The Fitness Thread !

Re: The Fitness Thread !

navino87 said:
Thx for introducing me to P90X bro... Started downloading P90X Xtreme Workout Series :) .. Hope it could help me with my fitness without affecting my spine.. b'coz i had met with an accident 2 years back when i got a compression fracture in my spine...
becareful mate. Spine injury sounds scary. If you are new to workout, then take it easy. Strengthen your core first.

^ Nice find. Let us know how it works out for you. The book should have healthy indian food makiing tips/dishes i guess.

Rockfella said:
^ Nice find. Let us know how it works out for you. The book should have healthy indian food makiing tips/dishes i guess.

To be honest this book is a waste of time for those looking for any real fitness.

blkrb0t said:
To be honest this book is a waste of time for those looking for any real fitness.
I don't know what "real fitness" means to you, care to explain?

PS: I am not much into Body-building but general fitness:)

Rockfella said:
Sure thing, here are the Tables of Contents of the book:

http://www.rujutadiwekar.com/book_toc.asp

I've been reading this thread since a long time and think that I should finally get some advice from the experienced guys here :)

I'm 5'8" and weigh 72kgs. 5 years back I was diagnosed with a condition in my Sacroiliac joint ( similar to rheumatoid arthritis - my muscles have inflammation and become stiff if I'm in a certain position for a long time; yes that includes sleeping :( ) that made me really stop exercising.

However, after CT scans and other tests, my doctor advised me to start some type of exercise and recommended swimming. He also said that there are no restrictions for me and firstly I should mentally accept this condition.

Small history session :p - Basically, I had been very active all my life till this pain started. I've got very strong calf and thigh muscles due to years of sports like badminton, squash, football and lots of cycling. My upper body was quite weak due to consecutive fractures in both my hands and subsequent board exams and then the competitive exams. Thus, no exercise at all.

I started with swimming for around 4 weeks and eventually spoke with the Gym physio and told him about this. He prepared me a schedule with low intensity weights to follow for 6 weeks. I successfully completed that and told him that there were certain exercises like bench press which put some strain on my lower back.

The next schedule he made for me consisted of mainly machines. He said since the motion is controlled, there are less chances of bad posture and hence, injury.

The newer schedule split the training into 2/2/2

2 days - Cardio
2 days - Lower body
2 days - Upper body

Upper Body routine has the following machines/exercises -
1. Chest Press Machine
2. Seated Row Machine
3. Pec Fly machine
4. Shoulder Press
5. Dumbell Curls
6. Dumbbell Lateral Raise
7. Dumbell Shrugs
8. Push-ups

Instead of cardio, I play badminton 3 days a week. I don't do too much of the lower body since my thighs and calves are well developed and I am also fearful of an injury.

Currently the weights (lbs) I'm using are as follows ( Weight 1st set/Reps, Weight 2nd set/Reps and Weight Power set/Reps) -
Chest Press Machine 50/12, 60/12, 90/8
Seated Row Machine 50/12, 60/12, 90/8
Pec Fly machine (I do this at the 5 setting, don't know how much each bar weighs)
Shoulder Press 15/12, 20/12, 20/8
Dumbell Curls 15/12, 15/12, 20/12, 25/8
Dumbbell Lateral Raise 15/12, 15/12
Dumbell Shrugs 30/12, 30/12
Push-ups 15 reps, 20 reps, 10 reps

I keep at least 48 hours gap between the 2 days I do upper body workout. Already completed 4 weeks of this schedule. 2 more weeks left till I get the new schedule.

I've seen significant improvements in my shoulders, lats and chest and to some extent in my biceps. Not taken any measurements till now. I've also lost a few inches off my butts but no significant improvement in my waist size.

As far as eating goes, I eat 3 square meals; normal home food. Apart from that, everyday I eat 4 egg whites + 2 full eggs + mug of milk + 500g chicken (alternate days). I don't want to take any kind of supplements. I do indulge in soft drinks, occasional junk food and chocolates.

For those who believe that supplements are absolutely important, please see the spoiler below -
Steve Reeves (Born 1926, no supplements then :p)
stevereeves.jpg

I recently read that squats are essential to building core strength so I am going to start doing those. (They were present in my schedule, but I never realised they are that important:ashamed:) Lunges cause pain in my hip joint, so I am not going to do those.

if you've been patient enough to read till now, please tell me - What am I doing right and what am I doing wrong? This includes diet, exercise routine and exercises.

