Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - Discussion Thread

In Arkham City there's a lot to do other than the main story.

Beating Riddler was pretty satisfying and the Ranked Challenges and Campaigns are fun to do as well with all those medals and all.

And since I'm a Trophy whore :)ashamed:) so that adds another dimension to the games I play.

I wonder what makes you guys find UC3 inferior to UC2..This is just as epic a adventure as uc2 was, level locations might not be as interesting as in Uc2.

ram_dante said:
I wonder what makes you guys find UC3 inferior to UC2..This is just as epic a adventure as uc2 was, level locations might not be as interesting as in Uc2.
I'll get back to you on that, once I complete the game. But so far, if I compare the initial chapters of UC2 against UC3, then UC2 easily triumphs in terms of location diversity, good blend of action and exhilirating experience.

ram_dante said:

I for one found the soundtracks inferior to UC2. This one still gives me goose bumps:

[youtube]plYObqSlm_g[/youtube]

I guess they did such a good job with UC2 that it ended up raising our expectations beyond anything realistic. It's not easy to out do some of the things this series has done.

One of the things that I didn't like though, was that all these games have a somewhat similar premise. They go looking for treasures of immeasureable wealth and end up with something completely different (magic potions etc.). I for one would like to see some serious treasure (read: $$$$$$$) in the next installment.

Charted!

Not the same enjoyable installment like the predecessor(s). Even though the set pieces were made colossal, they paled .. absolutely.. when compared with UC2, and ditto with the OST. Treasure hunting wasnt fun.. seemed easy, and they lacked detailing as well. Not even new sound chunks while activating menu.. that part really was disappointing. Story really lacked cohesion and consistency.. just never felt clicking. Heck, i am willing to play UC1 instead of UC3 if asked for a rerun.

Shooting really was wonky. Had to aim at the face for a headshot. ND tried to fix something which wasnt broken.

Seemed more like a forced release more than rushed.

Satan said:
I guess they did such a good job with UC2 that it ended up raising our expectations beyond anything realistic. It's not easy to out do some of the things this series has done.

One of the things that I didn't like though, was that all these games have a somewhat similar premise. They go looking for treasures of immeasureable wealth and end up with something completely different (magic potions etc.). I for one would like to see some serious treasure (read: $$$$$$$) in the next installment.

Sattu bhai.. u might wanna put the last bit in spoilers.

Done with it.

Started boring but turned into a movie soon but surely didn't deserve 10/10.

ND have said that they built the levels first and then wove a story around it which is pretty lame but at least for us it meant great gameplay and amazing levels.

I think due to the high expectations people were left slightly wanting but anyone who plays it as his first UC game is sure to get blown away.

But nonetheless a great game.

Anyone trying Co-Op?

Just finished it. Loved it. All of it. Some brilliant set pieces and the game is also paced much better than the predecessors. More varied locales and some of the locations are jaw dropping. I also love how well you can use the environment in some levels and it changes how you play the game and that adds a lot to the combat. I also found the puzzles better than in the previous games.

Forgot to add. Did anyone notice how well the devs. made puzzle solving easy for the noobs? :p

If one cannot solve the puzzle in a definite period of time, the game presents the player with subtle clues like the NPC commenting something about it. For instance, let's say if Sully's around in some random chapter and there's this puzzle and we couldn't figure out a solution, he'd say 'Hey, this floor/wall seems to reflect different patterns of some symbol. Nate, you might want to check this out!'. And more subtle clues. Ultimately, if one cannot figure out the puzzle, the game reveals the solution using Drake's journal. The solution is displayed on the next page of the puzzle. Awesome isn't it? Because in the midst of the game, you wouldn't want to pause it, switch on your PC and check YouTube or IGN for the walkthroughs. Something other devs. should probably take note of IMO.

And how did I figure this out? Read on if you have completed Chapter 6 - The Chateau.

The very first puzzle wherein there are those 4 knights' metal statues holding the axe, morning star, shield and sword on the rotating platform and they need to be rotated to face each other in a definite pattern as indicated in the journal. I happened to figure out the solution after some time during my playthrough but my friend who wanted to try this random chapter could not. 15 minutes later after a brief exhaustion, the game unlocked the solution for him! I was pleasantly surprised to find this option within the game! :D

^ I noticed that very early in the game itself and when it happened I turned the Hints options Off but the NPC buggers still won't stop dropping hints.

It was actually very frustrating for me, kind of breaks the puzzle solving gameplay in between.

They should have added some option to turn it off completely.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

And to add to my above post, those vocal hints won't go away even on Crushing difficulty.

Also there are certain puzzles which can't be solved without these hints by NPCs as ND has made it like that the NPC will figure out a way to do it, like the pillar puzzle.

Meanwhile the gameplay becomes much faster on Crushing.

Also stealth is bugged in many cases and you have to go shooting ultimately.

Done with the game a few minutes back. Really good game, but definitely not worthy of 10/10 for sure. UC2 definitely still stands out for the being the best game in this series. For me, the key highlights of this game started right from the point we leave the airport to Rub' al Khali desert. The actual 'Rub' al Khali' level was the best visual quality I have seen in video gaming till date. Flawless visuals and brilliant art design. The levels prior to that really didn't hold my interest. Puzzles were really challenging in this game. The auto-hint option wasn't a bad addition at all, for those struck on time to complete the game. Aiming sucked balls and the gun-play just didn't feel right this time. Soundtrack in the last 4 chapters was awesome. I wish Naughty Dog would evolve the gameplay mechanics and start being creative with it, if they ought to make a sequel.

kestrel5915 said:
Completed on Crushing (with 85% trophies for now) :D

Nice! 'Grats man. I wish I had the time. Raking Platinum trophies in UC 1 & 2 felt awesome. I had a quick look through the trophy list as well and seems it is just like the previous 2. Not very hard IMO. If you are looking for the Platinum, best of luck! :D

kestrel5915 said:
Finally got my first Platinum!!

:jumpy:

Congrats man! My very first Platinum was cracked in Uncharted 2, the next on Uncharted and the third on Heavy Rain. Felt on top of the world. :D

PS: When are you headed back to sailing?
quixand said:
Reached chapter 16, this game is brilliant.

Edit: Charted !!

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk Pro.

Impressions? :p

Gannu said:
Congrats man! My very first Platinum was cracked in Uncharted 2, the next on Uncharted and the third on Heavy Rain. Felt on top of the world. :D

PS: When are you headed back to sailing?

Thanks!

I have given the exams for my next promotion (ie Second Engineer), waiting for the results and depending on that I'll go for sailing if I clear all papers.

These exams are conducted by Central Govt and they issue a license to work on-board at a specific rank.

No better period for the waiting btw.

Back