Whom are you going to vote in India in 2013-14 elections?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dear fellow members,

Ok. We are just talking in circles and not exactly pointing out followers of the thread to right direction. I for one feel this thread is too biased with critics and agenda of individuals.

I was hope to come out with unanimous decisions supported by many honorable strategic thinkers where I can PAT MY BACK when i come out of voting ballot (after voting ofcourse) or even if the voted party looses the ground.

Apologies for my lack in English language.

Religion isn't the opium of the masses. It's the placebo of the masses. So says Dr. House and I agree with him.

That's for the doctor to decide, the masses still think of it as the Opium. A doctor giving a placebo won't just say the patient that it is a sugar pill, otherwise the effect of it is lost, just like with any religion.

My two questions are still unanswered :)... I prefer to stay out of politics but i couldn't help myself commenting here.
Why do you think Rahul is Best candidate for P.M? :oops:
Are you happy with ruling party? Justify

Check this report in the DNA - Mumbai Ed April 18, 2013 page 8; by Praful Bidwai

Why Big Business strongly favours Narendra Modi

India’s corporate world has launched a concerted campaign to “adopt” top politicians and enlist their support. Hence the media blitzkrieg projecting Narendra Modi as a “development” messiah, and major industry lobby meetings with him and with Rahul Gandhi.

Big Business would like the next parliament election to be a presidential-style contest. It’ll be nothing of the sort. The alliances led by the Big Two (Congress and BJP) are fraying. Their as-yet-unchosen nominees must painstakingly gather other parties’ support to shore them up.

Industry will do business with whoever comes to power — so long as it can wrest concessions. But that doesn’t spell political equidistance. Industry strongly favours Modi: unlike the somewhat circumspect Gandhi, Modi has a zealously pro-business agenda, with further deregulation, tax-breaks and public-private partnerships, along the “Gujarat Model” of development.

Ironically, as they become overtly “political”, businessmen exhibit enormous political myopia in ignoring the terrible stigma Modi carries for the butchery of 2002, shielding its perpetrators and mocking the rule of law. Modi continues to be an abomination to citizens everywhere who treasure political decency, secularism, tolerance and social inclusion. Politically and morally, it would be impermissible to sanitise a perverse, autocratic and crassly communal politician like Modi even if the “Gujarat Model” were worth emulating.
It’s not.

Gujarat is no leader even in growth, leave alone development. Its rank in per capita GDP has fallen since 1996-97 from 4th to 8th among 19 major Indian states. Haryana, Punjab, Maharashtra, Kerala and Himachal Pradesh are ahead of it. Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka are only a notch below.

In annual GDP growth in 2004-2012, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu and Bihar (respectively, 10.8, 10.3 and 11.4%) beat Gujarat (10.1%). Even Uttarakhand and Madhya Pradesh have outperformed Gujarat. Madhya Pradesh is now India’s fastest-growing state.

Gujarat’s recent growth is largely built on past gains, for which Modi cannot take credit. Gujarat’s industry is unbalanced, dominated by toxic chemicals production, shipbreaking and diamond polishing, and lately, polluting power generation.

Its agriculture, on which 52% of Gujaratis depend, is unstable, with two sharp recent food-output dips of 22 and 11%. Gujarat isn’t a unique foreign direct investment magnet. Maharashtra, Delhi, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu attracted much more FDI in 2000-2012 — Maharashtra, 678% more.

Gujarat’s human development index (HDI) record is even worse. Its HDI rank among states has fallen from six to nine. It ranks an abysmal 18th in literacy and 25th in infant mortality. Its female-male sex-ratio is a dismal 918 per 1,000 (national average, 940). The 0-6 sex-ratio (886) is India’s 27th lowest. In poverty reduction (8.6 percentage-points in 2004-2009), Gujarat lags behind Tamil Nadu (13.1), Maharashtra (13.7), Odisha (19.2) or Madhya Pradesh (11.9). Employment is almost stagnant in Gujarat since 2004-05, with less than 5% of households covered under the National Rural Employment Guarantee.

On hunger, Gujarat’s rank is an appalling 13 among 17 major states, including much poorer Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan. It’s firmly in the Bihar-Odisha “acute-hunger” league. Even sub-Saharan Africa does better. Nearly 45% of Gujarati under-five children are malnourished.

