The Raspberry Pi Thread

Compressing a OS directory will always show weird shit like this.

1629488511349.png

As you can see the temp.zip which is from dietpi-backup is far larger in size.

The reasoning is that zip operation on a very large no. of small/already compressed OS files which are inherently not very compressible will lead to compression header metadata which may blow up the zip size.

Most compression algorithms use whats called a symbol table, basically just peices of the file it uses as elements it can compress. This, of course, creates some overhead in the file but usually results a much smaller file.

You see that the dietpi-backup folder has 88,784 files. If you want to backup the OS image to Windows drive as well I would suggest mounting the Windows drive on dietpi and running rsync.

1629488846174.png

In already compressed files or in case of a large no. of tiny files, it still creates a set of symbols, but there's very little that can be reduce the size on.

You might have to read up on file entropy if you are curious about more details on this.

@Marcus Fenix

I just want to regularly backup my DietPI installation and I have chosen location on my already connected external hdd to save the backup.
Now I could keep the backup there but last time when my external hdd itself became inaccessible, I lost everything in it so I am trying to make sure I copy entire folder of the dietpi-backup to my other external hdd for safe keeping.

@Marcus Fenix

I just want to regularly backup my DietPI installation and I have chosen location on my already connected external hdd to save the backup.
Now I could keep the backup there but last time when my external hdd itself became inaccessible, I lost everything in it so I am trying to make sure I copy entire folder of the dietpi-backup to my other external hdd for safe keeping.
#!/bin/bash

TIMESTAMP=$(date +"%Y%m%d_%H%M%S")
USB_PATH=/mnt/usb1 # @raksrules this is the path where dietpi-backup is saved by Pi.Change as per your drive name
TGT_PATH=/mnt/usb2 # @raksrules this is the seondary HDD path where you want to manually copy dietpi-backup.Change as per your drive name
# Sync dietpi-backup to a dated folder e.g. system_backup_20210711_031209 in secondary HDD
MAX_BACKUP_DAYS=30
G_USER_UNPUT=0
#Run dietpi-backup utility
G_INTERACTIVE=0 /boot/dietpi/dietpi-backup 1
#Copy the fresh dietpi-backup to seondary HDD path
rsync -r --progress "${USB_PATH}/dietpi-backup" "${TGT_PATH}/system_backup_${TIMESTAMP}"
#Delete any folders having names like system_backup_* older than 30 days
find ${TGT_PATH} -mindepth 1 -type d -name "system_backup_*" -mtime +${MAX_BACKUP_DAYS} | while read d;
do
echo "Deleting $d"
rm -Rf $d
done
#dietpi package updates
sudo -- sh -c 'apt-get update; apt-get upgrade -y; apt-get dist-upgrade -y; apt-get autoremove -y; apt-get autoclean -y'

Save this script as backup.sh. Change the USB_PATH and TGT_PATH variables and you are good to to. Run the script after attaching you secondary HDD and it will do all the things you need.

Copying the code here threw off the formatting a bit. It should look like this in the while loop.

Attachments

• 1629548804415.png
    1629548804415.png
    397.1 KB · Views: 113
Guys
I am using fireborg and developer dans blocklists on my pihole.
Seeing maximum blocked instances of web.facebook.com originating via my lg g8x.

The funny thing is I have already Uninstalled everything related to Facebook from my phone.
Did I miss something??

I feel so many of these queries originating from the phone also must be affecting the battery life.

Could it be related to whatsapp??

Last edited:
Is there a HAT available out there which would receive Optical signal and feed it to the Pi? (I found many that does reverse, Outputs digital signal.)

If yes, The signal can than be passed out via USB?

I'm thinking of getting a Raspberry Pi and planning to build a NAS out of it for storing and watching movies on TV. I don't want Pi to decode anything, my TV can handle it and Pi can just act as a storage server. I have few qns reg this and I hope someone here can answer me.

1. Where do you buy Pi in India (To be precise, TN-Chennai)? Any legit seller in India? Or any offline store? How about warranty claims?
2. Has anyone been using Pi for home NAS? Any bottlenecks/issues I should be aware of before building such NAS? Planning to use a SSD/HDD (haven't decided on which) as storage.
3. I can connect my Pi to my modem/router via LAN, but can't promise the same for TV due to it's location. But my TV supports 5Ghz wifi, so can I still play a movie of say 20-30Gb in size without buffering, using this setup?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'm thinking of getting a Raspberry Pi and planning to build a NAS out of it for storing and watching movies on TV.
-Depends a lot of the content that you are streaming. Rasberry PI can was not intended to run as a NAS though many folks use it. An old laptop/PC is ideal for streaming IMO.
If you have to use a PI, check out OMV. For starters, you can research a bit your self by reading some of the below links:

If you want to go overkill:

I received my raspberry pi 4 yesterday and curious to know if there is any guide to boot the os from ssd attached via orico usb enclosure. I don't want to use a SD card.

