The Nokia 5230 / 5233 Thread

H2O said:
Anyone here no anything about opda is giving them the IEMI number a safe option ? I want to install these applications but not at the risk of jeopardizing my security.

I too am concerned about this.

At the moment I do not have a Memory Card will be getting it soon ordered from Ebay. Does using a memory card reduce battery life significantly ?

Yes battery life will be affected but not sure to what extent

Also is installing an Antivirus important ?

I had installed once, the name was something stating with N, dont remember, it was good enough

Last question, it seems to me that the inbuilt facebook application does not display my notifications, is there some way to see my notifications ?

Use facebook through opera mini, i can see notifications using that.
Replies Inline....

@raks

visit here : Nokia India - Warranty verification

After it shows the your phone is under warranty, it says that it is valid for next 10 days and if you want to rma your phone after 10 days then you should bring the proof of purchase. So we can infer that within 10 days of warranty check, you don't need the proof of purchase. :)

Guys got the confirmation 5230 upgraded to 20.0.005 retaining the hack.

guys, I fully formatted ma 5230, installed helloOX and then upgraded via NSU. the phone is still able to activate the installserver patch in rompatcher. speed has surely increased. also i installed the latest java runtime and results are pretty much amazing.

only drawback i found is that the fade effect between the portrait and landscape mode is gone.

I was also able retaining the hack in my 5230 after upgrading to 20.0.005

Ill be trying it myself in a day or 2.

same here..

Updated to the latest FW this morning.. nothing lost. UI is snappier, auto rotate is verrrry slightly improved. The maps app is cooler. :)

guys can somebody post the screenshot of the new music player in v20
i heard that the ui of music player has changed to a great extent

and one more thing......... is the kinetic scrolling in menu only for the main menu or is it for all menus

M facing the well known problem of restarting.Its very annoying, i even updated to latest firmware v20 , and still the problem exist. I have a 4GB Verbatim Class4 microsd card.

i recently loaded it with songs so the free space left was 600MB. Earlier i use to have 1.5 GB free and i never faced the problem of restarting.

Now ill empty it again too 1.5 GB free . Lets see what happens.

Also a new bug in v20 is that you cannot set the touch vibration to Level 1. Level 1 feels like the strongest Level 3 setting .

BTW upgraded to 20.0.005 retaining the hack.

killerz said:
M facing the well known problem of restarting.Its very annoying, i even updated to latest firmware v20 , and still the problem exist. I have a 4GB Verbatim Class4 microsd card.

i recently loaded it with songs so the free space left was 600MB. Earlier i use to have 1.5 GB free and i never faced the problem of restarting.

Now ill empty it again too 1.5 GB free . Lets see what happens.

Also a new bug in v20 is that you cannot set the touch vibration to Level 1. Level 1 feels like the strongest Level 3 setting .

BTW upgraded to 20.0.005 retaining the hack.

Maybe you should try formating your memory card and checking for bad sectors.

Even I use touch vibration at level 1, that sounds bad. Hopefully you can sort your problems out.

I just found out 5233 has motion gaming :hap2: Can someone point me towards a decent bowling game, it would be nice if it had motion gaming to. Also can anyone guide me how I should set AGPS up. I have Mobile Office (Rs. 98) plan activated. Also how accurate is it ?

Heres alink for 5800XM applications but I think they should work with 5230, these seem like some decent addons.

http://www.nokia.co.in/find-products/products/nokia-5800-xpressmusic/download-application

UPDATE : Those applications do not work Nokia have locked those applications to 5800 only.

v.Na5h said:

and one more thing......... is the kinetic scrolling in menu only for the main menu or is it for all menus

From what I read the latest update gives Kinetic Scrolling to all menu's I hope Nokia releases this update for 5233 fast.

v.Na5h said:

Nope, the music player is the same for v20. Kinetic scrolling is everywhere now. :)

My 5230 somehow never detects bluetooth headsets. (One more issue :mad:)

Can someone confirm whether the steps that i am following to pair a bluetooth earpiece is correct or not.

1. I turn the bluetooth ON

2. Go to "Paired Devices" and search for a new paired device.

3. The phone detects my sony ericsson w800i perfectly. (This is just to see whether bluetooth is actually working or not)

4. The phone should also find my bluetooth headset but it does not :S

Now let me assure that the headset is perfect. Infact i even tried my roomie's nokia bh-106 and that too is not detected.

Instead my sony ericsson w800i detects both of them as audio accessories.

What am i doing wrong or is it that bluetooth in my phone is partially broken :-[

Edit: My colleague has a 5233 and his phone too failed to detect my chinese made A2DP headset :O It now seems my headset is broken as my SE phone is also not detecting it. :(

Will update here later.

raksrules said:
My 5230 somehow never detects bluetooth headsets. (One more issue :mad:)

Can someone confirm whether the steps that i am following to pair a bluetooth earpiece is correct or not.

1. I turn the bluetooth ON

2. Go to "Paired Devices" and search for a new paired device.

3. The phone detects my sony ericsson w800i perfectly. (This is just to see whether bluetooth is actually working or not)

4. The phone should also find my bluetooth headset but it does not :S

Now let me assure that the headset is perfect. Infact i even tried my roomie's nokia bh-106 and that too is not detected.

Instead my sony ericsson w800i detects both of them as audio accessories.

What am i doing wrong or is it that bluetooth in my phone is partially broken :-[

I too faced the same problem while connecting Original Nokia bluetooth headset. Its all about the timing,tried couple of times finally i got it :D

Pairing Instructions:

1. Please ensure that the Headset is OFF, i.e the blue light is not flashing.

2. Press and hold the answer/end button until you see a solid blue light (approximately 8 seconds), then release.

3. Set your phone to “discover” the headset by following your phone's instruction guide. Typically, the steps involved going to a “setup”, “connect”, or “Bluetooth” menu on your phone and then selecting the option to “discover” a Bluetooth device.

4. When your phone finds the headset, it asks if you want to pair with it. Confirm this by selecting “yes” or “ok”.

5. When your phone asks for a passkey, enter “0000” (4 zeros) from your keypad and then press “yes” or “ok”.

Okay, I am in the habit of charging my phone every night when I goto sleep it charges for about 5-6 hours. What I would like to know is that, my phone does not run down completely throughout the day it has 3-4 bars still left but I am sure it will be over in the middle of the next day. Will my battery be fine if I charge everyday ?

My battery gives me about 4 hours of talk time, 1/2 an hour to an hour of internet (facebook, bbc), and sending 4-5 long text messages and about 10-15 minutes of the roller coaster game its used for about 14-16 hours and by the end of it which there are 3-4 bars of battery remaining. Is the battery performance fine ?

Currently I do not have an microSD card, so you have to account for that.

^ Don't leave your battery charging for so long over the night. As soon as battery is full, disconnect the charger. The battery will die soon if you keep over charging it.

Back