The Definitive Nokia 5800XM Thread!!!

Re: convert video

For point no five, please find my post here. May be it will be useful

baccilus said:
This is a huge thread. Can someone please put all the usefull information on the first post itself. It's a little difficult to go through all the posts. I also have the following questions:

1) How can I get internet settings in my phone from Nokia rather than Vodafone (which is my connection)? It's a huge hassle to get anything through the customer care. It was pretty easy for the Sony Ericsson phone I had earlier. I can't find anything on their website.

2) How can I delete all the internet settings from my SIM card? They were for my last phone. So when I try to get it from Vodafone using the required code, it says my settings are already installed.

3) Can someone please point me to a tutorial on how to install softwares on this phone.

4) Finally what are the must have applications for this phone. I especially need an ebook reader. I need Quick office too but it is paid. Is there any good free alternative?

5) How can I best convert videos in the Nokia 5800 supported format? I would like to have them in the native 640X360 resolution. Can't find anything useful on net. Have tried many applications since morning. The Avivo converter doesn't let me choose the output resolution.

baccilus said:
The new firmware seems to have broken the WiFi. It doesn't stay connected for more than 5-10 seconds even with 100% signal strength :-(

No Problems for me.

My home is connected to my Home network via Wifi for about 10-12hours a day. didn't get any disconnections or loss in signal quality

baccilus said:
The new firmware seems to have broken the WiFi. It doesn't stay connected for more than 5-10 seconds even with 100% signal strength :-(

Did u do a hard reset after the firmware update? i too had some other issues which got resolved by hard reset.

Backup all ur data before hard reset.. u hv been warned.

No I didn't. I will do that and see if it works. I think the new firmware is awesome. I especially like the new home screen and how it has made things easier.

Hells_Fury said:
PS - Whats a Hard Reset?

If you press the green, red and the Camera key all at the same time while the phone is booting up ( that means you have to restart it), it will reset to the factory settings. Many people are recommending this after updating to the latest firmware. Hope it helps.

v40 firmware update is not available for me as NSU says no update available. Do anyone know when update may be available as my current version is v30? How many days need to wait?

baccilus said:
If you press the green, red and the Camera key all at the same time while the phone is booting up ( that means you have to restart it), it will reset to the factory settings. Many people are recommending this after updating to the latest firmware. Hope it helps.

Thanks for the info. After doing a hard reset, if I restore my backup file, all my settings will be intact right?

^^

yes.

and fyi these codes can also be used for resetting ;)

Soft reset (no need to back up data) *#7380#

Hard reset (all data will be lost) *#7370# and enter pincode 12345

_

alto said:
v40 firmware update is not available for me as NSU says no update available. Do anyone know when update may be available as my current version is v30? How many days need to wait?

Only nokia can answer this Q, the firmwares are released in phases for each product code.

There are ways to change the product code and update the firmware and revert the changes... but that means ur warranty is at stake. so please have it in mind.

Hells_Fury said:
Thanks for the info. After doing a hard reset, if I restore my backup file, all my settings will be intact right?

what i found is that if you restore the whole backup, you will not get the 5530 style homescreen. so i did the hard reset, and restored the messages/contacts/notes/bookmarks

_pappu_ said:
what i found is that if you restore the whole backup, you will not get the 5530 style homescreen. so i did the hard reset, and restored the messages/contacts/notes/bookmarks

yes I also had the samm experience :bleh:

don't restore the 'settings/applications'

_

MaRKiV said:
Only nokia can answer this Q, the firmwares are released in phases for each product code.

There are ways to change the product code and update the firmware and revert the changes... but that means ur warranty is at stake. so please have it in mind.

I don't wanna take risk on warranty issue, I'm gonna wait....

Back