^ Just make sure you know what you are doing. Squats will take you to a different level both mentally and physically. The effects are like no other exercise. But it's not for everyone as it is a bit technical in nature.

Have 300 grams chicken a day 150 gms in one meal instead of 500 grams every other day.

^ Thanks a lot for replying. I will keep the squats thing in mind.

Apart from the chicken advice which I will try to implement, anything else I should add in my diet? I still feel that it is not giving me the requisite proteins.. or is it?

Sei said:
^ Thanks a lot for replying. I will keep the squats thing in mind.

Apart from the chicken advice which I will try to implement, anything else I should add in my diet? I still feel that it is not giving me the requisite proteins.. or is it?
Eat chicken daily instead of on alternate days, add milk/curd to your diet too and you're already taking eggs. That should take care of your protein needs. Meat, Milk and Eggs are the best sources of protein.

Sei said:
I've been reading this thread since a long time and think that I should finally get some advice from the experienced guys here :)

I'm 5'8" and weigh 72kgs. 5 years back I was diagnosed with a condition in my Sacroiliac joint ( similar to rheumatoid arthritis - my muscles have inflammation and become stiff if I'm in a certain position for a long time; yes that includes sleeping :( ) that made me really stop exercising.

However, after CT scans and other tests, my doctor advised me to start some type of exercise and recommended swimming. He also said that there are no restrictions for me and firstly I should mentally accept this condition.

Small history session :p - Basically, I had been very active all my life till this pain started. I've got very strong calf and thigh muscles due to years of sports like badminton, squash, football and lots of cycling. My upper body was quite weak due to consecutive fractures in both my hands and subsequent board exams and then the competitive exams. Thus, no exercise at all.

I started with swimming for around 4 weeks and eventually spoke with the Gym physio and told him about this. He prepared me a schedule with low intensity weights to follow for 6 weeks. I successfully completed that and told him that there were certain exercises like bench press which put some strain on my lower back.

The next schedule he made for me consisted of mainly machines. He said since the motion is controlled, there are less chances of bad posture and hence, injury.

The newer schedule split the training into 2/2/2

2 days - Cardio
2 days - Lower body
2 days - Upper body

Upper Body routine has the following machines/exercises -
1. Chest Press Machine
2. Seated Row Machine
3. Pec Fly machine
4. Shoulder Press
5. Dumbell Curls
6. Dumbbell Lateral Raise
7. Dumbell Shrugs
8. Push-ups

Instead of cardio, I play badminton 3 days a week. I don't do too much of the lower body since my thighs and calves are well developed and I am also fearful of an injury.

Currently the weights (lbs) I'm using are as follows ( Weight 1st set/Reps, Weight 2nd set/Reps and Weight Power set/Reps) -
Chest Press Machine 50/12, 60/12, 90/8
Seated Row Machine 50/12, 60/12, 90/8
Pec Fly machine (I do this at the 5 setting, don't know how much each bar weighs)
Shoulder Press 15/12, 20/12, 20/8
Dumbell Curls 15/12, 15/12, 20/12, 25/8
Dumbbell Lateral Raise 15/12, 15/12
Dumbell Shrugs 30/12, 30/12
Push-ups 15 reps, 20 reps, 10 reps

I keep at least 48 hours gap between the 2 days I do upper body workout. Already completed 4 weeks of this schedule. 2 more weeks left till I get the new schedule.

I've seen significant improvements in my shoulders, lats and chest and to some extent in my biceps. Not taken any measurements till now. I've also lost a few inches off my butts but no significant improvement in my waist size.

As far as eating goes, I eat 3 square meals; normal home food. Apart from that, everyday I eat 4 egg whites + 2 full eggs + mug of milk + 500g chicken (alternate days). I don't want to take any kind of supplements. I do indulge in soft drinks, occasional junk food and chocolates.

For those who believe that supplements are absolutely important, please see the spoiler below -
Steve Reeves (Born 1926, no supplements then :p)
stevereeves.jpg

I recently read that squats are essential to building core strength so I am going to start doing those. (They were present in my schedule, but I never realised they are that important:ashamed:) Lunges cause pain in my hip joint, so I am not going to do those.

if you've been patient enough to read till now, please tell me - What am I doing right and what am I doing wrong? This includes diet, exercise routine and exercises.

You forgot Reg Park who was Arnold's mentor.

image002b.jpg

^ I didn't forget him. I just took Steve Reeves's example :p

Reg Park dominated the body building scene for good around 2 decades. It's a pity that it wasn't a paying sport back then.

