Other What consequences will I experience if I don't use a tempered glass on my flagship smartphone?

N O N E

I have never used , only a case to protect from falls, rest is all unnecessary
Same Here, i was unconsciously listening to all my friends to go for TAMPER, and they pronounce it as TEMPER, I was buying into it blindly and bluntly, after three years of experience with smart phones, CORNing-GORILLA GLASS itself is a Tamper resistant discovery/invention, you pay hefty already for that component for it will not fail you!!, so TAMPER RESISTANT is unnecessary!! The best bet will be the COVER, that makes the phone looks like a mini-diary, obviously one must buy the cover, that covers the Gorilla glass like a cushion on any fall~!!~ and protects it nicely!

Lately, i bought a new mobile, which is already covered up with cheap tamper resistant applied on it!! I will still prefer the cheap tamper off to have good visual experience with the phone!

For More Deeper Knowledge about the TAMPER RESISTANT CORNING GLASS that already exist in 11K+ phones!!
YT Corning Glass
Fall Test

This site has INTERESTING demonstration of CORNING GORILLA GLASS, so wake up!! dont get TEMPER.... :))
711VbioYihL._SL1110_.jpg

This is the one I have been using on my OP3, OP7T pro. Its sturdy and protective
yup this is the best bet!! choose wisely the right cover for your model, as there are umpteen covers available for different models!!

Last edited:
Tempered glass works entirely differently from protective flexible films. (Samsung/Corning research paper). It is supposed to sacrifice itself for protecting your display. In that sense, tempered glass is single-use.

The process of tempering puts the outer glass surfaces into compression and the interiors of the glass into tension. These tempered glasses absorb the physical energy upon any impact, and utilize that impact energy plus its own stored energy for breaking and cracking, thus preventing the impact energy from passing through, reaching the display glass and damaging it.
Interesting read,

Relatively thin glasses require high compressive stress for producing fragments, and the required compressive stress is increased with decreasing glass thickness (3.2 to 2.1 mm).

the idea is thinner the glass the more force it takes to shatter offering protection than if it was thicker. So if it is too thin then it will transmit the force to the screen offering no protection but if it was thicker then it would break sooner. There must be a range there in terms of thickness to force of impact.

In other words, a better quality TPG should be thicker than a generic.

Is it possible to tell the difference in thickness just by viewing? maybe if it's a mm or more.

BUT a screen is thicker than a protector and is more likely to break than a thinner sheet of glass. So a relatively thinner protector will offer some protection so long as it isn't too thin.

The problem is the randomness. So not reproducible. He is using a $20 protector so this is not some generic. It's spigen/nilkin quality at a minimum.

This time he got cracks on the edges. If he conducted the test a few more times I bet he will crack the screen on one attempt.

I have seen drops at waist height that cracked an iPhone 7 screen with no TPG. The phone was foolishly left on a scooter seat and slid off on its own onto a concrete surface.

Nice belly flop *SMACK* sound was heard. 11k repair bill (!)

You can think of it as reactive armour for your phone screen.
Bingo! the exploding kind that is used on tanks to dissipate the shock of an incoming shell
There you go. Corning 3 is thicker than Corning 4. So Corning 4 will survive a drop better than Corning 3. For a screen this is a good thing.

Corning 5 is a little thicker than Corning 4 but they have modified the composition and increased the thickness slightly more

Last edited:
"What consequence will I experience if I don't use tempered glass on my flagship smartphone"

Well if you ever drop your phone, your phone's market value will drop too. Drastically. Speaking from first hand experience. I didn't any any temper/case on my One plus 8 and it took just one drop and the phone's market value dropped by 25k.

If not tempered display ensure you at least wear a bumper protection cover. It doesnt kills the aesthetics yet offers one hell of protection. Using these cases since 7-8yrs now so can suggest based on daily usage across many phones.
No more damages edges or otherwise. Protects your bumped camera too.
After Using tons of flagship devices what i have understand is..glass back of a phone (iPhone 12/13 pro max, S21 ultra ) will pickup scratches faster than front screen...If the phone have a curved display, then hardly any tempered glass fits it properly unless its a uv glue glass (s21, s22, Vivo x80, OnePlus 10 pro all) .In that case a hydrogel or wet screen protector works better to save from scratches.. For me i use a front plus a back screen guard for all the high end smartphone i have used.. it does help with resale purposes too.. Difference between a 200 Rs and 900 Rs spigen tempered is good both longevity and protection wise.
Have used glass display phones both front back, never faced any scratches but one can very well opt to install gorilla glass on back sides too. Many phones have them available with precise camera cuts.