Yet, Big Business loves the “Gujarat Model” because it gives huge tax write-offs (eg, over 60% on the Tatas’ Nano project). Business adores Modi for his ruthless decisiveness in granting super-fast industrial approvals. In promoting Modi, it’s committing the same blunders that Hitler’s and Mussolini’s business backers made — aggravating the grave threat to Indian democracy from the communal extreme-right.

The author is a writer, columnist and professor at the Council
for Social Development, Delhi.
Views expressed are personal.

hence the question of its authenticity and the writers credibility does not arise

It is the Newspaper's prerogative to insert the "disclaimer".

However make no mistake about the credibility & authenticity of the article. Praful Bidwai is one of India's foremost political analysists; social science researcher; activist on global justice, human rights & environmental protection since 1972. I have been following him closely for well over 32 years.

I will never ever quote any article or studies until I am convinced about it's authenticity & facts.

He is one of many such people in India who has spent a lifetime fighting for truth & justice.

Here is a short list of articles written by Praful Bidwai

Economic & Political Weekly
Transnational Institute - A worldwide fellowship of scholar activists
http://www.thenews.com.pk/TodaysPrintWriterName.aspx?URL=Praful Bidwai
http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/praful-bidwai
http://www.prafulbidwai.org/index.php

Do you honestly believe the BJP is not a corrupt party ?

If you do then lets agree to disagree right here.

Two of the former BJP party presidents have been indicted for corruption and I refuse to believe for one second that the corruption ends at the top and does not spread to the rest of the BJP.

I have lived in Mumbai all my life and I have seen first hand the disdain the BJPs parter the Shiv Sena has towards minorities. They target schools run by minorities and according to their definition I am an outsider regardless that I have been born here.

Similarly every year they go around assaulting couples on Valantines day along with good measure of smashing a few shops that dare to sell valantine day memoribilia.

The Congress is in power both in the center and in the state but precious little is done to curb such incidents.

If the BJP and Shiv Sena are voted to power and I have no doubts that they will be more bold to do worse to people who they don't see as 'sons of the soil'.

There are plenty of articles on violence against Christians in India with a lot of fingers pointed towards the BJP and the Sangh. I am just posting a few.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Christian_violence_in_India

http://www.asianews.it/news-en/Weed-out-Christianity,-says-Hindu-BJP-nationalist-leader-19235.html

http://articles.timesofindia.indiat...29387931_1_incidents-teargas-shells-karnataka

Yes, I agree with you.

I think BJP is the most corrupt party in India. It is due to the BJP that India hasnt been able to progress in the past 65 years.
The little progress that we have made is due to the Congress. Also all the religious riots have been under the BJP rule (including the systematic cleansing and killing of a particular minority community). BJP and Shiv Sena are the real enemies of progress and secularism in this country.

As you said you havent decided which party to vote for (Your indecisiveness is clearly visible in your posts).
Let me help you make up your mind. Congress Ka Haath, Aam Aadmi Ke Saath!!! Cmon INC!!!

Yes, I agree with you.

I think BJP is the most corrupt party in India. It is due to the BJP that India hasnt been able to progress in the past 65 years.
The little progress that we have made is due to the Congress.

There are major fallacies in your reasoning - By what yardstick are you attributing this. By no stretch of one's imagination also can one draw up & defend such an infantile notion.

Also all the religious riots have been under the BJP rule (including the systematic cleansing and killing of a particular minority community). BJP and Shiv Sena are the real enemies of progress and secularism in this country.

Riots have taken place right since 1947 & under all possible forms of governments - even the Communists; Marxists et al & local state parties.

WE NEED TO BE VERY, VERY CAREFUL IN UNDERSTANDING & COMMENTING ON RELIGIOUS RIOTS & ATROCITIES. THIS IS REALLY HOT TERRITORY. I am saying this because I have studied & analysed riots for the past 3 decades. I have met victims on both sides of the tragedy .... at the end only pain, bitterness & revenge is left behind (oftentimes lasting for years). Which is why I strongly condemn the theory propagated by politicians - "for every action there is an equal & opposite reaction". This Newtonian IIIrd law was meant to explain the phenomena of the world of physics and yet today - we boldly use it to defend "our right to defend ourselves against fellow human beings". What an irony of facts.

As you said you havent decided which party to vote for (Your indecisiveness is clearly visible in your posts).
Let me help you make up your mind. Congress Ka Haath, Aam Aadmi Ke Saath!!! Cmon INC!!!

Let's not forget that the 16th Lok Sabha Elections are a good 10-11 months away. There is still plenty of time to decide, discuss and reflect on one's choices. So there is no need to force anyone to spell their positions.

