~ The Mobile Phone Advisor ~

Status
Not open for further replies.
tmpah.png

Are you planning to buy a new phone? Unable to decide among the options?

Well, Just drop in your requirements & I'll help you out.

Valuable inputs from other members are also welcome.

Let's maintain this as an exclusive thread, to help those in need.
:hap2:

Cheers,

The.Toxic.Mind

GUIDELINES :

1. Refrain from posting irrelevant queries

2. Post your primary requirements & specify a budget

3. Your query will be addressed eventually, so please be patient

check rediff / indiatimes... its there for 5800/-
but vender offers only 1 week warranty. someone hrere on TE said it might be imported lot or something. if it works fine for 1 week sure it will go on.... so try your luck. i was planning to buy one but didnt. even 5130 prices has gone up.... bloody market....where is recession... it was for 5400 and now it is for 5950 :mad:

guys,

need a touch screen(big screen) phone having 3G. main usage will be browsing.

Currently have a SE W830i, does the job, but feel the screen very small. difficult to browse.

looking for the cheapest good quality phone available.
preferentially below 15k.
wat are the options i have?

^^ Samsung Star 3G would be the cheapest option - costing around 11.8K.

Else you could also look at SE G700 (smaller screen; also has physical keys; costing around 10.5K) or Samsung F480 (around 15.5K) or the LG KS20 (around 16K).

hp-india said:
^^ Samsung Star 3G would be the cheapest option - costing around 11.8K.
Else you could also look at SE G700 (smaller screen; also has physical keys; costing around 10.5K) or Samsung F480 (around 15.5K) or the LG KS20 (around 16K).

Don't ever recommend anyone that phone. Has got a lot of issues with graphics. Has a pretty capable graphics processor but the sad part is that no official drivers are available for it. So the whole interface of the phone is erratic.

Even though HTC released some drivers for the TYTN II which uses the same processor and graphics chipset, they have hardly helped.

It is much better to buy the HTC Touch Viva or HTC Touch 3G than this.

Tron05 said:
guys,

need a touch screen(big screen) phone having 3G. main usage will be browsing.

Currently have a SE W830i, does the job, but feel the screen very small. difficult to browse.

looking for the cheapest good quality phone available.
preferentially below 15k.
wat are the options i have?

If you need 3G & a touchscreen display, your only option is the Samsung Star 3G S5603 (11.9K*).It does miss out on WiFi though.

If you can do without 3G, you have the following options:

HTC Touch VIVA ~ 13.3K*
Asus P320 ~ 10.1K*

Extend your budget and you can meet all your requirements with the next best option, the Asus P552W (17.6K*) !

Hope this helps.

~ T.T.M ~

Hey,

If I buy a handset in India, can I use it in Canada on a local carrier......Im going there for 4 years for my undergrad and I messed up my current handset....have to leave in 2 months so need a new one which will work there.

ariendj said:
im in urgent need to decide over nokia 5310,5130 and 5220??

please give your suggestions soon!!

Frankly, each model addresses a particular price range !

If music is your top priority, then get the tried & tested Nokia 5310 XM (8K*) !

It's got the best audio quality compared to the other two models.

~ T.T.M ~

TerrorBlade said:
Hey,
If I buy a handset in India, can I use it in Canada on a local carrier......Im going there for 4 years for my undergrad and I messed up my current handset....have to leave in 2 months so need a new one which will work there.

Well, all you need to do, is to get a GSM (Tri-band/Quad-band) handset OR a CDMA one depending on the local carrier you choose.

It's wiser to buy one there locally, according to the current scenario.
Find out which carrier best meets your requirements.

Canada's major carriers are :

1. Rogers Wireless (GSM)
2. Bell Mobility (CDMA)
3. Telus Mobility (CDMA)
4. SaskTel Mobility (CDMA)
5. MTS Mobility (CDMA)

~ T.T.M ~

Thanks Kingg_of_tech, hotshot05, thetoxicmind for your replies.

