The Samsung Google Galaxy Nexus Thread.

guys i want to completely format my nexus and install a new rom.

How do i do so? have heard Odin does it, but dont know how to use it and also any suggestions regarding the same would be appreciated!

PS: Planning to go in for the Sammy Rom, any suggestions which is good. have been using PA all this time, so anything apart from this and also the best kernel to go with it. Something that gives performance and battery. :)

The only thing that is holding me from getting this is it doesnt have FM radio :( And that is most important thing for me while I'm in office :p

There was a time when I refused to buy phone if it did not have FM radio. Many people load music on phones but I still like to listen to FM radio and with 6-10 radio stations in Mumbai and Pune, you never have dearth of stations.
But today I am ok with a phone without FM as I carry my Sansa clip+ to listen to FM radio.

Was your device rooted? takju or yakju?

I am still waiting for my Andro sweet ,but no luck btw mine is a Yakju build :yawn:

Mine is yakju and rooted, but sadly the update didn't go through because it needs a stock Rom and locked bootloader like a stock phone.

- - - Updated - - -

Guys try doing this, settings-apps-all-Google service framework- here clear data, hit confirm-force stop - go to about phone and check for updates now. The previous checked date should be in some month in the 1970.

I am waiting till my favorite ROM Xenon HD rebases his code with 4.2 update

But initial impressions are not that great. The much talked about quick toggles in the notification list are just shortcuts to their respective setting menu. Only Airplane mode is a real toggle
And many of them are reporting the lockscreen has been messed up. There is some issue with camera rotation. Recent app menu lags(i used to have some lag on 4.1.2 aswell). But looks like now it is even bad. Also there is a lag when screen is switched off.

I suspect people with the lag issues are the ones who were too lazy to do a clean flash! I've not had any issues at all. There was initially a bit of lag, but I guess that's what you get when you're installing over 50 APKs one after the other! Nearly a day now, and I'm pretty pleased with the speed and responsiveness. Of course, I didn't stay with the stock kernel for long. The colors sucked too much!

You're right about the "toggles" being a disappointment! The layout is pretty neat, but the fact that they're actually more shortcuts than toggles is a big letdown. Also, there's no GPS "toggle"!

The lockscreen widgets haven't left me very impressed. Looks like some half-baked attempt at lockscreen widgets. Could've been done on purpose so there's some "new features" for the next Android update, or maybe just a rushed job! Either way, they might as well have not put it in there. I guess it's back to Widget Locker for me!

I'm not really seeing any lag on the recent apps list or when the screen is switched off. And the camera thing is that when the orientation is changed from portrait to landscape or vice versa, the buttons also rotate, which is really not necessary because they end up in the same place anyway! Not a big deal for me, since auto-rotation is something I usually leave off! In fact, it shouldn't be a big deal at all!

Wifi and the phone signal seems to have improved quite a bit over 4.1.2, that's for sure. I get much better range in the same place than I did when I was on 4.1.2, so I'd upgrade for that alone! And I'm sure that once the custom ROMs start coming out, things will only improve from here on.

The update for takju model versions is released yesterday so it's not far away from yakju i guess if we follow the recent 4.1.2 update schedule , i think we should get the OTA update in next couple of days.

Had been to Alpha today to buy the nexus. The dude said that we are out of stock and told me to come in 2-3 days. Forgot to ask the price and their contact number. Can anyone pm me with their contact number?

Looks like it will take some more time to get the Custom ROMs based on 4.2 change.

So updated my Gnex to stock 4.2. Miss a lot of Custom ROM features. But for now 4.2 is a decent change
I did a clean install. No speed improvement. Its as smooth as 4.1.2. Not better.. not worse. I think people complaining about lags have to do a clean install.

I prefer the old lockscreen. I don't understand why Google is trying to add homescreen features to lockscreen. Why add all these bloat. Anyway new msg, mail will be in notification. The world clock in lockscreen is pretty good feature. But it needs to be much quicker. There is some lag before the time for different cities appear.

Quick settings are a good feature. I just wish they were toggles. I guess we will have Custom ROMs with toggle feature.

New Camera and gallery are nice. The new settings menu in camera is easy to use. Photo Sphere has to improve a lot. The photo stitching is quite bad.

Wifi is so much better now. Signal doesn't drop randomly and the range is improved aswell. Was waiting for this change since i got my Gnex.

Keypad swipe works well. But i still prefer Swiftkey.

Overall it looks like a rushed attempt, but there are some new changes which is not perfect. Now we have to rely on the devs in xda to improve these features.

I am waiting till my favorite ROM Xenon HD rebases his code with 4.2 update

But initial impressions are not that great. The much talked about quick toggles in the notification list are just shortcuts to their respective setting menu. Only Airplane mode is a real toggle
And many of them are reporting the lockscreen has been messed up. There is some issue with camera rotation. Recent app menu lags(i used to have some lag on 4.1.2 aswell). But looks like now it is even bad. Also there is a lag when screen is switched off.
I can confirm the lag when the phone goes to sleep. It's looks more like a delayed response to the power button than lag. Battery life seems to have been improved.

I'm using this ROM
[ROM][16 Nov 2012] AOSP 4.2 JOP40C KALO Galaxy Nexus GSM/HSPA+ - xda-developers

with this kernel
[KERNEL][GPL][11 OCT - Milestone 6][r196-ICS r300-JB] franco.Kernel | 4.0/4.1 | - Page 3272 - xda-developers

and this QuickSettings mod
[MOD] [UPDATED 11/18]Android 4.2 Quick Settings & Lockscreen Widgets Mods - xda-developers

Everything is running as smooth as butter! Got PGM running so I can swipe to unlock the phone and using TricksterMOD to change the colors from the yellow-stained Google defaults to something bearable! Can't really complain! Except that the flashaholic in me has nothing to do now! There's a few 4.2 ROMs already out and quite a few already on the way. But yeah, most of the lag and other issues are most likely because of dirty flashing.

Hi Guys,

Just got a call from eBay. They stated that I get it repaired or ask Serv Pro for Replacement. Explained them clearly what was the case and why Serv Pro won't replace the phone they hang up stating they would contact the seller. Would threaten the Seller today and see what happens.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's see how long my bad luck keeps me hurt! :)

Well after a stressful 1 Month of fighting it out with eBay, they have rejected the claim and have gone ahead with the power seller and supported him. Till date what I have done is tried one last resort of Flashing my Gnex with Official Takju 4.2 Factory Image just to see if my luck works but no the phone won't charge. I can do everything with the phone but no charging! :( Plus my hectic schedule keeps me away from going to Intarvo Solutions, Nehru Place who can fix this under Serv Pro warranty! So now I am left with two options:

1) I keep the phone and once I get free I can visit the centre some day which is not possible in 2012 at least. I have bought a charger that was suggested where in battery is removed from phone and plugged into the charger.
2) I can sell it to some one who has time and can get it repaired for free from Nehru Place Centre.

Please pour in your suggestions and if some one interested PM me for the phone. I don't know whether I can post it for sale in Market Section but if someone's interested do let me know!
Have given a negative feedback to the seller but he is least bothered!

Back