I'm thinking of getting a Raspberry Pi and planning to build a NAS out of it for storing and watching movies on TV. I don't want Pi to decode anything, my TV can handle it and Pi can just act as a storage server. I have few qns reg this and I hope someone here can answer me.

1. Where do you buy Pi in India (To be precise, TN-Chennai)? Any legit seller in India? Or any offline store? How about warranty claims?
2. Has anyone been using Pi for home NAS? Any bottlenecks/issues I should be aware of before building such NAS? Planning to use a SSD/HDD (haven't decided on which) as storage.
3. I can connect my Pi to my modem/router via LAN, but can't promise the same for TV due to it's location. But my TV supports 5Ghz wifi, so can I still play a movie of say 20-30Gb in size without buffering, using this setup?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
i used the pi3 as a home nas with its 10/100 nic and usb 2.0 atleast for 1080p streaming worked fine. This was wired and not on wifi. To buy the pi thingbits is the official resseler in india also factory forward. factory forward is cheaper than the former.

Has anyone run esxi on the pi 4 esxi 7 works on pi 4

I use RPI4 with an external WD 5TB External Hdd connected to the USB 3 Port and I have jellyfin installed for my local streaming needs. I don't do transcoding as Pi struggles with it.
If anyone has questions, feel free to answer.

I use RPI4 with an external WD 5TB External Hdd connected to the USB 3 Port and I have jellyfin installed for my local streaming needs. I don't do transcoding as Pi struggles with it.
If anyone has questions, feel free to answer.
You mean you don't allow Pi to decode right? That's pretty much my goal as well. Did u try to stream 4k or files of size 20Gb+ from a TV/mobile etc? Was there any buffering?

You mean you don't allow Pi to decode right? That's pretty much my goal as well. Did u try to stream 4k or files of size 20Gb+ from a TV/mobile etc? Was there any buffering?

Yes. In jellyfin there is user level setup to not allow any transcoding. 4K did not work for me. Not sure if it is due to my TV not being 4K or some other thing. I downloaded the 4K file only to check once. I usually download 1080p and that works fine. Even high bitrate ones.
I am not sure if my example is any helpful but I had "Designated Survivor" downloaded and one season was about 68GB (22 odd episodes).

My RPi4 is connected to my router using a LAN cable and I stream only over 5G network.

Yes. In jellyfin there is user level setup to not allow any transcoding
Thanks man. This is one of the thing I wanted to know.
I am not sure if my example is any helpful but I had "Designated Survivor" downloaded and one season was about 68GB (22 odd episodes).
Again, this roughly translates to 3GB per file right. I want to understand if 20GB file plays without buffer and what all would be the bottlenecks for it.

Thanks man. This is one of the thing I wanted to know.

Again, this roughly translates to 3GB per file right. I want to understand if 20GB file plays without buffer and what all would be the bottlenecks for it.

If you could PM me a specific torrent, I will download and check.

instead of using a new pi4 for 4.5k my suggestion is buy a old u/m based sff/tiny pc it gives more felixbility in terms of ram and has inbuilt hdd/ssd slots can be had for 1k more. run esxi on it and on esxi run multiple different os's. pi with all adapters,converters etc for hdd is expensive and limits you to specific things.

what is this

u/m based sff/tiny pc
i just want a cheap pc, which can run windows, linux etc

i already have a laptop, so i do most of the task on it

i want something that is small in size, less power, cheap and works with TV or any monitor

somthing like pi or any other SBC

any suggestion,,

what is this

u/m based sff/tiny pc

i want something that is small in size, less power, cheap and works with TV or any monitor

any suggestion,,
I think you are better off buying an Intel NUC kit although I couldn't find VFM options in Amazon/PrimeABGB. Seems like they are the victims of the chip shortage.

what is this

u/m based sff/tiny pc

any suggestion,,
buy a cheap nuc,mini pc and then put esxi on it. run as many os's as you want(wrt to hardware resource limitation).
I think you are better off buying an Intel NUC kit although I couldn't find VFM options in Amazon/PrimeABGB. Seems like they are the victims of the chip shortage.
corporate recyclers on olx have these for cheap.

buy a cheap nuc,mini pc and then put esxi on it. run as many os's as you want(wrt to hardware resource limitation).

corporate recyclers on olx have these for cheap.

Old is very very overpriced and many don't post config ... Mostly scammers and money grabbers... That is sad reality in india

Back