Storage Solutions Western Digital Issues, RMA problems, Service deficiency Thread.

I have a wierd problem, My external disk connects to the computer, it takes ages to load, and i cant copy paste anything my computer freezes, the green bar at the top which goes from left to right takes ages to finish. Anyone experiencing the same problem ?

asingh said:
^^
Do this:

1. Note down the RMA# which you generate.
2. Purge the drive of any confidential information.
3. Place it in "any" anti-static bag. I used the anti-static bag I received my HD4890 in.
4. Put it in a nice box, and buffer with thermocol. I used an old router box.
5. Put their address, and write the RMA# on 4-5 sides of the box.
6. Courier it off.

Note:
They will only return back the HDD to the registered address. Also you need to print out one page from their site, and keep it inside the packaging.
Thanks for the tips...will definitely do that.
Now waiting for the courier guy to show up !

Must be a I/O device error. i had similar problems on my seagate freeagent go. i could view stuff but couldnt backup anything and finally RMAed it

utkarsh86 said:
I have a wierd problem, My external disk connects to the computer, it takes ages to load, and i cant copy paste anything my computer freezes, the green bar at the top which goes from left to right takes ages to finish. Anyone experiencing the same problem ?

I created an RMA and requested courier pickup but no one has turned up. Now I have decided to send the HDD thru my own courier. But my RMA is scheduled to expire on 29th. If my courier reaches after 29th will they accept it or should I wait till 29th

and then create a new RMA and then send it. Please advice !

^ WD generally schedules courier pickup using AFL courier. Why don't you directly contact your nearest AFL branch and deposit your HDD there , and tell that this was schedules.

I did this when i RMAed my WD HDD

Okay so my Defective drive has reached WD service center today and today only they have also dispatched my replacement Hard Disk (they emailed me with Dispatch confirmation) - Good Service
<

But the thing which is confusing me is my faulty HD was 500 GB WD Blue WD5000AAKX-001CA0 but as per the RMA status link shows they have sent me 1 TB WD Black WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0.

Is there a catch somewhere? Why send a 1 TB drive in lieu of a 500 GB.

I am not very fond of the black series drives as they consume more power hence more temperature, less longevity.

Are the black series drives reliable and long lasting ? ...I will be mainly using to store movies etc

yes if the smaller HDD is not available they send you a bigger HDD

I had sent a 1 TB external and received 2 TB external in lieu in 10 days

wow a 2 TB in lieu of 1 TB....so they didn't have even 1 TB in stock ? Seems strange considering the price difference between the two. Do they really send brand new HDs or just recycled ones ?

Okay so my Defective drive has reached WD service center today and today only they have also dispatched my replacement Hard Disk (they emailed me with Dispatch confirmation) - Good Service
<

But the thing which is confusing me is my faulty HD was 500 GB WD Blue WD5000AAKX-001CA0 but as per the RMA status link shows they have sent me 1 TB WD Black WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0.

I am not very fond of the black series drives as they consume more power hence more temperature, less longevity.

Are the black series drives reliable and long lasting ? ...I will be mainly using to store movies etc

Where are you located? I have a sealed 500GB Blue with 3 more years of warranty remaining which I'd gladly exchange for a black
<

Hmm 500 GB blue for 1 TB black.....Whats the model no. of your HD, how do I get warranty on it do you have purchase bill ?

<

the black has 5 year warranty as against 3 years for blue.. also black supports raid and many other functions!! black>>>>> blue

yeah the black has 5 years warranty but when I register the drive on WD site I will only get the remaining warranty of my original Blue drive (2.5 years remaining) isn't it ?

So even though I am getting a black drive I will get only 2.5 years warranty.
<

^ come on mate, you must be satisfied, since you are getting a larger HDD instead of the original and a better performer as well.

Ans WD will not change the warranty, warranty periods is calculated from the date of purchase of the original HDD, and not from the date of RMA

Hmm 500 GB blue for 1 TB black.....Whats the model no. of your HD, how do I get warranty on it do you have purchase bill ?

I was just kidding man. Keep the black. Its a bloody good drive. But seriously, for warranty purposes, you can just check the warranty status on WD's site by entering the drive serial number.

PS: Older blue drives have 5 years of warranty.

My second WD RMA experience

• 25th Jan 2012 - Generated RMA ticket for 500GB sata 2.0 blue (pickup scheduled on 1st Feb 2012)
  • 30th Jan 2012 - Hand Delivered the dead and packed HDD at the local AFL courier branch
  • 06th Feb 2012 - WD confirmed receipt of the dead HDD
  • 07th Feb 2012 - WD sent a replacement drive (750GB Sata 3.0 black
    <
    )
  • 11th Feb 2012 - Received the HDD in prefect condition

Highly satisfied and happy
<
with the performance and capacity hike.

Warranty is still till 2015
<

Back