The Windows Phone 7 thread

Guys, how do i change my network mode from GSM to WCDMA on a Samsung Focus? I need to change it to WCDMA to get the 3g signal for vodafone...

Or if somebody has managed to activate Vodafone 3G in bangalore, can you please share your settings...

soumalidon said:
There is a way to force the Mango update officially (i.e through Zune), currently updating my Dell Venue Pro :)

Force Mango update early through Zune software and avoid frostbite | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

I installed mango with that force trick and now I'm facing lots of problems with IE9. It shows page cannot be displayed error every time i open new website. I have to refresh it twice in order to make it work. My lock screen flickered a lot and I'm not able to install HTC official apps now. Rolling back to nodo.

Fahrenheit said:
Guys, how do i change my network mode from GSM to WCDMA on a Samsung Focus? I need to change it to WCDMA to get the 3g signal for vodafone...

Or if somebody has managed to activate Vodafone 3G in bangalore, can you please share your settings...

By default it should be automatic selection of 2G or 3G. So just insert a SIM card which has 3G already enabled. It should select 3G network.

If you have to force the phone to use 3G always, then you have to use diagnostic tool. Then use *#2263# to see current setting. It is [1] Automatic by default which is shown by a star (*) beside it. You can force the phone to use WCDMA or GSM network by selecting [2] or [3] option.

Extreme boy said:
I installed mango with that force trick and now I'm facing lots of problems with IE9. It shows page cannot be displayed error every time i open new website. I have to refresh it twice in order to make it work. My lock screen flickered a lot and I'm not able to install HTC official apps now. Rolling back to nodo.

hmmm, i don't know why you are facing such problems. I am not having any issue. Guys I am not able to get custom ring tones. Any suggestions

Extreme boy said:

hmmm, i don't know why you are facing such problems. I am not having any issue. Guys I am not able to get custom ring tones. Any suggestions

soumalidon said:
just save the file as a ringtone(with limits defined by M$) and then sync via Zune, that's it. :)
You can also download ringtones from Xda (created by Xda members) , just sync those files and then those files will be there in the ringtones. :)

gamingstill said:
just save the file as a ringtone(with limits defined by M$) and then sync via Zune, that's it. :)

You can also download ringtones from Xda (created by Xda members) , just sync those files and then those files will be there in the ringtones. :)

thanks :) since the marketplace is officially supported in India after the Mango update, I still cannot browse apps through Zune with my Indian LIVE ID. I am able to access the market place on the phone and is shows the currency in Rs etc. Any idea why zune is not allowing app browsing?

I have tried installing Mango update by official means and by force trick. Both of them are not allowing me update the phone. My Focus is R1.3 and I am on 7390 version. Also I am using Zune 4.8.
So in all probability, I should be able to get Mango, but I keep getting message that my Focus is already updated. Does Microsoft updates phones based on their IMEI no.? In batches?

sandeepk said:
I have tried installing Mango update by official means and by force trick. Both of them are not allowing me update the phone. My Focus is R1.3 and I am on 7390 version. Also I am using Zune 4.8.

So in all probability, I should be able to get Mango, but I keep getting message that my Focus is already updated. Does Microsoft updates phones based on their IMEI no.? In batches?

yes the phones are updated in batches.

^^ I finally updated to Mango after repeated attempts with force trick. I used additional advice given on wpcentral.com by someone to also set airport mode ON. That might have made it work. Took around an hour to get all done. :)

My locally purchased (off flipkart) HTC HD7 wasn't updating (Zune showing no updates) for the last couple of days until just a few minutes ago when I saw the "disconnect your internet while checking for updates" force trick on XDA-developers forum :D For a few others it took a few attempts, for me it worked on the first go. Currently its updating to the intermediate 74xx version, I hope it gets to Mango next.

vishalrao said:
My locally purchased (off flipkart) HTC HD7 wasn't updating (Zune showing no updates) for the last couple of days until just a few minutes ago when I saw the "disconnect your internet while checking for updates" force trick on XDA-developers forum :D For a few others it took a few attempts, for me it worked on the first go. Currently its updating to the intermediate 74xx version, I hope it gets to Mango next.

probably this method won't upgrade the firmware , you have to manually update the firmware and diag. app for the phone. :p

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

soumalidon said:
thanks :) since the marketplace is officially supported in India after the Mango update, I still cannot browse apps through Zune with my Indian LIVE ID. I am able to access the market place on the phone and is shows currency in Rs etc. Any idea why zune is not allowing app browsing?

try updating zune client.

Can anybody post the following details after updating to Mango? I need to confirm that my update is successful. Mine are as follows (for Samsung Focus):

1) OS Version: 7.1.7720.68
2) Firmware revision version: 2103.11.8.1
3) Hardware revision version: 3.1.0.7
4) Radio software version: 2103.11.8.1
5) Radio hardware version: 0.0.0.3
6) Bootloader version: 5.8.0.2
7) Chip SOC version: 0.36.2.0

I am not able to use Airtel 3G SIM for data access after updating to Mango (in Pune). I am using airtelgprs.com as APN.
But BSNL 3G is working okay. I am observing some extra delay, but it may be due to weekend extra load temporarily. And it is jumping quite frequently between 2G (EDGE) and 3G (unusually high no. of times). I have forced it to 3G presently to observe any additional issues.
As additional information, I had to delete and re-enter my yahoo ID again to access it successfully. It was continuously giving sync issues. I am still facing issues with downloading attachments.

EDIT

I found out that the phone does not accept new APN without restarting it. Strange!! :huh:
Earlier I did not restart phone after changing APN from bsnlnet to airtelgprs.com.

Received my brand new Focus couple of days back. Came with 7392 installed, Was busy with Diwali so got the time to play with it only yesterday. Soon realized that jail-breaking with Mango is a pain, but finally after efforts of 3 hours (I have a 320kbps connection. :( ) managed to update it to Mango official with developer and inter-op unlocked. :)

Still to test whether I can access the market and explore the full capabilities of the phone. Some pointer towards good apps and games that can be loaded on this phone will be appreciated.

At the moment, lack of apps and low avenues to tinker with the phone is killing me. Nothing like android in this .. :), God i love my infuse, but even the infuse's 8mp camera is no match to focus's 5mp.

soumalidon said:
thanks :) since the marketplace is officially supported in India after the Mango update, I still cannot browse apps through Zune with my Indian LIVE ID. I am able to access the market place on the phone and is shows the currency in Rs etc. Any idea why zune is not allowing app browsing?

Use the marketplace enabler to launch Zune on PC, it will have marketplace enabled. For ringtones, take any of your MP3, and add "RINGTONE" to the GENRE tag, and it will appear in your ringtone list. Make sure the length of the mp3 is less than 40 seconds.

I am thinking of getting the Focus. What's the diff between Rev 1.3 and Rev 1.4? Also are there any stores in India where I can explore the WP 7 interface? This will be my first time with Windows Phone so I would like to explore the interface before buying.

Thanks guys!

crisscross said:
I am thinking of getting the Focus. What's the diff between Rev 1.3 and Rev 1.4? Also are there any stores in India where I can explore the WP 7 interface? This will be my first time with Windows Phone so I would like to explore the interface before buying.

Thanks guys!

Dont get the REV 1.4 focus by any chance, you will always get late updates(2-3 months) for this REV., mango update is still in testing for this particular model and may take one more month before the actual update availability, so better get the Focus REV 1.3 if you want to get latest updates.

It would be better if you can tell us your location to suggest stores in india, i have not yet seen a single WP7 demo handset in stores but maybe other members can guide you.

Back