The Nokia 5230 / 5233 Thread

Adding further to the confusion there are many guides with overall similar steps but a few dissimilarity like ticking and un-ticking certain settings whilst using JAF . In addition to that unclear steps when to use OFW files against the files made available by the modder
Hence refraining from flashing yet

^^The usual better web browsers like Opera mini and mobile as we know how great are the stock ones. Google maps that will work using cellular network due to lack of GPS.

For better customization of home screen, you can use the orange home screen Mod. I dont remember where i downloaded it from but it was awesome on my 5230. Everything you want is there on HS.

Register your IMEI number on THIS WEBSITE and wait for 24 hours or so to get your cer and key files. Download their PC software, freesigner.sisx and the cer and key files. Use the PC software to sign this freesigner.sisx using the cer and key files and then put all three (cer, key and freesigner_signed.sis) in your phone and now you dont need the PC software because you can use the install app in phone to sign sis(x) files.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

That orange home screen was downloaded from Enter Daily Mobile Forum

The most used apps on my 5233 are:
SBP Shell (if it weren't for this app, I would have ditched Symbian 6-7 months ago)
iSMS (same as above)
X-plore
KillMe
TTPod
Nimbuzz
Handy Taskman
Opera Mobile
Mobiola webcam

Games:
Doodle Jump
Raging Thunder
Minesweeper
Air Hockey
Labyrinth
Solitaire

Here are a few screenshots of my phone:

Attachments

• SuperScreenshot0146.jpg
    SuperScreenshot0146.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 150
  • SuperScreenshot0155.jpg
    SuperScreenshot0155.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 118
  • SuperScreenshot0102.jpg
    SuperScreenshot0102.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 135
  • SuperScreenshot0149.jpg
    SuperScreenshot0149.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 132
^^The SPB shell is definitely an eye candy but a battery eater and RAM eater. I had used for a couple of weeks on my 5230 but when i discovered the Orange Home screen theme, i ditched SPB for it had better usability and functionality and simplicity but was not eyecandy which anyways was not needed to me.

raksrules said:
^^The SPB shell is definitely an eye candy but a battery eater and RAM eater. I had used for a couple of weeks on my 5230 but when i discovered the Orange Home screen theme, i ditched SPB for it had better usability and functionality and simplicity but was not eyecandy which anyways was not needed to me.
For me it was the other way around. I started out with the Orange Tsunami homescreen and ended up with SPB. Multiple homescreens (up to 14 pages), Ability to add widgets/shortcuts, weather, smart dialing, great modding scene, etc were good enough for me to sacrifice 15-20MB RAM. I never found it to be a battery eater and manage to get over a day of battery life with medium to heavy usage. Also, I'm running my own CFW and have around 70mb of RAM during start up and 30-40MB with SPB shell and iSMS on.

Got my 5233 saturday evening. Didnt have much time to fiddle around but installed Opera, photo browser and couple of themes.

Loving this theme -> Ovi Store: High Five The black levels seems so deep with it and also the viewing angle is good. Blends perfectly with my black phone :D

Its on RM625 and kinectic scrolling is very impressive in both the music player and the contacts and messages. Pleasant when compared to early 5800 FWs :p

Once we enter the inbox/sent items the message is displayed as below,

Sender Name

Time Message Summary (1st 4-5 words)

But i don't want the message summary to be displayed and want it be displayed. But i am not able to change the view! Can someone please let me know the setting to change this.

Also in the call log say if i call Mr. X at 5:30, 6:30 and 7:30 then the info stored there is I called Mr.X at 07:30. How to view what is the timings of the last 5-10 calls i made to Mr.X!

^check the last box in the log (right box). You would get all the log of what you did the whole day on your phone like messaged to, the time you used your internet etc.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

For the inbox thing just in the inbox, go to the drop down menu and select to sort your message by date. If the number of messages increase then atleast you wont see the summary of all the messages.

Finally updated my phone to the new V50 firmware update yesterday. Feels snappier now and the lockscreen now has the swipe to unlock option besides using the unlock rocker. Browser's been updated as well. No more crashes. :)

TheNightwing said:
Finally updated my phone to the new V50 firmware update yesterday. Feels snappier now and the lockscreen now has the swipe to unlock option besides using the unlock rocker. Browser's been updated as well. No more crashes. :)
So you can forget flashing a CFW for a while now.

I am waiting for Infinity 2, which will be based on the new C6 FW, which has all the new enhancements.

Back