The Fitness Thread !

Re: The Fitness Thread !

agm_105 said:
hi i m from Navi Mumbai ....

Can anyone suggest me good gym around vashi or nerul
i have been to golds gym ...they got a good facility but the annual membership seems to be bit pricey.. 14k to be specific..
my main motive would be reducing stomach and waist...

you can try LM gym at D.Y.Patil stadium if that is close to where u live. Its a world class gym. my friend worked there as a trainer. let me know if it fine for u. then ill try to get contacts from there.

Thanks.
thetoxicmind said:
Title changed.

Build Muscle & Lose Fat Through Strength Training | StrongLifts.com

Start with this as laid out without making any changes no matter the biggest guy in the gym says it is wrong/useless/crap etc. U will have to rely on milk, soya beans, cottage cheese, proteinx etc.
Azzaboi said:
Hi,I am planning to join a gym [200 wala :p ] soon. Ht 5'8" /Wt 63kgs.
Anyone suggest how should I start with? What food would be best for my development.I am quite thin want to gain some muscle mass.I cant afford proteins pack etc and am a pure vegetarian [no eggs also].How should my daily diet be?

No. Stick with what u did in the last session, if u feel fine after sunday's session increase repetitions in the third session, keep timings same. Also: Take detailed photographs of yourself (front/side/back), take waist, arms, chest & leg measurement, email the pics to yourself to track progress/changes. Also make a detailed log, wih your BW and the whatever u do in the sessions, email the file to yourself, every time u do sessions, edit the file and email it to yourself again)
RKitect said:
The sprint was really all out. my quads are still sore. but i really enjoyed it. next session on Sunday. Do u think i shud change the interval for the next session?

Here I come back again with my queries Rockfella :p and other folks

I took a Physio and Diet session at my gym 2 weeks back
Physio told me that though i lot nearly 15kgs weight, since its mostly by cardio, i would have lost some percentage of my muscles as well, effectively my BMR (basic metabolism rate) would also have gone down
So he told me to do more of circuit exercises and very less of cardio

Nutritionist asked me to supplement Whey protein BUT specifically told only on the day of workout(after)
Not on other days
Also asked to drink lots of water

Here are my circuit exercises on alternate days
apart from the warm ups, stretching, core and shoulder strengthening
1. Back Squat
2. Row to Neck
3. Flys
4. Abs crunch
5. Oblique crunch
6. Squat with DB
7. Back Extn
8. Lateral Supine

1. Lift up with DB
2. Pullover
3. Chin ups
4. Calf Raise
5. Romanian Deadlifts
6. Swiss ball crunch
7. EZ Bar - Reverse Curls
8. EZ Bar - French Press

atm, i am doing 2 set with recommended tempos and rep count, will imcrease to 3 sets
Please could you tell me if these workouts are fine and any other recommended

Will these workouts + Whey increase my BMR and reduce my weight, tighten body and increase muscles

TIA Spectre

Spectre said:
Thanks a lot mate :hap2:
1. I strained my lower back year and half ago, hence avoiding lifting weights so as not to damage it more
2. I mostly do dumbles, hydraulics during my core, my main requirement is to tighten my waist and buttocks, other sections i am ok with
3. As i understand from your post, Whey/Glutamine must be taken after doing a workout and not before that
And its not to be taken daily but only during workouts, am i right
4. i take normal diet with vegetables and chicken sometimes
No fried, currys etc, i try to avoid any oil ladden things as much as possible

5. Thanks for the Whey links, my bro already bought a 5lbs Gold standard Whey and not using it, is that good enough
Will buy ur choice, once it gets over
6. Noob question - does these whey/glutamine cause any increase in weight :bleh: i certainly dont want that again

Sorry bro. i don't have good knowledge about circuit training. It is just another form of loosing weight, is very demanding and advanced. If i were u i would concentrate on getting strong and change diet/add cardio to loose weight 'coz thats the best way of being and staying fit forever!