Meanwhile let us also be aware that there would be a lot of political re-alignment of parties (and persons too), coalitions and so on. This picture would get clear only a few days.

Or it should not turn out the other way. Dunno if OP miscalculated & started this discussion too early on TE.

For the people who are telling BJP would be the worst choice and comparing modi with Hitler, please also tell what good thing of Congress and Rahul Gandhi I should look for..

For the people who are telling BJP would be the worst choice and comparing modi with Hitler, please also tell what good thing of Congress and Rahul Gandhi I should look for..

This will be the most difficult decision for all of us to take - when the time comes to vote ?

How to choose the lesser evil ?

None of them are going to be saints or "leaders of such impeccable character, principles and nature".

We should wait and watch the scenario as it unfolds...... and then maybe a month before the elections discuss the pro's and cons of the choices that exist before us.

Or exercise the "protest-option" as a last choice - This IMHO would not be the best choice too (unless it turns out to be an over-whelming majority & the chosen candidate get's disqualified).

That's for the doctor to decide, the masses still think of it as the Opium. A doctor giving a placebo won't just say the patient that it is a sugar pill, otherwise the effect of it is lost, just like with any religion.
The funny thing is, some studies have shown that placebos have an effect even when the patient is told that they're placebos. ;)

The funny thing is, some studies have shown that placebos have an effect even when the patient is told that they're placebos. ;)

But the doctor still knows that it is a placebo, that's the differentiating thing. Placebo is actually a utilitarian medical tool and not entirely useless, but only when done under supervision of a qualified doctor, not like with homeopathic quacks.

(Hehe, we're having a discussion of our own.)[DOUBLEPOST=1366305774][/DOUBLEPOST]
hence the question of its authenticity and the writers credibility does not arise
Ad Hominem can't be used against facts, only on opinions, and even then it's irrational.

^
its has got to do with taking responsibility to the writing and the newspaper is clearly not ready to own any of those views.

It's an editorial from a person who is experienced in the particular field the article is about, he's not a permanent employee of the newspaper. The newspaper is only a medium to publish his article, they don't have to own up to those views. They can also have another rebuttal from someone on the other side, which might be completely polar in opinion published earlier.

You just dismissed the entirety of the points made just by glancing over who he is and how he publishes his articles, and the role the newspaper plays. Yep, grey matters here.

It's an editorial from a person who is experienced in the particular field the article is about, he's not a permanent employee of the newspaper. The newspaper is only a medium to publish his article, they don't have to own up to those views. They can also have another rebuttal from someone on the other side, which might be completely polar in opinion published earlier.

You just dismissed the entirety of the points made just by glancing over who he is and how he publishes his articles, and the role the newspaper plays. Yep, grey matters here.

nope, but there are instances of editorials on times where in the newspapers do not need to mention it explicity since those things mention are their personal take on certain events.

what the newspaper has done is shrugged of the responsibility of cross checking the data presented by the author, in turn avoiding any future litigation directed to them in the process.
hence they do not own the views

nope, but there are instances of editorials on times where in the newspapers do not need to mention it explicity since those things mention are their personal take on certain events.

what the newspaper has done is shrugged of the responsibility of cross checking the data presented by the author, in turn avoiding any future litigation directed to them in the process.
hence they do not own the views

This clearly implies that you read & understand very little about the print-media (newspapers; magazines; journals etc). As I had mentioned earlier & again elaborated quite succintly by @blkrb0t - Disclaimers of such types are issued when a person's articles are syndicated; copyright material that is published; commissioned or non-comissioned articles etc. Data that is presented and analysed by the reputed writer is in public-domain.

Your's comes across as the classic case of wanting to "accept & believe" only that which is palatable to your views. Denial, rubbishing & refutation follows - even with all the insurmountable evidence that may be presented.

Last edited by a moderator:
This clearly implies that you read & understand very little about the print-media (newspapers; magazines; journals etc). As I had mentioned earlier & again elaborated quite succintly by @blkrb0t - Disclaimers of such types are issued when a person's articles are syndicated; copyright material that is published; commissioned or non-comissioned articles etc. Data that is presented and analysed by the reputed writer is in public-domain.

Your's comes across as the classic case of wanting to "accept & believe" only that which is palatable to your views. Denial, rubbishing & refutation follows - even with all the insurmountable evidence that may be presented.

i would like an official figure rather than believe on personal views.

btw i had asked a question before about assam riots and nobody wants to answer to that question.

to each his own i guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back