~ The Mobile Phone Advisor ~

Status
Not open for further replies.
tmpah.png

Are you planning to buy a new phone? Unable to decide among the options?

Well, Just drop in your requirements & I'll help you out.

Valuable inputs from other members are also welcome.

Let's maintain this as an exclusive thread, to help those in need.
:hap2:

Cheers,

The.Toxic.Mind

GUIDELINES :

1. Refrain from posting irrelevant queries

2. Post your primary requirements & specify a budget

3. Your query will be addressed eventually, so please be patient

Hey guys..

I was looking at the BLACKBERRY BOLD 2 .. which caught my attention .. as i asked earlier for buying a N97 .. i changed my mind .. i had many doubts .. is it really necessary to activate the blackberry services to use Wi-Fi .. coz i dont know i heard this somewhere that it is necessary .. i wont be using the blackberry services as of now .. because .. not of my many friends use blackberry .. so its of no use to me at this moment .. but i will be needing wi-fi .. to use facebook and other apps .. and yes .. does bol2 support other apps ?? i mean gaming and stuff .. i know its a business phone .. but i was just curious to know ..

egobrain.exe said:
Hey guys..

I was looking at the BLACKBERRY BOLD 2 .. which caught my attention .. as i asked earlier for buying a N97 .. i changed my mind .. i had many doubts .. is it really necessary to activate the blackberry services to use Wi-Fi .. coz i dont know i heard this somewhere that it is necessary .. i wont be using the blackberry services as of now .. because .. not of my many friends use blackberry .. so its of no use to me at this moment .. but i will be needing wi-fi .. to use facebook and other apps .. and yes .. does bol2 support other apps ?? i mean gaming and stuff .. i know its a business phone .. but i was just curious to know ..

I don't think BB OS is that good in Social Networking. BB Bold 2 is a very good phone but unless you use it for specific purpose, there is no use in getting this phone. And you always end up paying higher rental for data plans for BB devices. I think HTC's new crop of devices will fit your need better.

meet6600 said:
Hi Please advice for a really gud Nokia Phone Touchscreen or Non Touchscreen for my friend who's been using Nokia Phones for a long time but wants to buy a new one. Range is upto 15k but he wants that it should have good music quality, gud camera for occasional clicks and most important of all very good build quality. Of late there have been a lot of filmsy nokia fones which sweak or creak under slight pressure (he checked my N79 but was hugely disappointed wid d build quality of the fone). So please suggest something gud.

Nokia announced pricing of C6 in India and it is going to cost below 15k. (14k MRP I think). Looks to be a terrific phone. If your friend can wait, he can try this phone. but one thing to remember is possibility of buggy firmware or h/w since it is a new device and first gen phones CAN be prone to higher failure rate.

desiibond said:
I don't think BB OS is that good in Social Networking. BB Bold 2 is a very good phone but unless you use it for specific purpose, there is no use in getting this phone. And you always end up paying higher rental for data plans for BB devices. I think HTC's new crop of devices will fit your need better.

Nokia announced pricing of C6 in India and it is going to cost below 15k. (14k MRP I think). Looks to be a terrific phone. If your friend can wait, he can try this phone. but one thing to remember is possibility of buggy firmware or h/w since it is a new device and first gen phones CAN be prone to higher failure rate.

I want to avoid touch phones .. i am tired after iphone ..

egobrain.exe said:
I want to avoid touch phones .. i am tired after iphone ..

If you want phones with large display and keypad, N97 mini does make sense. good one for 19k-20k. (yes, price is reduced).

how about Samsung B7610? am yet to find one who is disappointed with this phone. amazing phone it is.

check these phones:

1) Nokia E72 : 17k-18k (clamshell qwerty)
2) Sony Ericsson W995 : 17.5k-18.5k (slider)
3) Motorola Milestone: 28k approx (slide qwerty)
4) Samsung B7610 : 22k (winmo, slide qwerty)
5) N97 Mini: 20k (symbian, slide angled qwerty)

ill tell you what my requirements are ..

-wi-fi(must)

-3.5mm jack(must)

-physical qwerty keyboard(must)

-good battery back up

-good social networking capabilities

-good UI, shouldnt hang because i get really irritated when ive to wait.

-should support 3rd party apps

so please suggest me something which fulfills this ..

egobrain.exe said:

-wi-fi(must)

-3.5mm jack(must)

-good battery back up

Moto milestone :)

wi-fi : check

3.5mm jack : check

physical qwerty : check

good battery : check

social net: double check. Android v2 baby!

good UI: triple check.

3rd party apps: triple check.

The only concern I heard is that right now, apps cannot be installed to memory card and can be installed only on phone's internal memory.

Second option:

N97 or N97 Mini

refined OS, decent number of apps, wifi, 3.5mm jack, good social net capabilities, slide qwerty

PS: N97 has a price cut. it's not at 23k. terrific price for a phone that has 32gb internal memory. http://www.univercell.in/mobiles/displayMobileDetails.action?productId=27633

egobrain.exe said:

-wi-fi(must)
-3.5mm jack(must)
-good battery back up

todays paper has announcement by Nokia regarding C6...
Nokia C6 - Full phone specifications

satisfies all your requirments and hope that it will be launched at 13-14K...

as I said ealier, better to wait and see if C6 is stable and doesn't have any build or firmware issues. Remember the first batch of 5800XM? build issues, display issues, buggy firmware.

desiibond said:
Moto milestone :)

wi-fi : check
3.5mm jack : check
physical qwerty : check
good battery : check
social net: double check. Android v2 baby!
good UI: triple check.
3rd party apps: triple check.