Spectre said:
Here I come back again with my queries Rockfella :p and other folks

I took a Physio and Diet session at my gym 2 weeks back

Physio told me that though i lot nearly 15kgs weight, since its mostly by cardio, i would have lost some percentage of my muscles as well, effectively my BMR (basic metabolism rate) would also have gone down

So he told me to do more of circuit exercises and very less of cardio

Nutritionist asked me to supplement Whey protein BUT specifically told only on the day of workout(after)

Not on other days

Also asked to drink lots of water

Here are my circuit exercises on alternate days

apart from the warm ups, stretching, core and shoulder strengthening

1. Back Squat

2. Row to Neck

3. Flys

4. Abs crunch

5. Oblique crunch

6. Squat with DB

7. Back Extn

8. Lateral Supine

1. Lift up with DB

2. Pullover

3. Chin ups

4. Calf Raise

5. Romanian Deadlifts

6. Swiss ball crunch

7. EZ Bar - Reverse Curls

8. EZ Bar - French Press

atm, i am doing 2 set with recommended tempos and rep count, will imcrease to 3 sets

Please could you tell me if these workouts are fine and any other recommended

Will these workouts + Whey increase my BMR and reduce my weight, tighten body and increase muscles

TIA Spectre

Do suggest some exercises for the following :

* Tight, Toned Tummy (I do the two basic types of crunches every once in a while :ashamed:)

* Chest Tightening (Do some really basic exercises for that)

I don't really have the time to go to a gym, so looking for basic exercises and a suitable routine to follow.

I also lift dumbells but don't think that might help here !?

TIA.

1) Free hand squats 3 sets x F

2) Push-Ups 4 sets x F

3) Pull-ups 4 sets x F

4) Bench Dips 4 sets x F

5) Prone Bridges 3 sets x 30 secs (increase 5 secs every week)

OR

6) Reverse Crunches 3 sets x F

^^^^^ Do this 3 X week, mon/wed/fri OR tue/thurs/sat.

Do prone bridges one workout, reverse crunches the next.

PS: All exercises can be done @ home. U just need something to hang on to for pull-ups/chin-ups. Do in the same order as given, F = as much as u can with proper form.

Force yourself to do more reps everytime :p

EDIT: However since u want a tight tummy and hard chest (human body is not like a PC that we can add RAM to it and change cabinet that easily... this is wrong approach as the human body works best in a synergy) U may consider doing:

Push-ups (5 sets to failure) every third day with prone bridges OR Reverse crunches every alternate day.

thetoxicmind said:
Do suggest some exercises for the following :

* Tight, Toned Tummy (I do the two basic types of crunches every once in a while :ashamed:)

* Chest Tightening (Do some really basic exercises for that)

I don't really have the time to go to a gym, so looking for basic exercises and a suitable routine to follow.

I also lift dumbells but don't think that might help here !?

TIA.

Have started running again and I am feeling a little bit of pain .. How can I strengthen my calf and legs ? Will join the gym soon.

I too want to know that for Jogging what matters most, duration or distance?

Like as beginner I run out of breath in just 5 minutes and distance covered is unknown as don't have a pedometer but I know that if I run fast, don't jog, I can cover more distance but then again gonna exhaust myself even sooner, so what is the way to go about Jogging?

Dark Star said:
Have started running again and I am feeling a little bit of pain .. How can I strengthen my calf and legs ? Will join the gym soon.

cycling or if you can run in deep sand - like on a beach.

Actually running on beach like surface is more harmfull as it puts extra pressure on the joints...

If u can explain in which parts you are feeling pain it would be helpfull to resolve

One answer: Squats. Same thing used to happen with me. I cud barely jog, now i squat 50+kg and can jog without pain. That is why i always say "GET STRONG"!

Dark Star said:

Both matter, if u run for short bursts it will be HIIT, if u jog for more time it will be long-steady cardio. U need to build leg strength, so do squats first, make ur legs strong, running will be easier.

Ryunosuke said:
I too want to know that for Jogging what matters most, duration or distance?

Like as beginner I run out of breath in just 5 minutes and distance covered is unknown as don't have a pedometer but I know that if I run fast, don't jog, I can cover more distance but then again gonna exhaust myself even sooner, so what is the way to go about Jogging?

He is in chandigarh, no beaches around.

6pack said:
cycling or if you can run in deep sand - like on a beach.

@RF : Yep will do that but thats for gym. What can I do to make before that ?

Here is what I do . Wake up at 5:30 and run till 6:30 , then at 5pm in the evening I used to cycle at very high speed for more than half an hour .. Will join gym soon once I get my own bike :p

Back