The Raspberry Pi Thread

I am having a weird issue with qbittorrent on Raspberry Pi 4. Whenever I try to download a torrent which is very large In size, qbittorrent will keep crashing and on restarting, it will do recheck and start torrent and then again crash. I usually get these large sized torrents from private tracker. Recent one was 187GB in size.

But instead if I have smaller torrents like 40-60GB ones, they don't crash qbittorent.

I am having a weird issue with qbittorrent on Raspberry Pi 4. Whenever I try to download a torrent which is very large In size, qbittorrent will keep crashing and on restarting, it will do recheck and start torrent and then again crash. I usually get these large sized torrents from private tracker. Recent one was 187GB in size.

But instead if I have smaller torrents like 40-60GB ones, they don't crash qbittorent.
Did you check the logs for the reason, this might cause of file size allocation or something?

Never really tried with sizes like this but it seems like the CPU horsepower and/or qbt might be the issue.

Can you try with transmission/rtorrent?

If you want to debug qbt then here's another option-

Open /home/qbittorrent/.config/qBittorrent/qBittorrent.conf
Add these lines to enable logging.
[Application]
FileLogger\Enabled=true
FileLogger\Age=6
FileLogger\DeleteOld=true
FileLogger\Backup=true
FileLogger\AgeType=0
FileLogger\Path=path/to/log/folder/of/your/choice
FileLogger\MaxSize=10

Explanation:
FileLogger\Backup= backup the log file when it becomes bigger than FileLogger\MaxSize= x MB

FileLogger\DeleteOld= delete the backup logs after FileLogger\Age= 6 FileLogger\AgeType= x where x can be 0=days, 1=months, 2=years

Now after qbt crashes go to the log path and check the file for issues.

Does a DietPI backup do like a full backup of all the settings as well of all the installed softwares? Like in my case, I have qbittorrent working with Sonarr, Radarr and Jackett and setting all this up required efforts initially to make sure all things work in sync. Now that all is setup along with the added tv shows and movies in the sonarr / radarr list and trackers in Jackett list, I would hate to lose all this and start from scratch if the situation arises.

I take the dietpi backup (on attached hdd) as and when I remember and then even transfer the backup to my local computer as safekeeping method. So if ever my dietpi installation gets messed up or something and I need to reinstall, just restoring the backup should make everything like it was before?

Does a DietPI backup do like a full backup of all the settings as well of all the installed softwares? Like in my case, I have qbittorrent working with Sonarr, Radarr and Jackett and setting all this up required efforts initially to make sure all things work in sync. Now that all is setup along with the added tv shows and movies in the sonarr / radarr list and trackers in Jackett list, I would hate to lose all this and start from scratch if the situation arises.

I take the dietpi backup (on attached hdd) as and when I remember and then even transfer the backup to my local computer as safekeeping method. So if ever my dietpi installation gets messed up or something and I need to reinstall, just restoring the backup should make everything like it was before?
Its an OS image backup. I have restored my backup multiple times without any loss of user configuration in individual applications. One thing to keep in mind though. If any config is on the attached USB HDD it won't be backed up. Backup works flawlessly for anything on the SD card in my experience.

Its an OS image backup. I have restored my backup multiple times without any loss of user configuration in individual applications. One thing to keep in mind though. If any config is on the attached USB HDD it won't be backed up. Backup works flawlessly for anything on the SD card in my experience.

Can you explain this part? Like what kind of config may be on USB HDD?

Can you explain this part? Like what kind of config may be on USB HDD?
Usually all config of apps installed from dietpi-software is on the SD card only so no worries there.

But in my case I installed mariadb on a standalone basis without going through dietpt-software and the DB's data files are written to the USB HDD as per my configuration.

The DB table data is not backed up in dietpi-backup. The DB config is on the SD card and its backed up as-is though.

I want all my LAN devices to go through the vpn server(wireguard) running in cloud. So instead of setting up the wireguard client in each device in my network, I've set up wireguard client in RPi running dietpi and created iptables rules to forward (NAT) all the traffic to the wireguard network. Also running dnsmasq in the RPi to handle dhcp requests for my network devices.

So far fine, all my devices uses RPi as gateway and internet working fine, EXCEPT banking sites and apps. In general, other https sites are working fine, and only netbanking sites are having error connection reset issue.

If i directly run wireguard client in my network client(mobile or laptop), then no issues with banking sites. The problem comes only when running through the RPi gateway.

Anyone can help me to resolve the issue?

EDIT: Nevermind, found the solution, it is due to with MTU size issue.

Last edited:
I want all my LAN devices to go through the vpn server(wireguard) running in cloud. So instead of setting up the wireguard client in each device in my network, I've set up wireguard client in RPi running dietpi and created iptables rules to forward (NAT) all the traffic to the wireguard network. Also running dnsmasq in the RPi to handle dhcp requests for my network devices.

So far fine, all my devices uses RPi as gateway and internet working fine, EXCEPT banking sites and apps. In general, other https sites are working fine, and only netbanking sites are having error connection reset issue.

If i directly run wireguard client in my network client(mobile or laptop), then no issues with banking sites. The problem comes only when running through the RPi gateway.

