The Samsung Galaxy Spica i.e. I5700 thread

Abhijith i don't think so its available for 11.5K in ebay.All the dealers in ebay have the phone in the price range of 13.2~13.5K.Using the ICICI coupon code u will get it for 12.5K which is the street price.

I am also looking for swype ,the last time i installed it i got an error message saying this resolution is not supported

Yup, it's available for 12.5k here in Pune too. But Maharashtra has a higher VAT applicable on mobiles so you may get it cheaper in other states. But 11.5k sounds a bit too less. :)

Metalspree said:
Abhijith i don't think so its available for 11.5K in ebay.All the dealers in ebay have the phone in the price range of 13.2~13.5K.Using the ICICI coupon code u will get it for 12.5K which is the street price.

Yes, When I bought the phone it was 12.5k with coupon it was 11.5k. But now it seems like all them have increased their prices on eBay.

I bought it from a seller from Chennai, sun_2009 or something similar.

Update: Even frankmehta bought it on eBay for 11.5

i see a lot of ppl complaining that swype does not install on the Spica. I've used swype on the G1 and to me its only good if you type out realy long words . For small monosyllabic words ..the process becomes rather counter intutive. Thats why i switched to Better keyboard and Smart keyboard pro. IMHO..they are the two best 3rd party keyboards for Android.

Is it viable to buy the Spica from Bangkok.My bro is going there for a holiday and was thinking about asking him to buy it for me.IS the price lesser, synonymous to Singapore?

I installed Smart keyboard pro but even after enabling it in the Setting I was still getting the stock keyboard when I tried to text, do I need to disable anything to use this one?

Also I got a warning saying this app would have access to all ur passwords & PIN's etc., are u guys comfortable using this app?

AbhijithS said:
I installed Smart keyboard pro but even after enabling it in the Setting I was still getting the stock keyboard when I tried to text, do I need to disable anything to use this one?

Also I got a warning saying this app would have access to all ur passwords & PIN's etc., are u guys comfortable using this app?

Go to your messages. Long press on a text area and select input method. Select your keyboard and you're good to go.

AbhijithS said:

go to settings - > language and keyboard -> check smart keyboard pro.

then open up any app and bring up the keyboard. Long press on it. you will get an option called "input method". click on that and select the keyboard you want.

Update From Samsung Tech Dept -> The official update to Android 2.1 (eclair) is currently under testing & probably will be released in a month time for official upgrade directly from Samsung Service Center.

Any different story that you guys hear about the upgrade/update??

raymasky said:
hey guys... looks like the official 2.1 update is out for singapore . Can anyone confirm if it works for Indian handsets ? :)

Phone Firmware Update Support - Samsung Mobile

Hi,

A bit of good news. The official 2.1 update is available now in India through Samsung Service Centers. I was to get it on my Spica today but the Samsung engineer wasn't available at the center. Will get it tomorrow and post my observations.

Cheers!

Wow. I've been waiting for an official update for so long. Any confirmed news about this guys?

Will it be difficult to update to the official 2.1 firmware if you are using the hacked 2.1 firmware? I am asking this because I will be trading my Nokia E72 in for a Spica and want to know whether it's prudent to wait for the official release or should I go ahead with the hack.

cybertragic said:
Wow. I've been waiting for an official update for so long. Any confirmed news about this guys?

Will it be difficult to update to the official 2.1 firmware if you are using the hacked 2.1 firmware? I am asking this because I will be trading my Nokia E72 in for a Spica and want to know whether it's prudent to wait for the official release or should I go ahead with the hack.

Hi,

As per Samsung Customer Care, the update is now officially available. One needs to visit a Samsung mobile Service Center (with original bill) for getting it. Please do call up once before going to ensure that the software engineer is available at the center to do the update for you. I had a tough time yesterday and couldn't get mine updated. Will probably get it done this weekend.

Cheers!

geeky_78 said:
Update From Samsung Tech Dept -> The official update to Android 2.1 (eclair) is currently under testing & probably will be released in a month time for official upgrade directly from Samsung Service Center.

Any different story that you guys hear about the upgrade/update??

So we're supposed to bring our phones to the Samsung Service Centre to get the update?!?! Can't we just do it online?

m.a. said:
So we're supposed to bring our phones to the Samsung Service Centre to get the update?!?! Can't we just do it online?

You get a build that is supposedly tested in India & some bug fixing (hope) before they release it. Unless the case.. you r right about the fact that we may do it on our own

Back