Reg is also known for founding the the 5x5 program, which later Arnold copied. Very few know this. Plus he was steroid free.

Sei said:
^ I didn't forget him. I just took Steve Reeves's example :p

Reg Park dominated the body building scene for good around 2 decades. It's a pity that it wasn't a paying sport back then.

Hey guys, i'm quite happy to see this thread :) im confused a little cause i m thinking to change my routine from

monday - chest n tricep

tuesday - back n bicep

wednesday - shoulder n leg to

monday - chest

tuesday - back

wednesday - shoulder

thursday - leg, calves, thighs

friday - bicep / tricep

sat - misc.

Is it a good idea to go with this? My mind is leaning towards this cause as per what i do daily ( chest + tricep ) i have to rush cause i spend 2 hours at gym :p & don't get enough time to complete set with proper time rest. What do you guys think about one thing per day?

2 hours a day????????????? LOL!

big.bad.boi said:
Hey guys, i'm quite happy to see this thread :) im confused a little cause i m thinking to change my routine from

monday - chest n tricep

tuesday - back n bicep

monday - chest

tuesday - back

wednesday - shoulder

friday - bicep / tricep

sat - misc.

Is it a good idea to go with this? My mind is leaning towards this cause as per what i do daily ( chest + tricep ) i have to rush cause i spend 2 hours at gym :p & don't get enough time to complete set with proper time rest. What do you guys think about one thing per day?

big.bad.boi said:
monday - chest n tricep
tuesday - back n bicep
monday - chest
tuesday - back
wednesday - shoulder
friday - bicep / tricep
sat - misc.
I would suggest this

Monday (Upper Body)
Barbell Bench Press
Seated or Chest-Supported Rows
Pull-ups or Pulldowns
Standing Dumbbell Shoulder Press

Tuesday (Lower Body)
Barbell Squats
Leg Raises
Dumbbell Deadlifts
Decline Bench Sit-Ups
Standing Calf Raises

Wednesday (Off)
Perform 15-20 minutes of moderate intensity cardio.

Thursday (Upper Body)
45º Incline Dumbbell Bench Press
45º Dumbbell Rows
Standing Barbell Curls
Standing Reverse Grip Triceps Pressdown
Friday (Upper Body)
Hack Squats
Lying Leg Curls
Lying Leg Raises
Seated Calf Raises

Saturday (Off)
Sunday (Off)

If not, 5x5 is attached.

Attachments

• 5x5_intermediate_v0.3.zip
    28.9 KB · Views: 113

People take years to get into the workout you've attached. So funny you suggested this to a guy just starting out!

Bl^nK said:
I would suggest this

Monday (Upper Body)

Barbell Bench Press

Seated or Chest-Supported Rows

Pull-ups or Pulldowns

Standing Dumbbell Shoulder Press

Tuesday (Lower Body)

Barbell Squats

Leg Raises

Dumbbell Deadlifts

Decline Bench Sit-Ups

Standing Calf Raises

Wednesday (Off)

Thursday (Upper Body)

45º Incline Dumbbell Bench Press

45º Dumbbell Rows

Standing Barbell Curls

Standing Reverse Grip Triceps Pressdown

Friday (Upper Body)

Hack Squats

Lying Leg Curls

Lying Leg Raises

Seated Calf Raises

Saturday (Off)

Sunday (Off)

If not, 5x5 is attached.

^ He never mentioned that he is a beginner or has prior experience of lifting weights. I gave him and intermediate workout because he was following a gym routine before hand and just needed change of split. Also i think the above routine can be performed very well in few weeks time with correct Form and intensity.

There are certain set of parameters which we need to keep in mind before switching to something new. A trainee whoz never done 5x5 or 3x5 will usually gain more muscle/strength if he has been been doing silly bodybuilding routines for years. This is true because so many people made better progress in the first five months of 5x5 that they did in 5 years of bb routines! The routine he was following is a very simple split routine. 3 months into 5x5 he will realize what true training is. He is way far away from the one you attached. The whole idea is to milk out max from 5x5 starters because we add weight in almost every workout too! 5x5 might not work at all for some who are already training more than 1.5xBW squat for example but the poster doesnot look like he's ever squatted. Hope it helps.

Bl^nK said:
^ He never mentioned that he is a beginner or has prior experience of lifting weights. I gave him and intermediate workout because he was following a gym routine before hand and just needed change of split. Also i think the above routine can be performed very well in few weeks time with correct Form and intensity.

^ True, maybe he can provide more background information on his experience with weights in order for us to critique his workout routine.

Back