Anyone can help me to resolve the issue?

EDIT: Nevermind, found the solution, it is due to with MTU size issue.
Nice, where did you hosted Wireguard server. Please can you share some details about it.
I am also planning similar setup while site to site VPN.

Nice, where did you hosted Wireguard server. Please can you share some details about it.
I am also planning similar setup while site to site VPN.
Not the person you asked, but also running Wireguard. So thought of replying.

If you are good with Linux/server stuff, you can look at Oracle cloud. It gives you a free VPS with 1vCPU core and 1 GB RAM, which should be enough to run a Wireguard server. I tried this, but was never able to make it work, despite adding all the rules to their firewall etc.

I then tried running the tunnel on my other paid VPS located in Germany. I get it from Contabo. Their cheapest plan is 3.99 Euro per month, under storage VPS, which you can use if you don't need the server for anything else. I use their basic SSD based VPS plan which is 4.99 Euro per month since I host couple other sites as well. It's the cheapest VPS I have found with good amount of resources (4 vCPU cores and 8 GB RAM) and the service is quite good. I have had it for more than a year now and have never faced any downtime. The storage VPS was very slow for my purpose though, so I had to upgrade.
P.S.: GST @ 18% will be applied on above rates.

Not the person you asked, but also running Wireguard. So thought of replying.

If you are good with Linux/server stuff, you can look at Oracle cloud. It gives you a free VPS with 1vCPU core and 1 GB RAM, which should be enough to run a Wireguard server. I tried this, but was never able to make it work, despite adding all the rules to their firewall etc.

I then tried running the tunnel on my other paid VPS located in Germany. I get it from Contabo. Their cheapest plan is 3.99 Euro per month, under storage VPS, which you can use if you don't need the server for anything else. I use their basic SSD based VPS plan which is 4.99 Euro per month since I host couple other sites as well. It's the cheapest VPS I have found with good amount of resources (4 vCPU cores and 8 GB RAM) and the service is quite good. I have had it for more than a year now and have never faced any downtime. The storage VPS was very slow for my purpose though, so I had to upgrade.
P.S.: GST @ 18% will be applied on above rates.

Yes oracle cloud is in mind, I saw some really nice info.about it on IBF forum. Anyone tried here wiregurard site to site VPN here using rpi.

where did you hosted Wireguard server
In oracle cloud(OCI) only, running in arm based Ubuntu instance. My main requirement was, to do connect machines remotely(RDP or Nomachine), so having own vpn server is more useful. Other than this, running nextcloud also in OCI.

BTW, I'm not a Linux guy, all setup based on information available from internet only.

Did anyone tried reinstalling the DietPi on Pi4 - took latest image from DietPi website, first run script got struck at apt upgrade for more than hour.

After that cancelled it and installed raspbian lite 64 bit image and got everything working in less than half an hour.

I wasn't sure if I should make another thread, so I'm going to post here since this seems to be the main repository for all things Pi.

I want to build a media server and NAS to use in my home network. I will be streaming 1080p content but I want the capability of streaming 4k content in the future.

Currently, I am eyeing a Pi 4 - 4GB variant. I have a 5TB USB 3.0 external HDD which I plan to use with the Pi. The Pi will be hooked up to my gigabit network and I will primarily be accessing the content on my computer and smart TVs.

I plan to run the Pi in headless mode. Is the Pi an ideal solution? Do you guys recommend Plex, Kodi, JellyFin, or some other service?

Any help would be much appreciated! TIA!

I wasn't sure if I should make another thread, so I'm going to post here since this seems to be the main repository for all things Pi.

I want to build a media server and NAS to use in my home network. I will be streaming 1080p content but I want the capability of streaming 4k content in the future.

Currently, I am eyeing a Pi 4 - 4GB variant. I have a 5TB USB 3.0 external HDD which I plan to use with the Pi. The Pi will be hooked up to my gigabit network and I will primarily be accessing the content on my computer and smart TVs.

I plan to run the Pi in headless mode. Is the Pi an ideal solution? Do you guys recommend Plex, Kodi, JellyFin, or some other service?

Any help would be much appreciated! TIA!

I currently run Raspberry Pi 4 in headless mode for streaming max 1080p. I once tried 4K video but it didn't work, not sure if it was my TV an issue or what since my TV is 1080p resolution. I have 4GB model. For 1080p streaming, it is working for me well. I use Jellyfin as a primary software on my fire stick but only problem is that for most files, jellyfin tries to transcode on server side and I feel RPi4 doesn't handle that well. Hence even though I use Jellyfin, I still use external app VLC player. The reason I went with Jellyfin is because it is completely free.
I have tried Kodi but still having server as jellyfin but the setup seems iffy so I don't use it. On mobile and iPad, I use Infuse app which connects to the jellyfin server and plays everything (I have sideloaded pro version).
I use Sonarr/Radarr for downloads with qbittorrent as the torrent client.

Last edited:
I don't think that you should go for Pi 4 in case you want 4k playback especially x265/HEVC where the transcoding will need to be handled by the Pi 4 in case the client doesn't support x265.

x264 playback itself is not very good for 4k 60fps videos on the Pi4.

Back