The Fitness Thread !

Re: The Fitness Thread !

I am 6' , 170 lbs (77kg) :p .

Rockfella said:
Your bench is good too! 75 Kgs is not easy. Max i've done is 80 kgs years ago!
Thanks :) , I usually bench 30 - 40kg + 20Kg rod for 12 reps x 3 .

As promised, some food items which are common to Indian households along with their calories.Please note that this is an approximate value.Most ahve been googled and taken off sites like caloriecount.about.com , nutritiondata.self.com etc. If you find anything wrong, do let me know so that i can research more and give you guys the correct approximate value.Also note that in India eggs area little smaller than what one gets in western countries.And these values are for those eggs.If I am not wrong, in the west egg whites, boiled whole eggs are available in powder format(someone plz confirm).

Food Quantity Calories

chapathi 1 119

Dal 1cup 220

Noodles 250gms 175

Oats 1bowl 300

Muesli 50g 195 cals

Omlette 1 24

boiled eggs 1 75

egg masala 1 bowl 180

Idlies 2 80

scrambledeggs 2 200

Naan 1 300

Rice 300gms 420

Potatoes boiled 300gms 210

Palak Paneer 280gms 240

Tandori chicken 308gms 330

Chicken tikka 100gms 155

Chicken Vindaloo 312gms 290

Mutter Paneer 380gms 220

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Ok.. I am not able to order the list properly.How do I do it?

raptor3624 said:
As promised, some food items which are common to Indian households along with their calories.Please note that this is an approximate value.Most ahve been googled and taken off sites like caloriecount.about.com , nutritiondata.self.com etc. If you find anything wrong, do let me know so that i can research more and give you guys the correct approximate value.Also note that in India eggs area little smaller than what one gets in western countries.And these values are for those eggs.If I am not wrong, in the west egg whites, boiled whole eggs are available in powder format(someone plz confirm).

Food Quantity Calories
chapathi 1 119
Dal 1cup 220
Noodles 250gms 175
Oats 1bowl 300
Muesli 50g 195 cals
Omlette 1 24
boiled eggs 1 75
egg masala 1 bowl 180
Idlies 2 80
scrambledeggs 2 200
Naan 1 300
Rice 300gms 420
Palak Paneer 280gms 240
Chicken tikka 100gms 155
Mutter Paneer 380gms 220

Ok.. I am not able to order the list properly.How do I do it?
boiled eggs 1 75
chapathi 1 119
Chicken tikka 100gms 155
Dal 1cup 220
egg masala 1 bowl 180
Idlies 2 80
Muesli 50g 195 cals
Mutter Paneer 380gms 220
Naan 1 300
Noodles 250gms 175
Oats 1bowl 300
Omlette 1 24
Palak Paneer 280gms 240
Rice 300gms 420
scrambledeggs 2 200
Use the table tag. :p

Informative post Raptor :)

I am also overweight 5'7", 75 Kgs, body fat = 22% Have to add cardio soon. Skipped workout today as i felt some pain in my left leg so slept like a log for like 10-11 hours at a stretch! Woah! This is nirvana for me, i could never manage more than 3 hours constant sleep when i had internet in my home! woot!!

@raptor..

sweet post mate... very useful.. care to expand the list???..

@rocky...

long time mate... :D...

abt the more reps.. and low eights.. today i was doing shoulder + legs.

Heavy on shoulder.. so for light leg training i did some leg extension. my usual weights are 40~45 Kg. and abt 10*2 or 3 reps if possible.

My trainer today said dont puck weight beyond 20.. just keep the rep count to 15*5 or something like that. thoughts?

and on biceps and triceps...

Same thing. For biceps use less weight and more reps. for triceps more weight and less reps. I need to get some shape on my arms. :S.

if that makes any sense. thoughts?

@Guy who lifts 110 for bench..

awesome mate.... MAx i manage is 60kg + rod weight .. :S...

very awesome..

ps. i am 5' 11" and 100 kg... :S...

m-jeri said:
@raptor..

sweet post mate... very useful.. care to expand the list???..
Definitely brother.Will add more as I find or calculate.Probably will add these to Fitday.com too.They hardly ahve data for INdian food except Tandoori Checken and Chicken Tikka Masala:p That way, anyone keeping a log there would receive help.

i m confused between Starting Strength and Stronglifts...both looks similar and effective so which one to go for.....i researched bit n majority of ppl are suggesting SS.

