The Fitness Thread !

Re: The Fitness Thread !

raksrules said:
Yesterday night i had a sort of debate with my roommate. He was advocating that for weight loss brisk walking is the way to go.
I was saying that brisk walking is good but jogging is even better. But he was adamant saying that only brisk walking will do the trick and jogging wont help :S

The more intense the activity the more calories you burn.
So you can now apply the logic, is walking more intense than jogging?

Start with hyper-extensions, half reps only. build strength gradually!

G33kgod said:
hey guys !!! i haven't been working since last 3 months because of a lower back spasm i got during stretching . so m thinking about hitting the gym again as i think i have given enough rest to my lower back . so should i first do some lower back exercises or should i just start with my weight training ?

thanx

geekgod

i have been searching for a good post workout drink that is simple to make and whose ingredients are not hard to find . I finally settled on one .

whey protein + banana milk shake and glucose + water separately

what do you think ? good enough

whey protein should not be taken along with milk as milk takes alot of tym to digest so it beats the purpose of taking whey protein. i generally take whey protein with water and a aloo ka prantha :).

What should I do if I want to increase my weight in a healthy way?

Im currently a member of a gym to which I go regularly plus I drink 1 litre banana shake with 4 eggs (only white) everyday

WHOLE milk! gomad!

GrimReaper said:
i have been searching for a good post workout drink that is simple to make and whose ingredients are not hard to find . I finally settled on one .

G33kgod said:
whey protein should not be taken along with milk as milk takes alot of tym to digest so it beats the purpose of taking whey protein. i generally take whey protein with water and a aloo ka prantha :).

oh ! I did nt know . It tastes pretty horrible when taken with water .

Are there any other drink i can take whey with ? fruit juices for example .which also provides the necessary carbs and minerals .Importantly it should be easy to prepare .

Rockfella said:
WHOLE milk! gomad!

i suppose you are implying that whole milk is easier to digest ? i did have some people advising me to drop whey altogether and go for chocolate milk / milkshakes .

Why Milk Is The Ultimate Post Workout Food | StrongLifts.com

Yes, legends have used WHOLE MILK! WHEY is not super important, there is no subsitute for milk!

GrimReaper said:
oh ! I did nt know . It tastes pretty horrible when taken with water .

Are there any other drink i can take whey with ? fruit juices for example .which also provides the necessary carbs and minerals .Importantly it should be easy to prepare .

i suppose you are implying that whole milk is easier to digest ? i did have some people advising me to drop whey altogether and go for chocolate milk / milkshakes .

Why Milk Is The Ultimate Post Workout Food | StrongLifts.com

Can anyone suggest me spot exercises to reduce weight ? Currently i am having pain in my lower limb on left leg because of excessive jogging and so doctor has advised me not to go for walks / jog for 6 weeks. So i have to do with exercises which will not stress my lower limb.

Any suggestions?

Do u ever read my posts? I posted so many times to SQUAT and then jog/run. This is what happens when u only run and don't squat.:cool2: Running DOESNOT strenghten the legs, infact it breaks it down! Now squat and u will be able to run much sooner than 6 weeks!

raksrules said:
Can anyone suggest me spot exercises to reduce weight ? Currently i am having pain in my lower limb on left leg because of excessive jogging and so doctor has advised me not to go for walks / jog for 6 weeks. So i have to do with exercises which will not stress my lower limb.

Any suggestions?

@Rockfella

You mean that before me going out for a walk/jog i should squat or for initial few days i should only squat and only then should go out for walks and jogs ?

^^Yep it helped me a lot. 15 * 3 hand clubbed at the back of my head. This helps you strengthen your calf, you have to do it before running. If you don't sooner or later you will have weak calf as a result of it you will have a lot of pain even while walking. I have suffered a lot due to weak calf previously but now its all fine :D

Squats make legs and lowerback strong, calves also.

Dark Star said:
^^Yep it helped me a lot. 15 * 3 hand clubbed at the back of my head. This helps you strengthen your calf, you have to do it before running. If you don't sooner or later you will have weak calf as a result of it you will have a lot of pain even while walking. I have suffered a lot due to weak calf previously but now its all fine :D

GrimReaper said:

whey protein is good for post workout with little carbohydrates like oats for recovery

Adding 5gms of glutamine powder in whey protein gives u much recovery

Are you sure u are working out hard enough to actually need recovery?

speedyfreak said:
whey protein is good for post workout with little carbohydrates like oats for recovery, Adding 5gms of glutamine powder in whey protein gives u much recovery

shady2pac said:
hi guys.....joined the gym yesterday. Im 95 kgs rite now and im looking to lose 5-10 kilos in coming 3-4 month. Is that a reasonable target to acheive? and what should be the routine like?I started to briskwalk on the treadmill and plan on doing the elliptical X trained a little later.

I cant afford a personal trainer as he is charging 3K per month. Moreover this so called trainer doesnt seem like a knowledgeable guy. So turning to this thread for some inputs. I basically want to lose some flab and develop a decent shape. So shud i first concentrate on losing fat now and then focus on gaining some shape later or shud i do them bothe simultaneously? ad again what shud be the regimen like?
any advise wud be appreciated.

Guys after 1 month of almost regular exercise and proper diet i ve shed like 3-4 kilos. I have been working on treadmill for 30min, 10 mins on elliptical and 10 mins cycling. Do I need to slow down or am I doing good. 4 Kilos in one month ...is that proper way of losing weight??

Secondly, from this week on I would like to start strength training(ST). Is it advisable to do both cardio for 40 mins and strength training for 30 min in a single session?
I prefer to stick to my current cardio prog and start ST by concentrating a particular portion of my body each day like chest, lower abdomen, triceps, biceps in consecutive days. Is that a proper schedule....?
and please suggest some good exercise for each part of the body..

Good efforts... the weight loss is good. To remain fit forever/as long as possible get into strength training... cardio comes second! :) yes it is okay to do weights with cardio but do weights first not cardio...;)

shady2pac said:
Guys after 1 month of almost regular exercise and proper diet i ve shed like 3-4 kilos. I have been working on treadmill for 30min, 10 mins on elliptical and 10 mins cycling. Do I need to slow down or am I doing good. 4 Kilos in one month ...is that proper way of losing weight??

Secondly, from this week on I would like to start strength training(ST). Is it advisable to do both cardio for 40 mins and strength training for 30 min in a single session?

I prefer to stick to my current cardio prog and start ST by concentrating a particular portion of my body each day like chest, lower abdomen, triceps, biceps in consecutive days. Is that a proper schedule....?

and please suggest some good exercise for each part of the body..

Yes you can combine cardio and Strength training in a single session . It will totally depend on your requirements . If you are an athlete who is trying to get fit , you should schedule your Strength training after your cardio session . If you are body sculpting you should schedule cardio after strength training . This is so because whichever you schedule last will suffer in terms of intensity since you will be tired by the end of your first session .Ofcourse make sure you do strength training only on alternate days .

Compound exercises which target a large number of muscle groups are said to be more effective than ones that target a single muscle group . Try reading up more on that .

------------------------------------------------------

A friend of mine just decided to start on a fitness program . He is short and painfully thin and is slightly underweight .

The major problem is

1. All fitness regimens i have seen focus on muscle gain and weight loss . The latter will surely kill him .
2.He is a vegetarian and so meat and eggs are strictly out of question .

What kind of diet and fitness program would you suggest to a person like him ?

Back