The Motorola Defy Thread

^ aaaarrrrrggghhhhhh :mad: selecting th eSEA baseband does not help me :( I am still stuck with no Edge/3G... please hlep me with the baseband selection.....

which one are you guys using? am on WIUI latest one as on 12/8/2011

Install Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread CyanogenMod 7 on Motorola Defy in 20 easy steps :

Software Requires:

• RSD Lite - Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

• Android froyo.sbf file - JRDNEM_U3_3.4.3-33-1_CHINESE_SIGN_SIGNED.zip

• SuperOneClick v1.7 - SuperOneClickv1.7.rar

• CyanogenMod 7 ROM for Motorola Defy from XDA-Developers - [DEV][ROM] CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.4) - xda-developers

• Google Apps for the CyanogenMod 7 from CyanogenMod.com - Latest Version/Google Apps - CyanogenMod Wiki

Step for installing CyanogenMod 7 on Motorola Defy

1. [Computer], Install RSD Lite and open it.

2. [Defy] Power off your phone, then pressing power button and Volume Up keys.

3. [Computer], On the RSD Lite you should browse the .sbf file then click start.

4. Wait until the flash process completed.

5. [Defy], go to settings -> Applications -> Development -> check the USB debugging.

6. [Computer], Extract and run SuperOneClick then click Root.

7. Wait until root process completed.

8. [Defy], Go to market and install Defy 2ndinit.

9. Open Defy 2ndinit and install 2ndInit Recovery.

10. After it succeeds the top LED will green, then go to settings -> Applications -> Development -> uncheck the USB debugging.

11. Reboot your device 2 time.

12. [Computer], Copy CyanogenMod 7 for Defy and Google Apps to root of your SD card.

13. [Defy], Reboot your device, when the blue led lights at Motorola logo, press Volume Down to enter Bootmenu.

14. Go to “Set Default Bootmode” then select [2ND INIT BOOT].

15. Go to “[Custom Recovery] start”.

16. You should to take a backup of the existing ROM using the Backup option.

17. Select “wipe cache partition” then “wipe data/factory reset”.

18. Select “install zip from sdcard”, “choose zip from sdcard”, then select “cm7.1.0-RC1-jordan-signed.zip”

19. Select “choose zip from sdcard” then select “gapps-gb-20110613-signed.zip”

20. Select “+++++Go Back++++++” then “reboot your system now”.

Was the 3G/Edge working before? In my case it was APN settings issue(airtel) it never detected edge or 3g networks
If it worked before then its mostly baseband issue.

I am not very satisfied with my Defy's camera performance.TBH I don't find the performance of the Defy's camera to on par with my 2 year old Nokia 6303 classic (and it doesn't even compare with the K-790ior the C-510 I've had before.)

I use CM7 (2.3.4) RC 1 v2. I use the following applications as my camera apps - Camera360 Ultimate, Motorola Camera App and the default camera app provided with the CM7 custom ROM. Can anyone mention some app, setting, specific set of tweaks to improve camera performance?

I see that the Defy+ has a 1700 mAh battery. Excellent! I shall snag one when it releases, I am sure the 1700 mAh battery will fit the existing Defy. Also with Google's takeover of Motorola we can expect updates directly from Google! Awesome!

zopeon said:
Was the 3G/Edge working before? In my case it was APN settings issue(airtel) it never detected edge or 3g networks
If it worked before then its mostly baseband issue.

nope used to work before..... I want to know the optimal baseband for it.....

I m also having some problem booting in custom recovery

just rooted stock defy 2.2 using superoneclick 2.1.1 and installed Rom manager and installed CyanogenMod recovery

Now when I click reboot to recovery, it again reboots to stock recovery.

also when I restart defy, and press down key+power button, it boots to stock recovery.....

How to take nandroid backup then ?

for me the sceen always stuck to that android sign with triangle.....than if i press both vol. up & down, it goes to stock recovery

how to proceed (i have rooted my phone using superoneclick 2.1.1)

I am not very satisfied with my Defy's camera performance.TBH I don't find the performance of the Defy's camera to on par with my 2 year old Nokia 6303 classic (and it doesn't even compare with the K-790ior the C-510 I've had before.)

I use CM7 (2.3.4) RC 1 v2. I use the following applications as my camera apps - Camera360 Ultimate, Motorola Camera App and the default camera app provided with the CM7 custom ROM. I have tried LG Camera as well.

Can anyone mention some app, setting, specific set of tweaks to improve camera performance?

Back