Damn OHPs! Got stuck @ 37.5 kgs. Only 4 reps in second set, 3-4 minutes rest, managed: 5,4,4,3,3 then push press 3,2,2!! My chin-up bar sucks, rotates while i try to grip it lol whole focus goes waste in gripping it firmly! Time to make power bar this weekend. Will also post detailed pics.
5 x 5 is exciting and has direct arm and ab work, starting strength is old school and kinda boring (just my opinion) both programs have shown to work without any issues. 5 x 5 favours starting very light (only 20 kgs) hance you learn technique as you get stronger, while 3 x 5 u have to start with the weight you can handle = this is something that is very vague and ego gets in the way. (U might think u can handle more weight but actually you might have very bad form = very dangerous!
My suggestion: Do Sls.
universal said:
i m confused between Starting Strength and Stronglifts...both looks similar and effective so which one to go for.....i researched bit n majority of ppl are suggesting SS.
Buddy how on earth will you calculate the calories in tikka masala and other crap like salamis... afaik it is all processed food :(
raptor3624 said:
Definitely brother.Will add more as I find or calculate.Probably will add these to Fitday.com too.They hardly ahve data for INdian food except Tandoori Checken and Chicken Tikka Masala:p That way, anyone keeping a log there would receive help.

Rockfella said:
5 x 5 is exciting and has direct arm and ab work, starting strength is old school and kinda boring (just my opinion) both programs have shown to work without any issues. 5 x 5 favours starting very light (only 20 kgs) hance you learn technique as you get stronger, while 3 x 5 u have to start with the weight you can handle = this is something that is very vague and ego gets in the way. (U might think u can handle more weight but actually you might have very bad form = very dangerous!

My suggestion: Do Sls.

i m goin to stick with SL...i wanna know is if i can do pull up with light support of chair.

Nice, be safe man, remaining injury free is more important than even doing any exercise. There are better options like a stretchable rope or something. Pull-ups are hardest but once the numbers increase you will feel like a beast!
universal said:
i m goin to stick with SL...i wanna know is if i can do pull up with light support of chair.

Rockfella said:
Damn OHPs! Got stuck @ 37.5 kgs. Only 4 reps in second set, 3-4 minutes rest, managed: 5,4,4,3,3 then push press 3,2,2!! My chin-up bar sucks, rotates while i try to grip it lol whole focus goes waste in gripping it firmly! Time to make power bar this weekend. Will also post detailed pics.
Face one wrist towards you with the other facing away.Try that for now untill your pull up bar is ready.something is better than nothing.
Rockfella said:
Buddy how on earth will you calculate the calories in tikka masala and other crap like salamis... afaik it is all processed food :(

I dont know how to calculate.I would be just googling the hell out to find the calorie content.Find a few sites which would give the data, take the rough average and post it here.I know it's not accurate but like I said, there is not much data about the calorie content in Indian food in the top fitness/nutrition based sites.

This is just an added information.It's not necessary that one has to follow.But I've learnt the hard way that food is of as important as your workout if you want to mould your body to fit your fitness goals in the appropriate time.[/QUOTE]

I think if someone wants to squat, deadlift, overhead press and bench, Mark Rippetoe's Starting strength book or dvd is of great importance.His videos are just awesome as far as information goes.He explains every minute detail and also gives a bigger picture.I had a rough idea of all these workouts when I started SL.But when I watched his videos, I found out I was far from right!

I do 3 sets of standard chin/pull-ups (tightened the bar using a wrench) and then do exactly what u typed bro. The calorie thing you said is 100% spot on. "You are what you eat" is absolutely correct. Thats what i said earlier .. training heavy/correct is not a problem for me, i love it, eating good food/enough proteins/carbs/fats throughout the day with so many other things to do is a tough and expensive task! Gud luck with the calorie chart thingy. As for myself i avoid these things, reduced alcohol intake too, last year when i did 5 x 5 for two months i stopped drinking altogether, now max once a month, occasional whiskey (No beer) with water no coke ever! I have a cake or something once in a while as i sometimes get carb cravings like an hour ago lolz!
Mark Rippetoe's knowledge about training is unparalleled, his approach is scientific and practical! All his books are a must have. I will try 37.5 kgs 2 more times on the OHP or else i will deload and get a pair of 650 gram plates. Have to eat more, have to join a gym next month to do cardio.
raptor3624 said:
Face one wrist towards you with the other facing away.Try that for now untill your pull up bar is ready.something is better than nothing. I dont know how to calculate.I would be just googling the hell out to find the calorie content.Find a few sites which would give the data, take the rough average and post it here.I know it's not accurate but like I said, there is not much data about the calorie content in Indian food in the top fitness/nutrition based sites. This is just an added information.It's not necessary that one has to follow.But I've learnt the hard way that food is of as important as your workout if you want to mould your body to fit your fitness goals in the appropriate time. I think if someone wants to squat, deadlift, overhead press and bench, Mark Rippetoe's Starting strength book or dvd is of great importance.His videos are just awesome as far as information goes.He explains every minute detail and also gives a bigger picture.I had a rough idea of all these workouts when I started SL.But when I watched his videos, I found out I was far from right!

any solution for the stretch marks..the more i train more are the stretch marks, especially on shoulder and biceps any solution?

None, i hate professional trainers! :rofl:

pradeep200417 said:
I just learnt my first lesson in weight training. Start with light weights or the form goes haywire.
BTW i wanted to ask one question.

How many here have been kind of self trained and how many of you have been trained by professional trainers?
Interestingly i found this pdf on Bad Form.
library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/62_07_Bad_Form.pdf

Back