The Power Supply Unit recommendation thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be upgrading infact to Athlon II X4 620 and HD5770 1GB, How about gigabyte 460w? If I had 4k net (acc to lynx rates) I wud have definitely bought vx450 without second thoughts and will buy it if I can manage, but that seems impossible now.

And for the confidence part, I was talking about it delivering its labeled power with not-so-bad efficiency, ofcourse the psu I will buy now will be better in both quality and efficiency. It can provide 80% efficiency when pulling 30-40% load and otherwise it provides efficiency b/w 74-78%

shivamrockz07 said:
I would be upgrading infact to Athlon II X4 620 and HD5770 1GB, How about gigabyte 460w? If I had 4k net (acc to lynx rates) I wud have definitely bought vx450 without second thoughts and will buy it if I can manage, but that seems impossible now.

Anyone? What psu to buy under 3k?
difference b/w gigabyte 460w,cx400 and seasonic 380w?
Pls. reply asap.

If you could extend the budget by a bit, get the VX450. If not, get the Seasonic 380W. I'm not sure but I think the CX400 has a 3yr warranty as against 5yr for the rest of the Corsair PSUs.

Gannu said:
If you could extend the budget by a bit, get the VX450. If not, get the Seasonic 380W. I'm not sure but I think the CX400 has a 3yr warranty as against 5yr for the rest of the Corsair PSUs.

I will already be stretching my budget a bit, Was previously thinking to buy Gigabyte 460w, then thought of increasing my budget to get something with some upgrade potential. How much of a difference is there b/w the gigabyte and the seasonic one?

How about CM real power 460w? Which of these can provide max continuous power with 80+ efficiency? Do I really need VX450?

^The Real Power 460W is another good alternative to the Corsair and Seasonic models. Not sure of the warranty details though. Forget the Gigabyte Superb 460, you need something better - the Gigabyte 460 is a rebadged FSP 400w power supply so it may not supply the required amperage on the +12V rails.

Well, for starters it ain't 80% efficient. Second, you said it yourself that want upgrade potential. Third, if you have made efforts to check the reviews of the card, it takes 230w atleast (well the max I saw was 280w on load but then again, one must check their test methodology) on load. The last thing you need to do being stingy on a power supply and expect upgrade potential at the same time. You make the choice- either a decent power supply with lesser/no legroom for upgrades (viz seasonic s12 380) or an excellent psu with a good amount of legroom for upgrades (corsair vx450).

If you're wondering why gigabyte 460 superb is not mentioned, its pretty obvious. There's absolutely no reviews about it which proves that it can give 460w on peak load as advertised. Keeping this only this config in mind without overclocking and/or upgrading headroom, stick to seasonic s12 380w. If you want headroom, vx450 all the way. Can't do either? Don't get the graphic card.

The Sorcerer said:
Well, for starters it ain't 80% efficient. Second, you said it yourself that want upgrade potential. Third, if you have made efforts to check the reviews of the card, it takes 230w atleast (well the max I saw was 280w on load but then again, one must check their test methodology) on load. The last thing you need to do being stingy on a power supply and expect upgrade potential at the same time. You make the choice- either a decent power supply with lesser/no legroom for upgrades (viz seasonic s12 380) or an excellent psu with a good amount of legroom for upgrades (corsair vx450).

If you're wondering why gigabyte 460 superb is not mentioned, its pretty obvious. There's absolutely no reviews about it which proves that it can give 460w on peak load as advertised. Keeping this only this config in mind without overclocking and/or upgrading headroom, stick to seasonic s12 380w. If you want headroom, vx450 all the way. Can't do either? Don't get the graphic card.

How about Cooler Master Real Power Pro 460?

Wont a CX400 suffice for Athlon II X4 620 and HD5770 1GB?

My other upgrades could get delayed if I eventually decide to buy VX450..considering Im being quoted 4149/- for it @Lynx

I could even consider Seasonic 430w...@ 3822/-

and Cx400 @ 3221/-

The CX400 should. The CM RP460 should provide the extra headroom should you plan to upgrade your processor or graphics card - not by a huge margin though!

shivamrockz07 said:
I will already be stretching my budget a bit, Was previously thinking to buy Gigabyte 460w, then thought of increasing my budget to get something with some upgrade potential. How much of a difference is there b/w the gigabyte and the seasonic one?

