The Fitness Thread !

Re: The Fitness Thread !

can anyone tell me how to build my arms, i want to have stronger wrist and arms.. i want my punch to be stronger too.. i mean i have seen people who are too fatty or too thin but they do have stronger arms/hands.. on the other hand, i have somewhat good strength compared to them but still..

^Both are different :p Arm and Hands. For full development of limbs you can try push ups. I used to have very loose muscles around my hands which now has turned into very tight and perfectly shaped muscles.

Not to mention in the beginning you won't be able to do even 5, just keep doing until you gain strength all over :)

^^ yup i used to do pushups but everytime i have observed that if you are having some fat in your abdominal region then doing pushups will try to push your fat downwards making it a perfect tyre belly.. that's what i've observed in my case, that too a no. of times and everytime the same result.. so now i've decided to stay away from p-ups until my belly becomes like a flatron tv..

Guys...for the last three weeks i have religiously started going for brisk walk + jog (in between walks). But from last week i am experiencing pain in lower part of my legs (between knee and ankle but behind), i think it is called calf area.

Is this expected ??

I have not done brisk walk, jogging before these three weeks (for quite a long time) and hence i am experiencing this pain ??

Any care i need to take ??

As of now brisk walking causes very little pain but as soon as i start to jog it pains more so i take less strides for now.

raksrules said:
I have not done brisk walk, jogging before these three weeks (for quite a long time) and hence i am experiencing this pain ??

Indeed.

raksrules said:

Don't push yourself, take it one level at a time.

Your body needs to adjust to the new routine.

Continue with the brisk walk, for a while...

raksrules said:
Guys...for the last three weeks i have religiously started going for brisk walk + jog (in between walks). But from last week i am experiencing pain in lower part of my legs (between knee and ankle but behind), i think it is called calf area.
Is this expected ??

As of now brisk walking causes very little pain but as soon as i start to jog it pains more so i take less strides for now.
Start with alternate days in the beginning.

Actually i usually go in the evening for walks but if i do get up early in morning i go in morning also. So sometimes it becomes around 2 Hrs a day. I just want to ensure that i don't skip any day. But yes i am ensuring that one day in a week i give myself rest.

Yesterday night i had a sort of debate with my roommate. He was advocating that for weight loss brisk walking is the way to go.
I was saying that brisk walking is good but jogging is even better. But he was adamant saying that only brisk walking will do the trick and jogging wont help :S

Monthly stats update. Previous stats HERE

Body part/exercise - current - 30th Jan 2010
Arms - 15 inches - 14.3 inches
Chest - 43.3 in - 43 in
Waist - 36 in - 35.5 in
Hips - 40 in - 40 in
Thighs - 22 in - 23 in
Body weight - 84 kgs - 85 kgs
Bench press - 75kgs - 65 kgs (1RM: 82.5kgs)
Overhead press - 57.5 kgs - 50 kgs
Squats: 90kgs - 70kgs
Deadlift: 85kgs - 75kgs (1RM: 100kgs)
Lat pull downs: 65kgs - 55kgs
Pushups - 40 - 40
Chinups - 25 - 25
1 km run - 4min 27secs - 5mins 20secs
Non-stop run at 10kmph - 39 mins - 32 mins

Overall, I'm quite satisfied with my progress. However, my arms still look like twigs so there's a lot of work to be done in that department. The shoulders need a bit of mass around the collar bone area so that's also on the agenda.

raksrules said:
Yesterday night i had a sort of debate with my roommate. He was advocating that for weight loss brisk walking is the way to go.
I was saying that brisk walking is good but jogging is even better. But he was adamant saying that only brisk walking will do the trick and jogging wont help :S

Both of you are correct .Cardio helps you loose weight .Both walking and jogging fall in that category .Apart from that your diet also plays a major role .

I ll be moving cities shortly planning to sign up into a new Gym so i need some advice . I have been hearing a lot about FitnessOne recently .Their description of facilities seems too good to be true .
Can anybody confirm that they do actually provide all facilities they brag about ? (dietician , sauna , working ACs ) and stuff ?

But the professionalism does help . In my last gym i had to put up with a Gym instructor who was a steroid junkie with an inflated ego . Quite a comical character .

Impressive :)

gforce said:
Monthly stats update. Previous stats HERE

Body part/exercise - current - 30th Jan 2010

Arms - 15 inches - 14.3 inches

Chest - 43.3 in - 43 in

Waist - 36 in - 35.5 in

Hips - 40 in - 40 in

Thighs - 22 in - 23 in

Body weight - 84 kgs - 85 kgs

Bench press - 75kgs - 65 kgs (1RM: 82.5kgs)

Overhead press - 57.5 kgs - 50 kgs

Squats: 90kgs - 70kgs

Deadlift: 85kgs - 75kgs (1RM: 100kgs)

Lat pull downs: 65kgs - 55kgs

Pushups - 40 - 40

Chinups - 25 - 25

1 km run - 4min 27secs - 5mins 20secs

Non-stop run at 10kmph - 39 mins - 32 mins

Overall, I'm quite satisfied with my progress. However, my arms still look like twigs so there's a lot of work to be done in that department. The shoulders need a bit of mass around the collar bone area so that's also on the agenda.

