The Fitness Thread !

Re: The Fitness Thread !

My BMI is 30 and I've started going to a gym since christmas. As of right now, I do about 150 calories a day split between two sessions, purely on a threadmill and about a 1km of walk. I plan to lose weight but build up very little muscle if not none in the process. Is that sufficient or should I be burning a lot more? When can I expect to see any significant weight loss? Some friend also suggested that I try some accelerator called "Lipo 6", is that recommended? My primary concern is to lose weight really fast.

My daily diet, since about two weeks now is

Breakfast : Oatmeal cooked in water w/ beans and carrot ~ 150ml

Lunch : 2x roti w/ boiled vegetables

Dinner : Same as breakfast and an apple or pomegranate

Misc : A cup of coffee

I have started my training again from 1st. Its great for the body in the cold of Delhi with maximum temps around 13 deg these days. This time i am planning to do more of weight training rather then Cardio or cross training. I wanna reduce in size rather then loose weight and i guess that will require dedication. Lets see. Current BMI around 29.

@kauzy :

Bravo!!Totally Appreciate your dedication and hence the results !V.good...........

as Saiyan said...share ur diet and workout plans

Phail! :S:huh::no:

damn said:
My BMI is 30 and I've started going to a gym since christmas. As of right now, I do about 150 calories a day split between two sessions, purely on a threadmill and about a 1km of walk. I plan to lose weight but build up very little muscle if not none in the process. Is that sufficient or should I be burning a lot more? When can I expect to see any significant weight loss? Some friend also suggested that I try some accelerator called "Lipo 6", is that recommended? My primary concern is to lose weight really fast.

My daily diet, since about two weeks now is

Breakfast : Oatmeal cooked in water w/ beans and carrot ~ 150ml

Lunch : 2x roti w/ boiled vegetables

Dinner : Same as breakfast and an apple or pomegranate

Misc : A cup of coffee

^He'll loose some weight alright but lots of muscle loss in the process.

@damn, damn man, your diet ain't going to work. You need to eat.

What is your height and weight.

hehe.. thnx guys.. :)

well i used to eat like anything.. so here is what i had everyday::eek:hyeah:
1 dozen bananas
1 litre milk(including whey protein 2 times a day)
around 8 eggs
half a kilo of chicken
Lots of vitamins
+ regular lunch and dinner..

first it was hard to digest all the things.. but then i got used to it..

work out plans:
on Monday and thursday I used to do : Chest ,shoulder and triceps
on tuesday and friday: back and biceps
on wednesday: Abs training
on saturday: Legs

I was very lucky to have a good fitness trainer who was more dedicated than me.. And also a friend of mine who led me do this.. A special thanks to him.. This was all done for revenge :devil:

Saiyan said:
@damn, damn man, your diet ain't going to work. You need to eat.
I mostly am at my desk all day, there isn't much activity besides the gym routine. I barely experience any fatigue after about 10 mins after the 75 cals on threadmill, sometimes I can even push up to 100 cals. I was thinking if I could maybe add Subway salads into a steady diet though. I'm vegetarian, do I have any other options?
Saiyan said:
What is your height and weight.
167/84
And could you give me a rough approximate of how much calories I should be burning everyday? I can nearly do 200 on a thread mill everyday now.

Thanks in advance!

great! Now do 5 X 5, your strength gains will almost double! trust me :cool2:

kauzy said:
hehe.. thnx guys.. :)

well i used to eat like anything.. so here is what i had everyday::eek:hyeah:

1 dozen bananas

1 litre milk(including whey protein 2 times a day)

around 8 eggs

half a kilo of chicken

Lots of vitamins

+ regular lunch and dinner..

first it was hard to digest all the things.. but then i got used to it..