While a theoretical discussion is good, for all practical purposes:

- screen protector = scratch protection
- case/cover = drop protection

I have always used plastic screen protectors, they are so thin, they almost disappear. I do drop my phones at times, but in 9 years, I'm yet to break the screen even once. So I don't think tempered glass is required to protect your screen, just take care of your phone.

Consequences you will experience is the day your phone takes a leap of faith, owing a flagship phone like s22 u go to the service center and they quote you 20k for display.
Does the cost of flagship parts reduce as the market age of the device?

I've observed a significant price disparity between the components of different OnePlus flagship models.

Max's videos demonstrate the minimum quality you need with a case. I prefer videos like these that show how to protect than dropping the phone on its own which is useless.

CruzerLite cases were good enough. Prominent lip in the front and bumper sides for corner protection.

TPU instead of thinner silicone/gel is preferable or something harder.
If not tempered display ensure you at least wear a bumper protection cover. It doesnt kills the aesthetics yet offers one hell of protection. Using these cases since 7-8yrs now so can suggest based on daily usage across many phones.
No more damages edges or otherwise. Protects your bumped camera too.
It works well if you know what to look for in a case.

Last edited:
Max's videos demonstrate the minimum quality you need with a case. I prefer videos like these that show how to protect than dropping the phone on its own which is useless.

CruzerLite cases were good enough. Prominent lip in the front and bumper sides for corner protection.

TPU instead of thinner silicone/gel is preferable or something harder.

It works well if you know what to look for in a case.
Not bad for a drop with no hazard on ground. Obviously can't expect same result with dust/gravel on ground

Not bad for a drop with no hazard on ground. Obviously can't expect same result with dust/gravel on ground
Depends on the drop. Depends on the case.

A side drop with a decent bumper case or one like this and the phone will bounce.

A flat back drop means the bump at the centre contacts the ground first protecting the camera island which is covered anyway. Otherwise, it bounces again.

Face down requires a TPG

Last edited:
I have actually saved my Samsung S20 FE screen 3 times solely due to the 200 rupees tempered glass covers. If it was not for them, my screen would be shattered and repairs would alone cost me above 10k. Immense value for money, these 150-300 rupees covers have been for me.

I have actually saved my Samsung S20 FE screen 3 times solely due to the 200 rupees tempered glass covers. If it was not for them, my screen would be shattered and repairs would alone cost me above 10k. Immense value for money, these 150-300 rupees covers have been for me.
I tried one on my s20 fe but removed it since the touch screen/fingerprint sensor response went down

In my experience, doesn't matter the grade of gorilla glass on the phone, everything scratches eventually.
As time goes by I tend to notice small scratches all over the display if I don't use a tempered glass. But I don't trust them to protect the display from shatter damage upon drop.

In my experience, doesn't matter the grade of gorilla glass on the phone, everything scratches eventually.
As time goes by I tend to notice small scratches all over the display if I don't use a tempered glass. But I don't trust them to protect the display from shatter damage upon drop.
But that is precisely what they have done for me. More than twice. From chest height. And guess what, not a single scratch on the actual screen, only the tempered glass cover broke.

But that is precisely what they have done for me. More than twice. From chest height. And guess what, not a single scratch on the actual screen, only the tempered glass cover broke.
Which TPG did you go with? is this available on amazon or you bought locally

Is getting a spigen screen protector worth for phones in 15k range? It's like almost same price for iphones and same price for a 15k Samsung M33...

Using my Pixel 4a without screen protector and a case with edge protection (simple case, is a bit slippery).
Dropped multiple times, still works fine. No cracks or problems.
Android 12 on that phone was another problem though!

Back