Jogging/running is good, top priority should be strength, helps in the long run.

GrimReaper said:
Both of you are correct .Cardio helps you loose weight .Both walking and jogging fall in that category .Apart from that your diet also plays a major role .

I ll be moving cities shortly planning to sign up into a new Gym so i need some advice . I have been hearing a lot about FitnessOne recently .Their description of facilities seems too good to be true .

Can anybody confirm that they do actually provide all facilities they brag about ? (dietician , sauna , working ACs ) and stuff ?

True!

Keane 16 said:
Fancy gyms are a farce.

These type of instructors ruin the sport as they don't know half the things themselves. A huge % of steroid abuse in the world is actually done by these gym rats and ego-maniacs!

GrimReaper said:
But the professionalism does help . In my last gym i had to put up with a Gym instructor who was a steroid junkie with an inflated ego . Quite a comical character .

Hi Rockfella! I have joined gym just yesterday.
The trainer has given me some 6 day workout sheet:S
I read ur previous posts and I guess this is the best workout as per you 3 days/week:
WORKOUT A:

Squat 5 X 5
Bench Press 5 X 5
Inverted Rows 3 X F
Push-ups 3 X f
Reverse Crunches 3 x F

WORKOUT B:

Squat 5 X 5
Overhead press 5 X 5
Deadlift 1 X 5
Pull-ups/chin-ups 3 X F
Prone bridges 30 secs 3 sets.
I am a absolute beginner.So with what weight should I start doing squats and deadlifts?
And for squats, should i use a normal barbell with weights attached or the smith machine.( I dont know what we have in gym is smith machine or not its like rack with a barbell attached to it,we have to unrack it and squat is this the smith machine :ashamed:)

And I can hardly do pull ups max 1 at a time :ashamed: ( never heard of chin ups will have to look about it)
And for bench press the trainer told me to do with dumbbells , he told me incline bench press.

And are lat pulldowns, tricep extensions and other isolation exercises not nessecary? The workout my trainer has handed to me includes majority isolation exercises der are no squats,deadlifts mentioned.Overhead press is der though :p

Please suggest.

And yeah i have my job from 715 am to 830 pm,so going to gym from 540-630 am without having sth ,this is fine rite?

Your trainer is a complete n00b as they say. U've really posted what u need to do but PLEASE SEE VIDEOS ON HOW TO DO THESE COMPOUND EXERCISES. These exercies are very effective and very dangerous IF NOT DONE CORRECTLY!

1)Start with 20 kgs on all exercises and 40 kgs on the deadlift. The biggest problem that u can face is increasing 1.25 kg weight (total 2.5kg weight, in every exercise, u need a pair of 1.25kg weight plates) It is so important that even if u have to buy a pair then get it, carry it to the gym in ur gym bag. U have to increase 2.5kg TOTAL weight in EVERY WORKOUT!

2) SMITH machine is a big NO NO. See if your gym has a power rack, Google for images/refrence) if ur gym doesnot have a power rack change the damn gym YES!

3) No need to do arm exercises/extensions in the beginning, if u have an itch and want to workout arms, only do barbell curls and body weight dips in the last workout of the week ONLY!

4) It is like a rack with a barbell attached to it, we have to unrack it and squat is this the smith machine???? THIS IS A POWER RACK and is best!

4) Morning workouts are best! If u can;t fit in workout in the evening but keep the time same. Don't workout in the evening one day and morning next day... try to workout @ the same time of the day.

5) If u follow the regime properly u will be squatting 60 kgs or so in 60 days, whole body mass/power will go up fast, don't be surprised if after 2 months ur trainer asks u "tell me what routine u r following" :lol: Any queries please PM me.

sahilshah1987 said:
Hi Rockfella! I have joined gym just yesterday.

The trainer has given me some 6 day workout sheet:S

I read ur previous posts and I guess this is the best workout as per you 3 days/week:

WORKOUT A:

Squat 5 X 5

Bench Press 5 X 5

Inverted Rows 3 X F

Push-ups 3 X f

Reverse Crunches 3 x F

WORKOUT B:

Squat 5 X 5

Overhead press 5 X 5

Deadlift 1 X 5

Pull-ups/chin-ups 3 X F

Prone bridges 30 secs 3 sets.