work out plans:

on Monday and thursday I used to do : Chest ,shoulder and triceps

on tuesday and friday: back and biceps

on wednesday: Abs training

on saturday: Legs

I was very lucky to have a good fitness trainer who was more dedicated than me.. And also a friend of mine who led me do this.. A special thanks to him.. This was all done for revenge :devil:

hehe.. i know i can.. but after coming here, i've lost a bit of weight.. :(

its really freezing n loads of studies really doesn't allow me to visit the gym everyday.. its sad but true.. :cry:

It is good however u can spend lesser money and get proteins from soya beans, milk, chana etc. Supplements are just supplements, more costly.. difficult to afford on a regular bases, keep in mind u need ur bodyweight x 2.2 = Xgms of prots everyday. So if u r 70 kgs u need 75x2.2= 165lbs = 165grams of proteins every damn day!! One box of soy protein won't give u arnold body, u need it everyday every month every year... forever if u become regular weight trainer.

als said:
hi all

how is soya protein as for the veggies.

Bigger disadvantage is that rubber kills the enthu of weight training (my opinion also shared by many hardcores i know) pushing metals gives an ego boost. Gyms have rubber coated weights for added security, the whole idea of rubber weights was to dump it on the ground in the last power reps of the last sets doing heavy compound movements but it has taken a different route alltogether! Gym owners prefer rubber weights because their floor doesnot get damaged rofl! Rubber is cheaper, i hate it personally. Nothing beats the clinging of raw iron in a sweaty gmy not the fancy clubs we have everywhere these days. If u ask me i would join a cheap desi akhara (and spend the major chunk of money on food etc) with good metal weights and grunt with weights with a simple soleless/airless non-fancy shoes, bare hands no grips. Some people train with 4k expensive reebok shoes = crazy!!! fancy shoes give unwanted cushioning while weight training which is not goood. i wear Rs. 550 liberty gliders :rofl: keeps my legs stable and head focussed :cool2: wear the fancy shoes only for running/jogging. Your idea of using school bag is great, just make sure u keep a track of what weight u put inside the bag and also MAKE SURE THE BAG IS kinda towards ur upper back, right in between your scapulas NOT THE LOWER BACK FOR heaven's SAKE!!

ss_rakesh said:
one disadvantage of rubber dumbs, is they smell like tyre :S.It will be very irritating for some ppl like me. never thought about this, Can I use a backpack to add weight? Can Use kids school bag to add some weight in the upper back :D

BMI is very very general measurement! use the mirror, click pics of bare body from front side and rear = best benchmark! Focus on strength, DO 5 x 5 as posted by me in the previous posts of this thread (originally done by Reg Park idol of Arnold, bill pearl = father of power training and mark rippetoe) Don't aim for weight loss, aim for strength = rest everything will happen automatically with good diet and rest! Deadlifting and squatting will boost your ego like an overclocked QUAD CORE! if u can squat more u WILL RUN longer, like many people believe in spot reduction and also that running/jogging makes the legs powerful is HORSE****.

Switch said:
I have started my training again from 1st. Its great for the body in the cold of Delhi with maximum temps around 13 deg these days. This time i am planning to do more of weight training rather then Cardio or cross training. I wanna reduce in size rather then loose weight and i guess that will require dedication. Lets see. Current BMI around 29.

Then doing 5 x 5 will make even more sense as u have to do it only 3 times a week. trust me, don't underestimate this workout. It will drain u mentally and bodywise and increase CNS activity and obviously overall power and mass! Your bench press, shoulder press will increase once u start squatting and deadlifting! Not doing squats/DLs wasting time in isolation exercises like barbell curls is like running a PC on a cheap Rs. 300 one PSU which the fools do hehe :cool2: U can do barbell curls but it should not be your top priority, priority should be : SQUATS, DLS, BENCH PRESS, OVERHEAD PRESS, BODYWEIGHT DIPS, CHIN-UPS AND WIDE GRIP CHINNING. Increase your reps in wide grip chins, soon u will be able to shake the whole damn lat machine! On the other hand even if u lift 150 kgs on the lat machine, u don't be able to many pull-ups! Pull-ups are harder but once the results start showing u won't look back!

