The Raspberry Pi Thread

Check under Device Manager if the drive shows up in Windows. If yes then the drive is okay.

Then you can restart from scratch i.e. format the drive to FAT32 from Windows. Then attach to Pi, boot Pi up and check if it shows up there.

If it doesn't show up set max usb current parameter.

If all is good then you can format the drive to ext4,mount it and copy your stuff over.

It does show up in device manager on windows machine but as I told, it will eject itself after 1-2 minutes. When it does show under device manager, it shows like this....

Seagate BUP Slim BK SCSI Disk Device

Then I right click -> properties on this drive and go to "Volumes" and "Populate" and it gives error.
Going to "Events" tab and bottom Information part shows its GUID something and there something like this..

Present: false

For my windows 10 HDD in laptop, it shows true.

Edit: With all failed attempts to read the drive, I am now installing virtual box and ubuntu on my windows machine to see if that helps somehow.
@Marcus Fenix

The ext4 drive should ideally be visible on windows laptop right? So I can format in FAT32 or NTFS or something else right?

Last edited:
@raksrules - From going through your posts, I would first make sure the new drive gets detected correctly. One way to check would be:

1. Use the command: sudo journalctl -f
This should continue to print new journal/log messages on the terminal.

2. Plug in your new hard drive. Monitor the terminal (from #1) for any new messages. You can probably make out yourself if your drive is being detected. If in doubt, please copy/paste the messages here.

BTW, these are generic steps I would follow on a Linux machine with systemd (and not specific to the Pi).

@codelad

The new drive connects and detects fine. It is the old HDD which suddenly disappeared and now won't work. I have now connected the new HDD but not yet formatted as I am contemplating whether I should do ext4 or NTFS.

In order to see if the ext4 format is an issue with my old seagate HDD, I took a 16GB Pen drive and formatted using ext4 on Pi and then connected to window laptop and it immediately asked me whether I wanted to format that usb (which was expected) This thing does not happen with the seagate HDD at all.

I also made a Live USB of Ubuntu and it won't detect the seagate and neither will ubuntu inside virtual box on windows 10. I am convinced seagate suddenly died.

I checked warranty status and it expired just 2 weeks back. Called seagate customer care who told me on goodwill basis, they will extend warranty for 1 month so I can claim RMA. I am waiting for the status of warranty to be updated on their website and then will raise RMA request.

I was able to backup my sonarr setup so now using that I will have to download all of my stuff again (1.7 TB) which is ok.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I am using the same mountpoint for the new WD Passport HDD (/mnt/seagatehdd) and will create same directory structure as before for TV shows, movies etc so other software keep working fine.

The new drive connects and detects fine. It is the old HDD which suddenly disappeared and now won't work. I have now connected the new HDD but not yet formatted as I am contemplating whether I should do ext4 or NTFS.
Looks like your old HDD is gone. Just for kicks, you could try monitoring the logs (as in my previous post) while plugging it in, to see if it errors out or is totally not detected at all. Either way, it looks like you got your new HDD just in time.

Looks like your old HDD is gone. Just for kicks, you could try monitoring the logs (as in my previous post) while plugging it in, to see if it errors out or is totally not detected at all. Either way, it looks like you got your new HDD just in time.

The seagate customer care guy has extended my warranty and I have asked them for pickup of my current HDD so lets see how it goes.
Now downloading is happening on my new HDD.

I am having one issue since last 2 days. Qbittorrent seems to be crashing frequently. I initially thought it was due to too many active torrents so removed many of those and now have 5 or so and not all are downloading either.

The only thing I am doing simultaneously is streaming 720p content on my tv.

I also observed that entire night there seems to be there was no qbittorrent crash as in morning when I opened the web interface, I saw about 89GB downloaded.

Thanks to the script changes some of you had suggested few posts back, qbittorrent does restart automatically but torrents go into "checking" Eveytime it restarts from a crash.

Any idea what may be the cause?

I am having one issue since last 2 days. Qbittorrent seems to be crashing frequently. I initially thought it was due to too many active torrents so removed many of those and now have 5 or so and not all are downloading either.
Were you able to gather anything from the logs? If you run qbittorrent as a systemd service, journalctl -xb -u <unit-name> might give you some clues. Afraid I'm unfamiliar with qbittorrent - you may also want to look at any program-specific logs, if available.
Thanks to the script changes some of you had suggested few posts back, qbittorrent does restart automatically but torrents go into "checking" Eveytime it restarts from a crash.

In every torrent program I have used, the files are verified after a crash or an abrupt stoppage. This could be some form of hash-checking on the files to maintain integrity and very likely unavoidable. Your best bet is to find the source of the crashes and hopefully fix them.

I also observed that entire night there seems to be there was no qbittorrent crash as in morning when I opened the web interface, I saw about 89GB downloaded.

