The Windows Phone 7 thread

waahooo, but i'll have to wait til this weekend to get it :D

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

hellgate said:
i do have my sources in MS ;)
Yea, same sources who leak stuff on the Net :p Like I said... CHEATERS! heh

I also got my Omnia 7 today....when i synced with gmail contacts, only one number of a contact is being synced.Any workaround for this?

Thanx in advance....also, plz lemme know some good free apps for the baby :)

Hmmm, I seem to remember the same problem, though cant remember if it was on WP7 or elsewhere.... tried exporting your contacts in gmail to vcard format and email it to yourself then import them on the phone?

Also gmail vcard export format has some funny characters, search online for a solution/workaround to remove those to make the vcard import smooth enough.

Funny how thinks work out. I really can't be for W7 because of the multi-tasking, mass storage, document sharing and apps issues but when a friend came up asking for a totally lag free phone (coming from Nokia/ SE smartphones), I had to recommend a W7 phone :p! As of right now, I've yet to see a smoother UI than the W7 and iOS. Now if the market place is fixed... Btw, my friend got the HTC Mozart. Cute little thing :).

Seeing the new noDo which is the predecessor of the mango release i am interested in knowing how strong has been wp7 market place and 3rd party in comparison to android?
Worthy of a switch from android to wp7 ?

sahib said:
Seeing the new noDo which is the predecessor of the mango release i am interested in knowing how strong has been wp7 market place and 3rd party in comparison to android?

Worthy of a switch from android to wp7 ?
Not yet, IMO. I would wait for Mango. Multitasking is sorely needed, and the 3rd party apps don't have great performance. The UI is definitely there, but lack of any sort of background services is a deal breaker for me.

NoDo update improves upon launch times, but the in app performance still needs improvement. The erratic and jerky behavior when scrolling up or down hampers the ease of usage.

Especially when you're used to Android's multitasking, widgets and the amount of background services to push data to you, WP7 needs improvement. My first week with WP7 was awesome, but afterwards the frustrations started.. then after 3 weeks or so, I went back to the Nexus S.

@Superfrag

It really takes courage to admit that one is dissatisfied with one's gadget after spending a hefty amount on it. And you have done it.

I have been reading Windows Phone 7 news / reviews ever since its announcement and always found that it lacks several key features that other mobile OS routinely have. I always wondered why would anyone choose a Windows Phone 7 considering all its limitations. No matter how pretty its UI is!

I bought a Android 3 months back and am very satisfied with it.

A mobile-review.com review of Windows Phone 7 is here: Mobile-review.com Windows Phone 7

Extract from its conclusion:

Well, I think you get the picture – an OS without multitasking is hardly a good choice for those who want to adjust the system to his taste. The corollary is – Windows Phone 7 is a system for calls, for people who need a simple phone.

I mean really, after spending Rs. 25k + for a Windows Phone 7, this is what you get?

A simple thing like copy/paste which should have been in the OS from start is now pushed through the NoDo update and people are acting like its manna from heaven. Wow!

paraman said:
A simple thing like copy/paste which should have been in the OS from start is now pushed through the NoDo update and people are acting like its manna from heaven. Wow!

Seriously, you don't like improvements? Anyways, I think people are more excited about the potential of W7 than what it is now. Played around with a Desire HD for a week and though I liked it, I think there's scope for improvement primarily in the background task management and some UI changes in the menu. There's another Samsung Android phone in the house but specs are too lousy to even mention it here (Android runs shitty on that, went thru half(?) the Angry Birds game to find a level which is unplayable on the phone's hardware specs). Android is good, but am I satisfied with it? Not by a long shot. Plus, anyone used to the smooth UI of an iPhone/ W7 is gonna be disappointed with the lag in an unmanaged Android phone (the HD after all is one of the most powerful Android phones). Not so with the smart phone features, though. As of now, Android rules (iPhone users might throw some statistics about the number of apps they have access to here :p).

But what is the market for smart phones like in the truest sense? 90% of Android users and 100% of iPhone users that I know use it for the games and multimedia. Ditto for the vast number of Nokia smart phone users. For them, W7 is a very viable alternative.

The W7 is definitely much more than a simple phone. The UI is not as much as pretty as well laid out and smooth to use.The social networking integration, e-mail, office applications and multimedia features are quite good. It's not ready for prime time smart phone glory but it definitely is reaching there. Good for the average techie to have multiple options. One of the reasons Android was welcomed so heartily.

P.S. Regarding courage in being disappointed in a gadget, this is a tech site. It's second nature for most of us to want more :). What we don't do is diss other peoples tastes/ likes/ preferences with a sarcastic comment without even actually having first hand experience about the topic/ subject in question. Reviews are good but a user experience cannot be described, it is to be experienced. I should know, I hated the iPhone until I had one in my hands for a week or so. I'm definitely going for an Android myself for now, but I really think MS has a good thing going. More power to manna from heaven, sorry, updates and improvements from MS and the people who appreciate continuous improvement!

I would have to disagree with superfrag... I already like my HD7 with its 1.0 initial WP7 release :D

With NoDo it should fix most of the RARE issues and Mango will TAKE OVER THE FREAKING WORLD!!! hahaha

Hehe, everyone's mileage varies! For me, I hate the fact that there are virtually no 3rd party background services implemented, and the People integration feels half done. I'm a heavy Twitter user, and the fact that WP7 does not allow any app to poll for data in the background is a huge deal-breaker.

Also, like I mentioned, my biggest issue is to do with the sub-par performance of 3rd party apps as well as lack of multitasking. (launch any Twitter app or any app in which you have to scroll up and down to consume data/media, and see how jerky the scrolling is. Compare it to the stock apps, massive difference) I really do hope the Twitter integration in Mango is done well.

My only issue with MS is that they rushed through WP7. Most things that they will offer through updates should ideally have been present from the start. And if they were not then they should have delayed its release.

A pretty and lag-free UI can satisfy you only so much. Multitasking, huge number of apps, etc matter more in the long run. Just go through the list of cons of WP7 on gsmarena.com. If I am spending 25k to 26k on a phone and I have to choose between an OS which has almost everything (Android) and another which is half-baked and whose features will get updated through future updates, my choice is clear!

Even neowin which is a pro MS / Windows site has published the following article on WP7: Neowin.net - Windows Phone 7: Why it's failing.

That said, I wish WP7 improves coz it will keep Android on its toes! Competition between developers / manufactures will ultimately benefit us.. the end users. So all the best to MS!

Back