Now i have decided to get the 5800XM especially after i saw a video on the kinetic scrolling.

always always take a demo before getting it. Especially since you never had a touch screen mobile, it's better to check and buy.

Is there any dept. where 5800XM lags the 5230 ? Because when ( after 2 months ) I'm gonna buy 5230, it won't be available I guess. :no: So I may have to get the 5800XM as I don't wanna sacrifice both 3G and WiFi. :(

Metalspree said:
3) Do the nokia maps use the GPS/GPRS??

Nokia maps can be used with or without GPRS. With GPRS it is faster since AGPS makes it easy to get a satellite lock. Speaking from experience with 5230.

desiibond said:
^^how about going back to V31 firmware?

always always take a demo before getting it. Especially since you never had a touch screen mobile, it's better to check and buy.

Earlier I was on v31 and also it doesn't make sense going to earlier version leaving current good features. :no:

guys i bought mine like 20 days ago, and like on the third day of my possession i upgraded to v40 .. in that short span before upgrading the firmware i didnt had the time to check the apps , specifically Download! app , and now i want the quickoffice viewer,v40 dosent have that Download! app and afaik the quickoffice viewer aint available on ovi. neither could i find it on any other forum.. even installing the demo of reader 2.5 or older quickoffice and trying to install it from available upgrades dosent work (asks me to install the core Package first .. or smthin like that.) plz suggest me smthin..

and btw .. on ur remote desktop front.. ive found this app called "symNC" that lets u log on ur pc using RDP. be sure to turn RDP on, on ur pc before using it.

I wanted to purchase a 5800Xm, but had following doubts.
1) can camera clarity be improved via firmware , since I have heard the camer is very bad for a 3.2 mp
2) also does the screen have a chance to get spoilt or be less responsive over time or with excessive usage?

So what is a good price for this phone right now? A shop that I usually go to quoted 13K with free Sennheiser headphones. I would have thought it's become cheaper.

vebk said:
So what is a good price for this phone right now? A shop that I usually go to quoted 13K with free Sennheiser headphones. I would have thought it's become cheaper.

nah. 13k is a pretty good price if it's coming with Sennhieser headphones.

I remember that at the time it was coming for about 14-15K some store had quoted that if I didn't take the headphones they would give it to me for 13.5K. Is that a common practice? The store I went to today was not ready to give me a discount in lieu of the headphones.

Anybody know how to mark multiple files/messages in a flick, no need to go to annoying mark each time option

And lastly does anybody u know how to COMPLETELY(no switching of profiles) turn off the camera sounds.

I would thank u a million times if u share this :)

^ hmmm that doesn't seem to be too good a solution as you have to start that program every time you have to select multiple items (at least that's what the article seems to be saying) or even if it permanently assigns a button (say the red key) then you can't use that to exit the program.

Does v40 not fix this?

sabby said:
Is there any dept. where 5800XM lags the 5230 ? Because when ( after 2 months ) I'm gonna buy 5230, it won't be available I guess. :no: So I may have to get the 5800XM as I don't wanna sacrifice both 3G and WiFi. :(

No one ?? :no:

sabby said:
No one ?? :no:
hmm. Check Samsung Galaxy Spica instead (if you max budget is 13k-14k). among 5230 and 5800XM, I would go for 5800XM anyday.

wifi is going to penetrate into our life lot more faster. And thanks to secondary camera, you can do video calling (if you go for 3G) using 5800 XM (which is a distant dream though).

Thanks desiibond. :) I'm still more interested in 5230 than 5800XM as 5k diff is not worth to my requirements. But the availability might be an issue then. Hope 5800XM will get further price cut after 2-3 months and I wanna plug in better IEMs with it. Btw, here in Kolkata, Video calling is available with BSNL and dirt cheap. 30p for local and 60p for STD. :eek:hyeah:

I saw the Spica. But I decided to go for Symbian this time as I am eying for a bigger Maemo/Android phone later. :p

hey guys ,, i had purchased nokia 5800xpress around Nov 09, its has firmware V30, i m unable to upgrade it to V40 over the net, as it says no new data found, is there any way to get it upgraded over net without changing the product codes,,, if not then is changing the code my only option?? neway sorry if this question been answered before, but any help regarding this would be great, i m also googling to find how to upgrade the firmware n all.. thanx in advance.

redscorpion_11 said:
hey guys ,, i had purchased nokia 5800xpress around Nov 09, its has firmware V30, i m unable to upgrade it to V40 over the net, as it says no new data found, is there any way to get it upgraded over net without changing the product codes,,, if not then is changing the code my only option?? neway sorry if this question been answered before, but any help regarding this would be great, i m also googling to find how to upgrade the firmware n all.. thanx in advance.
If there isnt a software upgrade available for your product code, there are only two ways around it

Change the code yourself and upgrade

Or

Step 1. Make a backup copy of all data you want off the phone.
Step 2. Walk into a Nokia Store and ask them to upgrade the device software to v40.
Step 3. Done!

While it is simpler to upgrade from the comfort of your own house :) Sometimes unfortunately the simplest way is to have Nokia Store people do it for you.

my fren is facing a weird problem.he updated to the latest firmware and since then the battery backup has reduced a lot.he sends around 100 msgs a day and talks for around half an hour and maybe half an hour of music if time permits .with this usage his battery drains off from full charge to 10% in around 20 hrs.any soln??

Back