The Stock Market Thread

Like I said Last Week....Wait for the 7500 levels :) .......but then today I heard the 7500 level is dropped further to 6800......:)

3 years of locking will see "atleast" doubling of the invested money if you can get hold of the correct scripts........

medpal said:
yesterday i got hold of

TATA CHEMICALS
PETRONET
SESA GOA
this was in the morning when market was in red.

when i rejoined in afternoon saw about 10% profit in every script and i booked immediately intraday.

i got handsome returns :clap:

now those scripting nearing again the my intended prices. :p :D

out of those 10%....the government will eat 30% :rofl: but nevertheless if u had "bulk" your still sitting on something :hap2:

Its all panic selling but if you see fundamentals then this bear phase is not that bad... Its an opportunity to get into Blue Chip stocks with attractive valuations. Many blue chips are now trading on discount. One should stick to these stocks only in such turbulent time provided valuations are good with good business outlook for next 2-3 years..

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity 'coz of continued bear phase which is going for a very long time giving numerous times for INVESTORS to get good stocks.

Do not buy anything without going through the fundamentals first & you will definately make good money in coming years..... So start saving for investing but not for trading... ;)

Hmm the big question is how long is this downturn, the way I see it no point investing in equities for atleast a yr. Stick with FD and then invest later on...

Point being fundamentals and all being intact, who is going to buy the shares ? the big guys have their load of troubles, they are just liquidating all assets they have. Its gonna get worse with Mutual funds redemption increasing etc...

markets are in the biggest mayhem and still fears are such that worse is yet to come.

people now started to say wait, and then buy after the market stabilises. :p

@hanzy : it was a bulk purchase and sale trade and got some sweet moeny :p

@ god of War : Unitech is feared to default in payment to authorities for its land deals. It requires 20000 crores for commitments in upcoming 24 months thats the biggest worry which put it down. (It made high of 545 on 2/1/08) :S

Gold and crude are crashing too, but falling rupee is taking away all the gains from it.

The world wide economic crisis has led to a stock market meltdown with investors left in anguish and disbelief. The reactions from various stock exchanges are captured in the photos below.

Frankfurt

4pz68i.jpg

United States

4jrukm.jpg

Paris

29f718p.jpg

United Kingdom

2mpzkn5.jpg

Tokyo

5fqidt.jpg

India

33aq5v4.jpg

Gloom and Despair all over the world amid falling stock prices and wealth erosion

....... oops........

Everywhere except

pakistan

2qaiwqr.jpg

:rofl: :rofl:

We were having a talk in office today....and let me put it here too......
and be sure that its true....those who can understand please do :) ....my PC upgrade + New Cellphone + New laptop + New Bike / Cage buying saga "ALL" on hold....all because of "1" reason I can buy "BETTER" later......so......understand........

The BSE should have a banner put up in BOLD........

" MEGA DISCOUNTS , MINIMUM 50% FLAT OFF on EVERTHING !!!
*Hurry Stocks Limited, Offer Limited for a short time only"

-If you dont have a demat account , get one and get in.
Blue-chips at its best and as rightly said mostly all blue chips are running at 52 week lows......dont just buy any blue chip.....buy the "best" which fits your pocket for a "bulk" deal....

For eg. Say you can buy 1000 Shares of Company 'X' BUT for the same amount you can buy 2000 shares of Company 'Y' - Get that.

Similarly divert the buying into multiple scripts...dont be stuck only one single particular one......

Keep an eye on these please.....( *ahem* *ahem*)

-Teledata
-Ispat Industries
-Powergrid

Ispat isnt a bad stock , its just falling like crazy and mayhem sale in Teledata as well......Buy these in bulk if you can........imagine , with such stocks moving up even by "1/2Rs." your profit rolls in 'x' times the bulk.

Pls. dont miss out on these opportunity. These are easy levels to get in. The downfall cant be more drastic from here and how low does it get from here anyways......consider it locked up in a long term Bank FD.

I'm not going to repent missing to board this train, and I hope nobody else does.

Its not going to be an overnight pocket filling business , but surely more than any FD's / Mutual Funds and other deals can get you.

Overall, This reminds me a very famous sentence......
'To make money in the stock market , you first of all NEED money!'

6pack said:
^^ yeah that sentence is true.
trouble is that money disappears when you need it most.

But this time you have continued opportunity which will be available for at least 1-1.5 years... the markets are not going north for another 12-18 months so people can always get in. Only thing to remember is to invest in small quantities in Blue Chip index shares & try to sit on your cash as much as you can, accumulating it in coming months. Don't take positions in huge nos. but in smaller lots. With today's online trading one can even buy only one share of any company.

Smaller lots let you average the price & curtail losses... If fundamentals & business outlook of the company is good then in the next bull market one can reap good rewards. Imagine what will be the market like after 5 years...

That's why its a once in a lifetime opportunity. So people start saving some cash & put on hold that upgrade to reap rewards later... :p

Gawd...I got into stocks last year at this time,,,when it was all glittery and shining....I did luckily invest mostly thro IPO's eventho I have lost, but not that much.