I am a absolute beginner.So with what weight should I start doing squats and deadlifts?

And for squats, should i use a normal barbell with weights attached or the smith machine.( I dont know what we have in gym is smith machine or not its like rack with a barbell attached to it,we have to unrack it and squat is this the smith machine :ashamed:)

And I can hardly do pull ups max 1 at a time :ashamed: ( never heard of chin ups will have to look about it)

And for bench press the trainer told me to do with dumbbells , he told me incline bench press.

And are lat pulldowns, tricep extensions and other isolation exercises not nessecary? The workout my trainer has handed to me includes majority isolation exercises der are no squats,deadlifts mentioned.Overhead press is der though :p

Please suggest.

And yeah i have my job from 715 am to 830 pm,so going to gym from 540-630 am without having sth ,this is fine rite?

hi guys.....joined the gym yesterday. Im 95 kgs rite now and im looking to lose 5-10 kilos in coming 3-4 month. Is that a reasonable target to acheive? and what should be the routine like?I started to briskwalk on the treadmill and plan on doing the elliptical X trained a little later.

I cant afford a personal trainer as he is charging 3K per month. Moreover this so called trainer doesnt seem like a knowledgeable guy. So turning to this thread for some inputs. I basically want to lose some flab and develop a decent shape. So shud i first concentrate on losing fat now and then focus on gaining some shape later or shud i do them bothe simultaneously? ad again what shud be the regimen like?

any advise wud be appreciated.

shady2pac said:
hi guys.....joined the gym yesterday. Im 95 kgs rite now and im looking to lose 5-10 kilos in coming 3-4 month. Is that a reasonable target to acheive? and what should be the routine like?I started to briskwalk on the treadmill and plan on doing the elliptical X trained a little later.

I cant afford a personal trainer as he is charging 3K per month. Moreover this so called trainer doesnt seem like a knowledgeable guy. So turning to this thread for some inputs. I basically want to lose some flab and develop a decent shape. So shud i first concentrate on losing fat now and then focus on gaining some shape later or shud i do them bothe simultaneously? ad again what shud be the regimen like?
any advise wud be appreciated.

Thats a reasonable target man. I would advice you to stay away from rice, sweets and coconut:no:.They are fat. Have hot water now and then(it worked for me),Lime juice will burn your fat properly:cool2:. Swimming, Jogging and brisk-walking will do good. Before brisk-walking try doing some stretches.. And never be happy with how you look(This is what I will keep telling myself,It worked). It ll make you stop from doing your daily exercises. Best of Luck dude

thanks man. Yesterday I burned about 200-220 cal which is reasonable for starter i guess.Started to run on treadmill for abt 30min at 5kmph and did a few exercises then hit the elliptical X trainer for 10 mins and 50 ab-crunches for the execess fat around the tummy. Is that regimen good enough for weight loss for the first week? What other things shud i be doing for effective wt loss?

Ok, take words from a Hydroxycut user (had it for a week or so). After popping in 2 pills i was struggling with 10 mins on the treadmill 'coz when i thought these pills will make me fly! i was wrong as they did nothing but gave me a blood rush, stopped taking it, instead started squatting (gradually increasing weight on the bar) within a month i was running for like 20 mins @ higher speed than before and i feel i could easily run more but always ran out of time as i had to rush to office 'coz i did the treadmill after an one hour weight training workout! So go figure what squats can do for YOU!

This is the product i am talking about... still have almost full bottle, prolly will use it when i hit a plateau :rofl:

Hydroxycut Hardcore Review - Muscletech Hydroxycut Hardcore Review & Side Effects

dsc02542x.jpg

Bottom line for you : Do back squats and run 3 times a week. ;)

30 mins @ CONSTANT 5 km/hour speed is good for starters, it is almost like brisk walking, increase the time to 45 min by increasing one minute every time u run. Once u hit 45 mins (CONSTANT SPEED NO BREAKS) Start increasing the speed from 5 to 6 to 7... go slow though... an increase from 5 km/hour to 6km/hour would be very high for a 30+min jog, so don't underestimate it.

shady2pac said:
thanks man. Yesterday I burned about 200-220 cal which is reasonable for starter i guess.Started to run on treadmill for abt 30min at 5kmph and did a few exercises then hit the elliptical X trainer for 10 mins and 50 ab-crunches for the execess fat around the tummy. Is that regimen good enough for weight loss for the first week? What other things shud i be doing for effective wt loss?

hey guys !!! i haven't been working since last 3 months because of a lower back spasm i got during stretching . so m thinking about hitting the gym again as i think i have given enough rest to my lower back . so should i first do some lower back exercises or should i just start with my weight training ?

thanx

geekgod

Back