kauzy said:
hehe.. i know i can.. but after coming here, i've lost a bit of weight.. :(

its really freezing n loads of studies really doesn't allow me to visit the gym everyday.. its sad but true.. :cry:

U are wrong it is 1gram per pound of body weight. Don't read the regular fitness magazines in which they say 1gram per kg body weight.
als said:
^^ i think is is 1 gm per kg

Ok I need tips on reducing fat around belly, there is some flab/flat around and in belly so what exercise should I do . I am currently doing lower abs (leg raises of 3 different kind - 15 reps/3sets each) , and tips on how to tighten the belly as well /?

Dark Star said:
Ok I need tips on reducing fat around belly, there is some flab/flat around and in belly so what exercise should I do . I am currently doing lower abs (leg raises of 3 different kind - 15 reps/3sets each) , and tips on how to tighten the belly as well /?

There is no way to reduce 'belly fat'.

Your ab exercises will create muscles under the fat, but not reduce fat. If anything, it could make the belly look larger. The only way to fix this is to reduce overall body fat. Which is, of course, by the way of diet control (less intake of calories) and exercise (burn calories).

Well started Gymming last week, mainly for weight reduction :p Started with the basic excercises, like cylcing and treadmill for a couple of days and now have moved into crunches & lifts.

One question, my trainer is suggesting that i move into weights slowly, but then again i need to build up my stamina (i am really unfit in the real sense of the word, no stamina :p). For this he is suggesting some supplement. Should i go ahead with it ?

Also any tips for a more balanced weight loss ? Trying to control my diet :ashamed:

if its weight reduction you are looking for -- this is what i did---- i weighed 99.98 kgs -- thanks to all the engg prep --got into engg college---i lost 38 kgs in 6 months---at the end of first year i was at 62kg.

what i did::

run 8km everyday and walk for 8km a day(included walking to the railway station and back,walking from station to college)

drank 6-8 litres of water on a minimum and upto 12 litres on the hot summer days.

cut down totally on fast food junk food and fats.

shifted from rice to rotis.

from my second year i started working out and did circuit for 2 whole months to regain stamina and strength. then started with weight training.trained for 2 years for 2-3 hours a day--indulged in swimming too---at the end of sem 7 i weighed 73kgs with a lean body---i stayed all alone in mumbai and had almost no cash in my pockets for eggs and chicken--thanks to all the tech shopping.relied heavily on supplements creatine and whey protein initially and then only whey protein.helped me a get a lean body.

then the problems began---sem 8 no time for gymming quite literally.

passed out and still not ime to gymming thanks to my job and travel schedule.

now i've shifted to ahmedabad for the last 8 months and with no workout for a period of one whole year my body weight has remained the same but i have lost my muscle tone and definition.

i've started again by walking and jogging.

moral of the story--don't depend on supplements only to boost your body mass--never use it as a meal replacement(my biggest mistake).if you want a lean body --cardio with weight training is a must.

Reducing fat around belly = BULL! Spot reduction is a myth! Squat and run, eat a low carb diet, infact have carbs post workout only. Tummy will reduce gradually, but fat from other parts will vanish first! Also do reverse crunches.
Dark Star said:

He is suggesting supplements because he wants to sell it to you on profit. Don't listen to him, its the same thing like taking advice from computer selling shop keepers to buy hardware (they don;t know shit) :lol: Start compound exercises, change the food u eat and u will be fine. Having things like hydroxycut etc wont be of nay use since u are just starting as u haave weak legs.
PhOeNiX said:
Well started Gymming last week, mainly for weight reduction :p Started with the basic excercises, like cylcing and treadmill for a couple of days and now have moved into crunches & lifts.

One question, my trainer is suggesting that i move into weights slowly, but then again i need to build up my stamina (i am really unfit in the real sense of the word, no stamina :p). For this he is suggesting some supplement. Should i go ahead with it ?

Also any tips for a more balanced weight loss ? Trying to control my diet :ashamed:

Back