The only concern I heard is that right now, apps cannot be installed to memory card and can be installed only on phone's internal memory.

Second option:

N97 or N97 Mini
refined OS, decent number of apps, wifi, 3.5mm jack, good social net capabilities, slide qwerty

PS: N97 has a price cut. it's not at 23k. terrific price for a phone that has 32gb internal memory. Univercell - The Mobile Expert :: Nokia N97 - camera;qwerty;3g;n-series;symbian;gps;blog

The reviews of milestone here doesnt really impress me here .. :( .. im in a big confusion here ..

Motorola MILESTONE - User opinions and reviews

n97 or mini is the only option left ..

egobrain.exe said:
The reviews of milestone here doesnt really impress me here .. :( .. im in a big confusion here ..

Motorola MILESTONE - User opinions and reviews

n97 or mini is the only option left ..

N97 costs just 3k more than N97 Mini and you are getting 32Gig of internal memory, .3" bigger display, better battery. totally worth the extra 3k. but don't expect playing games on this one. It has 434MHz CPU. Good for multitasking but not for gaming like on iphone. :)

not sure if this phone is still available in India, but is one hell of windows phone with full qwerty:

HTC - Products - HTC Touch Pro2 - Overview

check this phone and samsung B7610 Pro if you are okay with winmo 6.5

PS: donno why but for most of the phones listed in gsmarena, most of the comments that I see are -ve but when i check rating, it's ultra high. very very fishy!

thetoxicmind said:
Well, the *best* ones would obviously depend on the features, one is looking for. So here is a more generalized list of touchscreen devices available in this range.

Touchscreen Phones - Entry Level

10 - 10.5K :

Nokia 5530 XM ~ 10.3K*
Samsung S5560 Marvel ~ 10.3K*
LG GT505 ~ 10.2K*

9-10K :

LG KS660 ~ 9.4K*
LG GW525 ~ 9.3K*
HTC Smart ~ 9.3K*
HTC Touch Viva ~ 9.3K*
Samsung M5650 Lindy ~ 9.3K*

8-9K :

Samsung S5620 ~ 8.9K*
Samsung B5722 ~ 8.9K*
Samsung Star WiFi ~ 8.6K*

Under 8K:

Nokia 5230 ~ 7.3K*
LG GD510 Cookie Pep ~ 6.9K*
Samsung Star ~ 6.7K*
Samsung S3653 Corby ~ 6.5K*
Nokia 5233 ~ 6.4K*
LG KP500 Cookie ~ 6.2K*

Phew! Quite a list eh?
Both prices and availability, may vary from place to place.

Hope this helps.

~ T.T.M ~

* Before 4% VAT

best pick from the list??
Would prefer one with good music quality n UI...n 3g would b a good addon but nt compulsory

I am planning to take new mobile. I have shortlisted two

1. samsung galaxy spica I5700

wht i liked is

android can be upgraded

social networking features

wht i didn't like

small display resolution as compared to gigabyte model (will it matter ?)

not sure how easily i can sync outlook

2. gigabyte ms820

wht i liked is

large display resolution

some camera features like face detection

wht i didn't like

windows 6.1 not upgradable

only two buttons on face.

please find the comparison link and suggest

Gigabyte GSmart MS820 vs. Samsung I5700 Galaxy Spica - GSMArena.com

i want phone for

1. basic call receiving

2. surfing

3. some photo clicks

4. watching videos

5. for downloading from torrents (gonna put 16GB micro SD)

tech1978 said:
I am planning to take new mobile. I have shortlisted two
1. samsung galaxy spica I5700
wht i liked is
android can be upgraded
social networking features

wht i didn't like
small display resolution as compared to gigabyte model (will it matter ?)
not sure how easily i can sync outlook

2. gigabyte ms820
wht i liked is
large display resolution
some camera features like face detection

wht i didn't like
windows 6.1 not upgradable
only two buttons on face.
please find the comparison link and suggest
Gigabyte GSmart MS820 vs. Samsung I5700 Galaxy Spica - GSMArena.com

i want phone for
1. basic call receiving
2. surfing
3. some photo clicks
4. watching videos
5. for downloading from torrents (gonna put 16GB micro SD)

no doubt spica is better among these two and a hot selling device in 10k-15k segment. other option would be nokia 5800XM.

desiibond said:
PS: donno why but for most of the phones listed in gsmarena, most of the comments that I see are -ve but when i check rating, it's ultra high. very very fishy!

Yeah exactly .. ive seen many such instances where phones have been rated so high but thier feedbacks arent upto the mark .. which causes a big confusion .. anyways .. well .. i still have time to think about which phone ill be getting as my iphone hasnt been sold yet .. :mad:

One more query

Going to buy CDMA fone

some requirements

1) Dual SIM(CDMA-GSM) or CDMA Solo SIM

2) 3G and wi-fi

3) Android

4) Kick ass Music player and quality

5) Decent camera (Secondary option)

6) HTC, Samsung, LG, sony ,moto, and nokia prefered

Budget 10-12K

Status
Not open for further replies.