The Samsung Galaxy Spica i.e. I5700 thread

I have upgraded to 2.1. jcf. I am now facing really poor battery life. 15 hours to be precise. no gps, no wi fi and no extensive use of the screen. I am now pissed off. pantheon is not exactly razor fast. and it stalls repeatedly. I am now officially irritated. what next?

@Vikid

Can u post a pic with zagg installed?

Also can we remove the battery cover with the shield installed?

And are this shield easy to install?

Waiting for ur flashing guide. BTW m stuck at driver installation. Odin doesn't detect my fone

frankmehta said:
I have upgraded to 2.1. jcf. I am now facing really poor battery life. 15 hours to be precise. no gps, no wi fi and no extensive use of the screen. I am now pissed off. pantheon is not exactly razor fast. and it stalls repeatedly. I am now officially irritated. what next?

Uninstall pantheon and add home++ from the market...

Install a task killer app and make it a habit to disable all unnecessary apps running in the background

Disable "background data" & "auto sync"

If wifi is your only concern then enable "use only 2g networks"

Check the brightness slider setting as well....it should be anywhere from 0 to 6 slots from the extreme left, but not more

Add a "power control" widget and dial down the brightness to the lowest setting when running apps that do not require adequate amount of light....once this becomes a habit you can then increase the "screen timeout" delay

Disable all unnecessary vibration alerts and tactile feedback too

"Eclair" may taste bitter after these changes but battery life should in all probability improve

njankit said:
@Vikid
Can u post a pic with zagg installed?
Also can we remove the battery cover with the shield installed?
And are this shield easy to install?

Waiting for ur flashing guide. BTW m stuck at driver installation. Odin doesn't detect my fone

Details such as operating system, OS architecture, Samsung KIES version, device manager pics and Odin version will be helpful

sid_donnydarko said:
Details such as operating system, OS architecture, Samsung KIES version, device manager pics and Odin version will be helpful

M using XP 32 bit, NPS 1.5, Odin_v4_03 and trying to flash I570EXXJCF firmware.

bg2xko.jpg

I m trying to follow this guide. Sameer Prabhakar - Mad Ramblings: Samsung I5700 (Galaxy SPICA) Android 2.1 Flashing Guide (Updated)

But when i attach the phone in "Download Mode" to the PC, windows asks for the drivers (I point it to the drivers given in the guide) but still the phone remains unrecognized in download mode.

njankit said:

bg2xko.jpg

I m trying to follow this guide. Sameer Prabhakar - Mad Ramblings: Samsung I5700 (Galaxy SPICA) Android 2.1 Flashing Guide (Updated)

But when i attach the phone in "Download Mode" to the PC, windows asks for the drivers (I point it to the drivers given in the guide) but still the phone remains unrecognized in download mode.

Dude,

Basically you have to take care of a couple of things before you flash.

Firstly let NPS 1.5 install all the drivers...wen you connect the phone
Secondly before you start Odin 4.3 ... Ensure that NPS/Kies is not running in the background...Also Kill all versions from the Task Manager to be doubly sure.

Try a couple of times...It sometimes takes time..

njankit said:

bg2xko.jpg

Uninstall the current NPS on your system. And when i say uninstall, i mean wipe your active primary partition/registry sparklingly clean of it. You can use a third party app such as Revo Uninstaller Pro.

Download the latest one from here

These should work better than the older versions but you will encounter the same issues as before but to a lesser degree....if you then restart the PC and then try reconnecting in download mode

First ensure that "USB Debugging Mode" is ticked under settings in the phone's Android OS

Just to be on the safer side disable any antivirus/firewall programs runing in the background although i highly doubt if it would interfere in any way

Once Odin v4.03 detects your phone(indicated by the appearance of a "COM" port higlighted in yellow) start the procedure....remember to always start odin v4.03 with administrator priviledges by right-clicking on it and selecting the appropriate option

Upon connecting the phone in download mode to your pc, sometime the USB bus controller "Samsung Android USB Composite Device" will appear with a yellow exclamation....in this case again restart the pc and reconnect the phone in download mode again

Even after applying all the correct settings by following any guide right down to the very last word, you may find that green progress bar may get stuck in excess of 10 mins with the timer ticking away, or , the green bar never progresses right from the moment you hit "start"....if this happens then simply unplug your battery and then put the phone back into download mode after reseatting the battery

For these reasons alone, always have "device manager" running in the background and check it for any anomalous behaviour everytime you hook up your phone in download mode to the pc

Hmmm.... the driver part is the most tiresome one and involves plenty of rebooting...one slip and FAIL!

Ill post pics with the ZAGG soon...

If anyone is facing issues in installing livewallpapers...

You need to push it into the System/app directory manually...

Just installing it wont work....

(At least on the latest firmwares....)

ViKiD said:
If anyone is facing issues in installing livewallpapers...

You need to push it into the System/app directory manually...

Just installing it wont work....
(At least on the latest firmwares....)

Vikid,

Some more information and I might be over the moon
Can you link me to a guide on the net...that works ;)

The search for a good GPS application ends for me.I got Sygic Mobile working on my spica .I am using maps from MapMyIndia and it works like charm it uses GPS only and not WIFI /GPRS :clap::clap:.

I am going out for drive to give it a complete test .Hope the turn by turn navigation works perfectly.

PS : Sorry i can not post a guide here ,if any one wants it PM me.

I went for a drive today i was able to get GPS lock in less than a minutes but was loosing the lock in crowded areas.When i hit navigate to i am not able to search for a address in my city as my city is not shown in the search at all but i am able to search for places using POI and turn by turn navigation worked like charm.It was as good as using Garmin:eek:hyeah:.

I am not able to search for a address in my city all i get it different cites all over the country i guess i am doing something wrong if some one know how to search for a address in a particular city please point me how to do the same.

PS : I will try updating the maps to the latest one.Please do not ask me to post a guide here .I cannot do that but you can get the same through the PM way :)

Back