How about CM real power 460w? Which of these can provide max continuous power with 80+ efficiency? Do I really need VX450?

loads of difference

Seasonic is a top OEM brand for PSUs, they make some PSU models for corsairs, who rebrand it

Get Seasonic if its in your budget, no Giga or CM or anything else

I dont have a clue how good is Seasonic warranty in India, its a new brand here, so get to know abt the warranty part before buying

Corsairs have good support in India and 5 years solid warranty cover

What to get?

Cx400 @ 3221/-

Seasonic 430w...@ 3822/-

VX450..@ 4149/-

CM Real Power 460W @ 3676/-

Im thinking of buying Seasonic 430w..

shivamrockz07 said:
How about Cooler Master Real Power Pro 460?

If there is a choice between cm real power pro 460 (I assume there's only 1 model within this) and vx450, I would choose the vx450.

Ofcourse there are some questioning why corsair and making wild conspiracies since they are sitting at home and doing nothing. So this is corsair vx450 101 for them.

Seeing the quality difference between caps and all, vx450 still makes it even more logical choice. Why?

As the power supply gets older, the quality breaks down and so does the efficiency. Using psu with better components is the only way to make sure the process of efficiency is lowered down. Corsair (seasonic OEMs) use Chemi-Con "made in Taiwan" capacitors and real power pro uses "Elite" made in Thailand caps. So what's the difference between the place of manufacturing and company? Chemi-con's caps are rated for 105 degrees celcius, real power pro uses the ones rated for 85, and I assume CM still uses them. People can read the reviews of both the units at hardware secrets as well. But now vx450 costs 3.9k in approxiamation. You're a lot better with this against real power pro 460w. Other than that, you make the decision as relevant points are made.

Now a layman would say what's the point? If he does so, he didn't understand/read the point where I commented about efficiency that will break down in time. These things matter in long term. That's the reason why corsair vx450 is recommended heavily to death in majority of the forum. The unit itself is so fantastic that one will radically need to think of something to topple this in price, warranty period and value.

There aren't many psu manufacturers out there in India that uses the same/similar component with same warranty period and proven after sales service with proper distribution nationwide.

Seeing CM's history of dropping quality all of a sudden, CM must be prevented as much as possible IMHO, not just for psu. CM extreme "PCAR" 500 units come with either copper or aluminium sinks. If you see the newer manufactured cm 690s, the grills on the new one start to rust AFTER some months of usage, unlike the old ones.

You're a lot better with the seasonics/seasonic OEM units like the vx450, its technicially similar unit and the same components is used.

Said it before and will say it again Shivam, its you who will have to make the decision yourself and you say what you want to buy. I already told and I quote:

Keeping this only this config in mind without overclocking and/or upgrading headroom, stick to seasonic s12 380w. If you want headroom, vx450 all the way. Can't do either? Don't get the graphic card.

I am sure this itself will answer your question. If you still have doubts, read the entire thing all over again. Even a novice can understand the points that are being emphasized. There is also a psu guide? So why don't do some research yourself rather than asking the same question?

Yeahh, I live in chandigarh, so basically there is only one reputable dealer I know of (Amarbir) from where I do all of my purchasing. It is available there @4149

I called lynx just now, talked to them I asked them for some discount as me being an old customer :), They agreed for 4050/- price okay?

shivamrockz07 said:
Yeahh, I live in chandigarh, so basically there is only one reputable dealer I know of (Amarbir) from where I do all of my purchasing. It is available there @4149

with or without VAT ??

in both cases, its very expensive

Check with other TE dealers like MH, Itwares, Buygamingstuff,Phoenix, SMC if they can get this PSU shipped to your place at better price point

Else check with prime

^^ even 3.9k would go above that price incse of shipping..

4050 is a great price if you can avoid shipping (or get free shipping)

go for it.

or you can look for a 2nd hand vx450 in TE market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back