The Fitness Thread !

Re: The Fitness Thread !

Rockfella said:
You are right, i am not Mr. India, neither can i lift 60kg overhead press for reps. What you don't understand is that starting out with only dumbells is foolishness. Its like doing it half-way when he can start with barbells and gain power/mass much faster. Thatswhy i see lot of gym rats who pay heavy fees in fancy fee and even after 1-2 yeras there is no significant change in their bodies/fitness levels whatsoever. Problem with human body is that unlike PCs u just can't buy 4-8GB ram and install it. body works in a different way, to get used to working out with dumbells he will first needs to get used to correct form first, to gain power he HAS TO LIFT HEAVY, lifting heavy dumbells needs some experience, is less productive than lifting heavy barbells to gain muscle/power ONE HAS TO LIFT HEAVIER EACH WEEK/MONTH ....... there are many things, he needs to take the baby steps first, u can't suggest him to sprint rightaway! Barbells are the best way to start along with calisthenics NOT DUMBELLS! Bro it is complicated and i know what i am talking about. It is so much detailed that i can't post everything here. if u want to know the reasons then u r most welcome to add me in yahoo etc i can explain.

Come to think of it, you are actually right. Barbells would be an easier (and faster) way to add more weight to increase size and power. However, working on the same exercises with dumb bells does add a bit of randomness (which can only help) as well as exercising the stability muscles around the body which might not come into play when using barbells. Alternating between the two forms is the best way to building stability and power I guess.

@Keane: Barbells aren't too expensive. If you're in the US, head over to Wally world or Costco to pick something up for cheap. If you're in Delhi, I can give you the number of a distributor who deals in fitness equipment.

Not easier bro, it is more difficult :). yes adding variety/variation is very good but we need that after some months of regular good basic heavy training. let him get started first. Calisthenics are great specially for beginners if they can't buy weight/have no time for gym etc.

gforce said:
Come to think of it, you are actually right. Barbells would be an easier (and faster) way to add more weight to increase size and power. However, working on the same exercises with dumb bells does add a bit of randomness (which can only help) as well as exercising the stability muscles around the body which might not come into play when using barbells. Alternating between the two forms is the best way to building stability and power I guess.

@Keane: Barbells aren't too expensive. If you're in the US, head over to Wally world or Costco to pick something up for cheap. If you're in Delhi, I can give you the number of a distributor who deals in fitness equipment.

mihirpradhan204 said:
Hmm.. Thanx for the help.. I guess I've to cut down my junk food intake then.. :)

Which exercises do you suggest BTW?

My height is 5.7 and weight is 70..

Hello Mihir, your ideal weight should be between 64 and 68 so you are not THAT fat. The way you described yourself I thought that you were obese. :) You just need to do a few simple things. I will PM you with a set of exercise which you will need to do for 4 weeks , 3 times per week and the crap you need to avoid eating. NO cardio exercises involved. You can do it inside your house in minimum space. ( you can do them in a park also if you feel like :) ) And of course, if you feel like you can also go for 30- 45 minutes of brisk walks on the alternate days.

But first please PM me your current lifestyle routine and your age as well so that I can get an idea of how busy you are. Irrespective of that, these exercises will take you a maximum of 45 minutes a day so that is no big deal. Your honesty to YOURSELF is the only thing that will matter to help you lose your weight PERMANENTLY.

Cya.

What are those magical exercises?
pom99 said:
Hello Mihir, your ideal weight should be between 64 and 68 so you are not THAT fat. The way you described yourself I thought that you were obese. :) You just need to do a few simple things. I will PM you with a set of exercise which you will need to do for 4 weeks , 3 times per week and the crap you need to avoid eating. NO cardio exercises involved. You can do it inside your house in minimum space. ( you can do them in a park also if you feel like :) ) And of course, if you feel like you can also go for 30- 45 minutes of brisk walks on the alternate days.

But first please PM me your current lifestyle routine and your age as well so that I can get an idea of how busy you are. Irrespective of that, these exercises will take you a maximum of 45 minutes a day so that is no big deal. Your honesty to YOURSELF is the only thing that will matter to help you lose your weight PERMANENTLY.
Cya.

Rockfella said:
Even if u buy 3 pairs of dumbells of different weight.. maybe 5,7.5, and 10 kgs all 3 pairs will get useless once u gain strength, then u will need more to gain more strength and this happens till u exercise. instead of buying dumbells buy chin-up bar (if u have to), do chin-ups :cool2:;) Rs. 500 bar, will serve u well for years, will never go waste ;) chin-ups are far more superior than dumbell curls.

Can u plz post a link of chin-up bar you are mentioning?

pom99 said:
Hahahahaaa :) No magic boy. Just lot of hard work and commitment.
I thought you are this hardcore wieght lifting boy. :) Neway, its a set of exercises with sets ans supersets which will get pretty confusing and long if I put it down here. But to satisfy your curiousity, they are basic exercises like bird dog, prisoner squats, kneeling pushups, incline pushups, mountain climbers, ab curls and the like.

I am not hardcore, i am off gym because of a serious rotator cuff injury since july last year :(:S:mad:. Exercises u mentioned are nothing magical. 5 x 5s are more effective combined with long steady cardio. Just wanted to clear your doubts hence asked.

pom99 said:
I thought you are this hardcore wieght lifting boy. :) Neway, its a set of exercises with sets ans supersets which will get pretty confusing and long if I put it down here. But to satisfy your curiousity, they are basic exercises like bird dog, prisoner squats, kneeling pushups, incline pushups, mountain climbers, ab curls and the like.

Rockfella said:
. Exercises u mentioned are nothing magical. 5 x 5s are more effective combined with long steady cardio. Just wanted to clear your doubts hence asked.

My doubts? About what ? I never said I give MAGICAL exercises :) And I will disagree with you about LONG STEADY CARDIO and I have good reasons for that. That is exactly the thing to avoid. But then I don't want to get into debate here boy. So to each his own. :) Hope you get well soon and start exercising again.

HIIT is good but dangerous for beginners boy :)

pom99 said:
My doubts? About what ? I never said I give MAGICAL exercises :) And I will disagree with you about LONG STEADY CARDIO and I have good reasons for that. That is exactly the thing to avoid. But then I don't want to get into debate here boy. So to each his own. :) Hope you get well soon and start exercising again.

Hmm... Well, you seem to have a bad habit of assuming things. First you say I have MAGICAL exercises and now you say I am talking about HIIT. High Intensity Interval Training is unsuitable for beginners, I know that. I never said a word about HIIT. This is my last reply to your assumptions. Take a break and let this poor man exercise in peace.

I assumed that you know more than an average person and my assumption was wrong :)
pom99 said:
Hmm... Well, you seem to have a bad habit of assuming things. First you say I have MAGICAL exercises and now you say I am talking about HIIT. High Intensity Interval Training is unsuitable for beginners, I know that. I never said a word about HIIT. This is my last reply to your assumptions. Take a break and let this poor man exercise in peace.

Unbanned :clap::baby:
kauzy said:
Rockfella banned?? :S

[quote name='Rockfella']I assumed that you know more than an average person and my assumption was wrong :)
If that's what you think, most welcome kid. The pleasure is all mine. :)

That's what i THOUGHT GRAND PA :S
pom99 said:
[quote name='Rockfella']I assumed that you know more than an average person and my assumption was wrong :)
If that's what you think, most welcome kid. The pleasure is all mine. :)

Back