Now my question to u experienced traders out there...is this the time to invest some more??!....or should we hold on??? I simply cant understand, I can stay long term no issues at all.

PS-@hanzy's picks I did buy ISPAT(i was out so told my frd to trade for me..I wanna to buy 500 shares..he placed the order twice and it bot 900!!), at a wild price, thats the stock thats really hurting, but a very good buy at current levels!

Teledata i really dont recommend, Powergrid solid choice

Jasku said:
Gawd...I got into stocks last year at this time,,,when it was all glittery and shining....I did luckily invest mostly thro IPO's eventho I have lost, but not that much.

Now my question to u experienced traders out there...is this the time to invest some more??!....or should we hold on??? I simply cant understand, I can stay long term no issues at all.

PS-@hanzy's picks I did buy ISPAT(i was out so told my frd to trade for me..I wanna to buy 500 shares..he placed the order twice and it bot 900!!), at a wild price, thats the stock thats really hurting, but a very good buy at current levels!

Teledata i really dont recommend, Powergrid solid choice
Invest in small lots in Blue chip stocks which are in index. A market lot of 20-25 shares would do but make sure you should be buying only on dips..... Since you are already invested then it will help you in averaging your stock price...

But for the time being only good blue chip stocks should be considered... forget mid caps except a few maybe which have attractive valuations & will eventually reap good benefits... Keep an eye on their performance/ recommendations & business outlook for next 2-3 years perspective for an informed decision...

Stocks like Ispat, Nagarjuna & Chambal fertilizers are mainly trading stocks.

I would like to avoid them, but the truth is they are cyclicals too and would go up the first (and by big margins) if (and when) the market starts going up. My advice, Avoid ispat,nagarjuna/chambal and other trading stocks like ifci/teledata/lml as of now as there is clearly more pain left in them.

And why do you guys buy "stocks"? I like to buy "Companies" as in I like to invest in the company after looking at its balance sheet/order book etc rather than just buying the stock without knowing abt the company. My picks (these are mid-cap stocks and WILL take more time to go up compared to large cap stocks) would be bartronics (500 cr oder book, monopoly in india), ICSA (Too good management, good order book, almost 100% YoY growth) and Sintex (Total monopoly in water tank manufacturer, ever heard any other "Quality" water tank manufacturer company in India?lol @_@).

Darthcoder said:
Stocks like Ispat, Nagarjuna & Chambal fertilizers are mainly trading stocks.
I would like to avoid them, but the truth is they are cyclicals too and would go up the first (and by big margins) if (and when) the market starts going up. My advice, Avoid ispat,nagarjuna/chambal and other trading stocks like ifci/teledata/lml as of now as there is clearly more pain left in them.

And why do you guys buy "stocks"? I like to buy "Companies" as in I like to invest in the company after looking at its balance sheet/order book etc rather than just buying the stock without knowing abt the company. My picks (these are mid-cap stocks and WILL take more time to go up compared to large cap stocks) would be bartronics (500 cr oder book, monopoly in india), ICSA (Too good management, good order book, almost 100% YoY growth) and Sintex (Total monopoly in water tank manufacturer, ever heard any other "Quality" water tank manufacturer company in India?lol @_@).

True, these stocks should be cautiously looked into especially in a bear market 'coz they are the one which take the most beatings & primarily responsible for money erosion... In a bull market they are the bread & butter of most day traders.... So one should avoid them mostly....

Bartronics is indeed a stock in my watch list with good potential.. In the mid cap space it can give good returns.

Another one I am watching is Mercator Lines... Some would say its also cyclical but if you see the future business outlook, past performance & growth then its available at attractive valuations... A worthy stock for long term & accumulation.... :)

Panic on Monday morning ...:fear:

already down 600 points within an hour:(

The rupee is likely to depriciate to 53-54 per dollar in the next 5-6 months

I am a noob at this subject... but I wanna get started.. I have been reading about it lately..

I have a mutual fund, but wanna go for stocks... ie for long term (3-5 years)

I got a HDFC savings a/c, applied for Demat a/c same bank. What else do I need.

Do I require a/c with some trading company? like Sharekhan, IndiaBulls etc? If so, which one of them charges least commission and has fastest order/trigger execution times?

rock_ya_baby said:
I am a noob at this subject... but I wanna get started.. I have been reading about it lately..

I have a mutual fund, but wanna go for stocks... ie for long term (3-5 years)

I got a HDFC savings a/c, applied for Demat a/c same bank. What else do I need.

Do I require a/c with some trading company? like Sharekhan, IndiaBulls etc? If so, which one of them charges least commission and has fastest order/trigger execution times?
No that is not required. only Demat account is required from which you will be able to buy online.

Just an advise to you as you are beginner,
1. Never invest full money even if you are investing/creating a diversified portfolio. Invest small amounts
2. Avoid Intraday trading.
3. Stay Away from Penny Stocks

Article explaining Present market condition

source::dna newspaper...money

Subprime's bad? Deflation will be worse

A deflationary spiral could ultimately propel economies into recession

"This guy's saying inflation isn't such a bad thing. Of all things, inflation! How can inflation be good?" she was saying.