I was looking for a cheap phone which supported google maps, and finally chose the SE G502. I was thinking about upping my budget and getting the SE C510, but after reading this thread and realising that my options for a phone in the 10-12k range were so vast that I couldn't decide which one to get, that I just decided to get the cheapest one that met my needs.
Got it for Rs.7500 along with a 1 GB card. I should have bargained, but didn't really bother.
I'm now looking for a bluetooth headset to buy, I was thinking of getting a stereo one, but are those allowed while driving? And how much sound do they block off? Will I hear the screams of the pedestrians I run over, and the horns of the drivers I piss off?
Also I heard not all headsets are compatible with sony phones, should I just buy a sony headset to be on the safe side, or do I not need to worry about that?

iamddevil said:
Thanks Kingg_of_tech, hotshot05, thetoxicmind for your replies.

I was looking for a cheap phone which supported google maps, and finally chose the SE G502. I was thinking about upping my budget and getting the SE C510, but after reading this thread and realising that my options for a phone in the 10-12k range were so vast that I couldn't decide which one to get, that I just decided to get the cheapest one that met my needs.
Got it for Rs.7500 along with a 1 GB card. I should have bargained, but didn't really bother.
I'm now looking for a bluetooth headset to buy, I was thinking of getting a stereo one, but are those allowed while driving? And how much sound do they block off? Will I hear the screams of the pedestrians I run over, and the horns of the drivers I piss off?
Also I heard not all headsets are compatible with sony phones, should I just buy a sony headset to be on the safe side, or do I not need to worry about that?

SE BT Headsets are among the better looking ones.
So go ahead and buy one but remember to use it wisely !

plz suggest me a phone..budget is within 20k.. the features should be the following:
1)at least 2.8" or more screen size
2)should play avi video or other higher format (like the ipod touch)
3)touch screen
4)wi-fi
5)good music player
6)windows based os

devilsmind said:
plz suggest me a phone..budget is within 20k.. the features should be the following:

3)touch screen

4)wi-fi

5)good music player

6)windows based os

Actually all videos have to be transcoded by iTunes before being transferred to the iPod Touch. It supports very limited number of file types.

Your Options are HTC Touch Diamond and HTC Touch 3G.

These phones can play a much larger number of file types thanks to 3rd party codecs available for them.

If Windows Mobile is not a strict requirement then you can also look at the Nokia 5800XM which runs on Symbian S60 5th edition and 3rd party codecs are available for it also. Actually the 5800XM is the best suited if you will use it for playing music and movies since it is the only one among these to have a 3.5mm jack(no need to use converter) and superb battery life.

devilsmind said:

3)touch screen

4)wi-fi

5)good music player

6)windows based os

hotshot05 said:
Actually all videos have to be transcoded by iTunes before being transferred to the iPod Touch. It supports very limited number of file types.

These phones can play a much larger number of file types thanks to 3rd party codecs available for them.

If Windows Mobile is not a strict requirement then you can also look at the Nokia 5800XM which runs on Symbian S60 5th edition and 3rd party codecs are available for it also. Actually the 5800XM is the best suited if you will use it for playing music and movies since it is the only one among these to have a 3.5mm jack(no need to use converter) and superb battery life.

^ As suggested above, they are your only options.

HTC Diamond ~ 21.3K*

HTC Touch ~ 19.4K*

Nokia 5800 XM ~ 18.4K*

~ T.T.M ~

* Plus 4% VAT

hotshot05 said:

actually i was having a ipod touch which i recently sold on TE.. i was using videora ipod touch converter and it can convert videos to many format which can be played on ipod..usually i convert videos to MPEG4 VGA 2400 Kbps Stereo/128 kbps
The output video is larger than the original:S but its enjoyable on the touch.
that's the reason im searching for a phone which is similar to the touch in audio and video playback wit a big screen..

Right now im using 5300 xm..and im a total noob in windows based fones..wat i saw people discussing custom ROMs,touch flow and stuff like that..is it same as the themes in symbian? does 5800 support roms and touch flow...As far as i know these features are available in windows mobiles..
does windows mobiles have more features(installing softwares) then symbian 5800...
plz clarify my doubts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back