Thats very odd. I have 60-70 torrents seeding/downloading and it has never crashed on me. Although each file averages around 300-400 MB.
Maybe you should try out transmission. Its a bit better for headless systems. The only reason I use qbittorrent is for the ability to add custom trackers on each torrent automatically,

Has anyone here tried PiHole? Does it block ads on Youtube as well?
I have a pihole on a rpi3b+
Pihole won’t be able to block YouTube ads. Pihole is a dns filter, it works best when the ads are served from domain different from the content. YouTube serves ad from YouTube domain itself(and some newer random domains). If you block them, you’ll block YouTube itself too.

this discussion should be helpful

Has anyone here tried PiHole? Does it block ads on Youtube as well?
videos are served from the same domain, so we cant block youtube ads. by using any dns based adblocker.
people trying hard, complex regex and all, but that's always hit or miss. and its a miss most of the time.
pay google the ransom to get rid of ads, or use newpipe - https://github.com/TeamNewPipe/NewPipe in android, ios use safari & on tv use smartyoutbuve tv - https://github.com/yuliskov/SmartTubeNext

in fact netflix is taking similar route, for last couple of days i cant access Netflix if using blokada in firetv, it detecting it and refusing to load.
Those companies are getting smart to evade any adblock / anti-telemetry .

Last edited:
To put it in short, the phone chargers are chargers not powersupplies, their current is not even, it goes up and down. Everything from wire guage, to the quality of components inside decide the voltage & current it will out put. Plus its not an exact fit, so you dont know what level is the charger providing to the Pi.
RPI4 is uniquely sensitive about power. You can check the voltage being provided.

Check if these commands can help you diagnose the issue -> https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=190584

The reason I tell you this is cause when i bought the pi4 in 2019, I had done extensive research as I was going to make a NAS with it. I tried it with other powesupplies from Amazon plus current ones I had. The cpu was throttled and voltage varied a lot. Even on my Oneplus 3T charger. Also the 4 volt oneplus delivers is in proprietary tech, not sure its reaching the RPI4. I got 2 original powersupplies for both my rpi4s in 2019 and I have my NAS on since 2019, its never had any issue. Its connected to usb hdd all the time.

Check the above, try the commands and see if you find a problem.
Damn thanks for the insight, I know about the handshaking for charges like PD and proprietary tech. But didnt know that the RPi will not be able to fetch the non-negotiated power with these power supplies. Thanks for the input. This explains the issue I used to have for HDD at times.

Yes, the recheck is annoying after every crash or power shut down, I move to transmission way back since it does't recheck and is in my experience the best client you can run on RPi. I have tried rutorrent and deluge. Didn't try qBittorrent though since it was not available when I was experimenting. Managing torrents with transmission with a custom config path was the best solution I could find. Helped me distro hop as well. Recently I started using dietPi with remote.it and it's been really awesome. Remote SSH/FTP access along with Plex for mobile or TV runs great. You can manually do and setup whatever dietPi script does but you know right now ease of use matters ;) BTW I am running a 1TB HDD with the Pi.

I use these scripts for my setup, mainly the mount with systemd so the transmission doesn't start if the HDD is not mounted.

Last edited:
quick question. do we have to perform any additional task if using 128+gb micro sd (something like this https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07G3H5RBT/) ?
will it by default recognise the entire capacity right after we flashed the dietpi images using etcher.
There are two ways this works, either the program uses dd to allocate the rest of the partition to the SD Card or the first time the Pi runs it auto expands to incorporate the entire SD card. I believe with etcher it's the first approach. BTW don't use SD card for keeping data since they have a history of getting bad very fast if used for torrents or actively being written.

There are two ways this works, either the program uses dd to allocate the rest of the partition to the SD Card or the first time the Pi runs it auto expands to incorporate the entire SD card. I believe with etcher it's the first approach. BTW don't use SD card for keeping data since they have a history of getting bad very fast if used for torrents or actively being written.
thanks for the quick reply. not torrenting i was thinking to run media streaming services ( emby media/ jellyfin) out of it, it might need some space for all the metadata and cache.
do you think the safe bet is to get 16/32gig fastest card possible and not waste money in buying high capacity cards.

for media storage i may attaching ssd via usb if needed in future.

thanks for the quick reply. not torrenting i was thinking to run media streaming services ( emby media/ jellyfin) out of it, it might need some space for all the metadata and cache.
do you think the safe bet is to get 16/32gig fastest card possible and not waste money in buying high capacity cards.

for media storage i may attaching ssd via usb if needed in future.
Yes absolutely its a much better way to manage these.
Based on the version of rpi one has, its possible to boot directly off a usb drive and not use a sd card at all -
I have been booting to USB for a very long time even on the RPi 1 B+ I think. The SD card was used for the /boot while the rest of the system was mounted using fstab entries for HDD. But one issue with this is that, any power issues with the Pi powering the HDD, it won't boot up and it's a pain for a headless setup in that case. Overall I used a 2GB SD card with a 32GB HDD root partition.

Back