The Samsung Galaxy S thread

I have gadgetshieldz on my ipod as well. And hoenstly its good for back. But I wouldnt use it on screen. It does make screen look little different from angles. And you really do not want to spoil the way screen looks on your Super AMOLED screen.

I have used scratchgard branded screen protectors before, and they were perfect. I would grab that one + case or use scratchgard + gadgetsheldz on back + case as case is a must for this phone for protection alone.

I got my Vibrant, no contract for #370.. T-Mo said they will unlock it in few months if I pay my bills and shit, which I intend to do anyways. Great deal, and a brilliant phone. Don't know about the Galaxy S, but the build quality of the Vibrant ain't bad at all. Agreed, the back is plastic, but it looks awesome. It actually reminds me of the iPhone 3GS. :p

Swype is also amazing, and for me, the 4" screen is the perfect size. Now to root it! :D

Can't wait for Cyanogen to release their mod for the Vibrant.

Note : Those who were asking, go for the Vibrant instead of the Captivate. Captivate doesn't allow apps from elsewhere AFAIK.

can someone check and post the gps data from the galaxy S (using gps status or something similar). the vibrant has a lot of issues with gps, the gps never locks onto more than 1-2 satellites.

^^ Its well known problem with all Galaxy S phones.

Here is a partial workaround for GPS the issues.

[FIX] Updated: GPS Tracking Issues (Optional FIX) - xda-developers

Note that This doesn't solve the inherent issues and Samsung would still need to fix the GPS in via updates.

Superfrag said:
Don't know about the Galaxy S, but the build quality of the Vibrant ain't bad at all. Agreed, the back is plastic, but it looks awesome.

Vibrant is almost same as international Galaxy S. Main difference is the 2 additional capacitive buttons in place of the single non-capacitive home button on Galaxy S.

Superfrag said:
It actually reminds me of the iPhone 3GS. :p

One of those things I don't really like about this phone. :p

Guys, please PM/post here me the forums/sites you use for android help...like places where you can find mor einfo about rooting and stuff like that.

Does the Galaxy S have major issues with GPS in India? I haven't had the time to research it.

This will be a huge deal-breaker for me if its true. I use my mobilephone GPS all the time as a secondary support to my Satguide system in my car, so yeah, I can't live without it!

Why no posts after 6AUG? Strange...
BTW, I got my SGS on 10th of july. Simply Superb. Definitely not the perfect, but the best mobile that would have kept me satisfied.
And it's good to see a Galaxy S thread here at TE!
Will post more experience about my phone later. As of now, I'll just share some of my market apps [essential]
--> Launcherpro [Free] / But I have donated $5 and got LauncherPro Plus($2.99)
--> Me Contacts
--> Opera Mini
--> Handcent SMS
--> Yahoo messenger, but not Yahoo Mail (it doesn't update and it sucks!)
-->Brightness Widget (If you want to fiddle on with the brightness level always, but now I have settled on with Auto Brightness)
--> Asphalt 5 (Free on Samsung Apps store)
--> Advanced Task Killer
--> Astro File Manager
--> Screen Rotation Lock (If you want your phone to have locked orientation while sleeping)
--> Rare Black Wallpapers
--> Speedtest
Thats all for now. But I have installed around 50 apps (including some games)....

EDIT 1:And one more thing for extended battery life
Go to settings -> Wirelss & Networks -> Wifi Settings -> Uncheck 'Network Notification' (Cause in India, you won't find too many free wifi spots and its a waste of battery to scan for wifi spots)
Settings ->Wirelss & Networks ->Mobile Networks -> Use only 2g networks (until 2011 & if youa ren't a BSNL user)
Settings-> Location and security -> Uncheck Use wireless networks & Use GPS satellites (And check the 'Use wireless Networks' in case if you want to use MAPS, dont use GPS satellites as it has bugs.)
And Always keep black wallpapers (I love black, so its more than okay for me, but if you are into more colors, feel free to keep those wallpapers, after all, our SGS could very easily survive one day)
Try to avoid Live Wallpapers, if you aren't really into it (Again, if you really like that, please keep it.)
EIther Manually or Automatically, Use Advanced task killer and kill the applications you use seldom and black list the applications that you use often (so that it's in memory and pops up instantly).
EDIT 2: Just now ordered Gadgetshieldz. I guess it takes around 12-16 Business days! OMG! Means, by the end of this month. Hope my screen survives till that.
Btw, There are no visible scratches on the screen as of now (at least for the naked eyes) and it has survived 3 free falls [One from 40" height bit like thrown away on concrete (yes cemented), two just slipped from 20" height (one on hard surface and other on carpeted)]

Shripad said:
I have gadgetshieldz on my ipod as well. And hoenstly its good for back. But I wouldnt use it on screen. It does make screen look little different from angles. And you really do not want to spoil the way screen looks on your Super AMOLED screen.
I have used scratchgard branded screen protectors before, and they were perfect. I would grab that one + case or use scratchgard + gadgetsheldz on back + case as case is a must for this phone for protection alone.
Thanks for the info. (Hope this proves useful in the future ;) )..
By the way, can you please tell me where you obtain good cases? (Any particular site?)

I've got a question for all SGS users with prepaid connections. When u enter the USSD Code for currency check like *123# (airtel), *100# (vodafone) etc does it show USSD Code running and just return to the home screen? I updated the firmware to DDJG4. It was alright for a day and then it went back to the same problem.

Is anyone noticing a blue tint on the screen? The whites especially appear bluish...this is my second phone and both have the same problem!

White is slightly colder compared to LCD screen. This is true for all AMOLEDs. But there is no blue tint here.

Download dead pixel detect from market and check white on that. That appears proper white here.

Could anyone confirm what is in the box for Indian shipments of Galaxy S ?

Phone
Charger
Headset
USB cable
Memory card ??
Phone case ??
Screen wipe cloth ??

vortex_mak said:
Could anyone confirm what is in the box for Indian shipments of Galaxy S ?

Phone

Charger

Headset

USB cable

Memory card ??

Phone case ??

Screen wipe cloth ??

Phone

Charger

Headset

USB cable

Phone pouch (leather ?? I doubt it)

This is what was there inside the box.

The Samsung Vibrant for T-Mobile is not the only Galaxy S smartphone in the United States to have seen a major price cut only a several months after being officially released on the market, as the Samsung Captivate shares the same fate.

Samsung Captivate, the AT&T flavor of Galaxy S, is currently available for purchase from Amazon Wireless for only $0.01, just as Vibrant is priced at since last week.

Of course, the device still requires the signing of a two-year contract agreement with the wireless carrier to be available at this price, but it feature should seem appealing enough for users to give it a try

Source

:mad:

Hey guys, I just read a review of Samsung Galaxy S (I think the call it the Captivate there) on engadget and they criticize the phone for Android customization. Is that something unique for the US version of the phone or for all the phones (including India)?

Is that something that I should really be concerned about if I purchase this phone (cos, I am seriously tempted to do so). Till now, I was thinking of shooting the gun for HTC Desire, but considering the great stuff I have been reading about this, I am a bit confused. Care to help me out? :)

Back