I could barely open my eyes after a Sunday afternoon siesta.

"How did you get in?"

"That's not important. Answer my question first."

"Okay, okay, don't start pushing me around. See, there is a lot of uncertainty across the world today. Companies are slashing jobs, leaving workers in the lurch all of a sudden. People in the US and parts of Western Europe have some form of social security in the form of unemployment allowances, though it cannot quite compensate for a full salary. But workers elsewhere don't even have this support. Naturally, in times of uncertainty such as this, people in much of the world tend to be cautious with their money."

"But what has that got to do with inflation?"

"A good lot, you'll see. Those who lose their jobs will obviously be hurt directly, but others would also be more careful while spending money for fear their job may be on the line, too. And when many people cut spending like that, it slows down consumption. Lower consumption means lesser business for companies and professionals, which in turn means lower profits. And when that happens, businesses are forced to cut prices to maintain revenue growth. This may lead to a spurt in demand initially. But as more people lose their jobs and more uncertainty comes in, spending falls further and companies are forced to cut prices of their products and services even more. This phenomenon of prices coming down is referred to as deflation."

"Deflation?" she repeated.

"Yes, deflation. When consumers know that prices are falling and are likely to continue to fall, they have an incentive to delay their purchases. You know, why buy something now when you know it will cost much less sometime later? This is known as a deflationary spiral, where prices continue to fall, leading to progressively lesser revenues and profits for companies," I said.

"And how does that explain the situation in the US where everybody has borrowed big time?"

"Good question. The unemployment rate in the US in October was around 6.5%, up from 4.8% a year ago. This increased unemployment is adding to the deflationary spiral there. More than unemployment, it is the fear of unemployment at work. But there's another factor at work here. See, most of the consumption in the US was financed through loans. People first bought a house on loan. And since everybody was buying houses, the price of property went up. Now, if you bought a house for $200,000 and over a period the price went up to $250,000, you could even borrow against the increased value of $50,000, also known as home equity. This home equity loan was used to buy stuff. As the price of the houses kept rising, more home equity loans were taken and more stuff was bought. So, people kept financing their consumption through more and more home equity loans. Now that home prices have crashed, there is no more home equity loans are available. Also the financial system is in a mess and banks are not willing to give out such loans."

"So, Americans have run out of money they could splurge."

"By and large. Today, the debt-to-disposable income ratio is at 140%, up from 100% in 2000. Also, they now realise that all those loans have to be repaid. So where is the money to buy things? Companies have had to cut prices to make their products more attractive. But that hasn't helped because many are just not in a position to borrow, while those who have money are waiting for prices to fall further. The resultant deflationary spiral means companies make lesser revenues and profits as people buy lesser goods and services. Adding to the problems is the erosion in the stock market wealth of Americans, which has fallen by a little over 40% since the start of this year. When the stock market is doing well, the positive wealth effect is at work — investors feel richer and that leads to them spend more. When the stock market falls, the effect is the exact opposite. This has led to a recession in the US, Western Europe and Japan."

"Now, how do you define recession?"

"An economy is said to be in a recession if its gross domestic product (GDP) contracts for two or more consecutive quarters. GDP is the value of goods and services produced in the economy during a particular period."

"Is there any other reason for companies cutting prices?"

"Yes. The dollar has appreciated against most other currencies. US financial institutions had invested in stock markets all across the world. As the stock markets fell, these institutions exited these markets. And when they exited these markets they got paid in the local currencies, which had to be converted into US dollars before being repatriated back to the US. Due to this, demand for dollars went up and it appreciated against almost every major currency. This made imported goods cheaper for Americans, but forced American companies to offer lower prices, adding to the deflationary spiral."

"So, a little bit of inflation is good, isn't it? At least people won't defer consumption if they know the prices will rise in the days to come," she said.

"Yes. But the American situation is a little different. Going by economist Nouriel Roubini, who correctly predicted the current financial crisis, the US consumer is "shopped-out, having spent for the last few years well above its means."

"Can't the government do anything to revive consumption?"

"Oh, it needs to remember the famous British economist John Maynard Keynes."

"Keynes? How does he fit in here?"

"Years back, Keynes had suggested that in a recession, "The government should pay people to dig holes in the ground and then fill them up." Some said, "That's stupid, why not pay people to build roads and schools?" Keynes said "Fine, pay them to build schools. The point is it doesn't matter what they do as long as the government is creating jobs." His idea was that the government should intervene when a recession looms and give the economy a fiscal stimulus. You know, print or borrow money, which can be spent on things like creating infrastructure, social reforms etc. Money spent is likely to create jobs which end up as increased income in the hands of some and these people are likely to go out there and spend it. In fact, most American economists are now talking about Barack Obama legislating a fiscal stimulus package as and when he takes over as the US President."

"Will this fiscal stimulus work?"

"We can only wait and watch. But first tell me, how did you get in?"

"Oh, simple, the door was open."

(The example is hypothetical)

k_vivek [@] dnaindia.net

Back