The Samsung Galaxy S thread

So im thinking of buying a samsung Vibrant from the US via GEB and then unlocking it myself. Has anyone successfully done this ? A brand new Samsung vibrant is selling for about 20K on GEB... thats a savings of 8K compared to the Galaxy S in India. The only difference is that it doesnt have a front cam ..which is kinda useless anyways. Well..warranty is another issue..but im willing to take that risk.

Check out the deal below. In case u have a 10% max 1000 coupon ..then it becomes even cheaper.

Global Easy Buy

Global Easy Buy

Global Easy Buy

I doubt that with Froyo anybody on Galaxy S is going to get Linpack score that Nexus one gets. Hell, even IO performance will not be much improved.

I have Galaxy Tab that runs Froyo and scores that it gets in Linpack are around 14mflops (will confirm it tonight after a second run). Quadrant is only marginally better than Galaxy S running on Eclair, but I believe that's because of the larger screen as GPU scores are low on Tab. (Not confirmed yet).

But performance is mostly smooth... except in scrolling while web browsing. So on Galaxy S too, you can expect the same. I give out examples from Galaxy Tab because I believe similar Froyo build is going to be used on Galaxy S phone.

guys, am unable to open any vCard sent to the phone. it just says " Content Not Supported".

the same is the problem with my uncles Samsung B5722, is it common in all samsungs ?

^ Hey, how did you upgraded to Froyo? Samsung haven't yet updated the firmware files on their server. I need to upgrade my SGS to Froyo..

ok. i got my T-mobile vibrant today. its still running Eclair. Does anyone know if all versions of Eclair can be unlocked successfully by the Unlocker app ? My baseband version is : T959UVJFD , firmware version is : 2.1 - Update 1 , Kernel build : 2.6.29

I need to install 'Brut Google Maps' from XDA, but it comes in 3 Variants, first one is called 'default' and others are called 'renamed' and 'tagged' now if you install the default one it says, 'it will replace the original google maps' and So now I am confused between the other two for which one to install. Please head over to XDA and you will understand what I am talking about.

This Brut Google Maps, serves one purpose of Caching the google maps for offline use , So u don't need internet to use the GPS.

@ahd,
Install the tagged one. (Keeps the stock google maps and provides a way to distinguish between the two)

I finally got Samsung Galaxy S (1 month-used for Rs 22.5k ) :)

Immediately rooted (after checking that 3-button combo was working) and applied the OCLF. Works quite well. But, when using Astro, to install apps. (I downloaded a few GB's android app collection), it becomes very slow while scrolling in the apps collection folder. Any idea how to fix that?

I found the default music player(for now, haven't fully used it) to be quite uninteresting. (I prefer playing via folders, plus the music player detected lots of junk ringtones which I had copied to the player). Which music player (or music+video player,like Meridian) would you guys recommend? (There are so many ...Right now, have installed Rockplayer and mVideoPlayer)

The video player was quite good. But, couldn't find the mosaic feature. (found in Wave). Is it not available?

Regarding the SMS, I found the default app to be really good. I'd love to know why people use ChompSMS or Handcent?
Also,regarding the Brut Maps. I uninstalled the Google Maps (via Titanium Backup). But, still not able to install
the default Brut Maps.. Any ideas how to install it?

If there is anyone using Brut Maps for offline navigation,could you please let me know how to do that optimally using the Atlas Creator (the one Brut recommends) (in a space efficient manner, for eg. which all levels to take the tiles of etc?. For eg, an offline map to navigate all of Maharashtra at level 19 , I presume would run into tons of GB ??)

Also, is anyone using SetCPU (was it useful?) .

raymasky said:
ok. i got my T-mobile vibrant today. its still running Eclair. Does anyone know if all versions of Eclair can be unlocked successfully by the Unlocker app ? My baseband version is : T959UVJFD , firmware version is : 2.1 - Update 1 , Kernel build : 2.6.29
Should work fine under most, if not all, Eclair kernels! Good luck!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

@Hrithan: You should go for MobileMaps India (MapMyIndia) maps instead of Brut's maps! How well is your GPS working though?

Pat said:
Should work fine under most, if not all, Eclair kernels! Good luck!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

@Hrithan: You should go for MobileMaps India (MapMyIndia) maps instead of Brut's maps! How well is your GPS working though?
Is it free and can it be used Offline ?

i have non rooted phone will there be problem in installing brut maps

i have downloaded brut maps tagged one but how to install it in phone

can someone giv step by step guide

n wt is atlas creator n wt do do with it

Any of you running any custom roms on your Samsung Vibrant ? Which one is the best Froyo based ROM out there ? is it worth the jump from Eclair ?

For the Vibrant, I'm still on the Bionix Fusion 2.1 ROM. I would wait for Eugene and Bionix to improve their 2.2 ROM's w.r.t bugfixes and performance improvements before updating.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2.

Back