Windows 8 Consumer Preview is out!

yeah.. it still has the default backup option like in Windows 7.. or you can just install any backup software.. all the existing software from windows 7 work perfectly fine on windows 8 too..

Resolutions other than 1024x768 and 1280x1024 are not visible on my fullHD monitor (onboard graphics) Any solutions?

never mind.... it was just the drivers... pretty stupid of me
<

Well, it seems I got a bit of prolem here.. I downloaded the CP drivers for ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730.. tried to install, screen went blank.. tried to install again, screen went blank again..pff, it appears I'll have to move back to Windows 7

Tried 8 for 10 mins, honestly didnot like it at all. Installed 7 right after that
<

You should have used it for a couple of days.
<

BTW, there's no need to forcefully use metro if you dont want to. You can use Windows 8 just as you would use Windows 7, just that there's a stylish new start menu in the metro form. Other benefits are much improved performance, improved copy/paste feature, windows explorer (has inbuilt support for compressed files and mounting of iso images), task manager, and few goodies that are welcome additions.

windows8 is little better than 7 .. but none of the old programs are running.. even kaspersky getting program compatibility assistance... what to do ?

Hmm. Seems that there is another preview to go thru before the finale:

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][background=rgba(0, 72, 255, 0.148438)]Announce...Windows 8 Release Preview first week of June. Here's the announce from Japan's Windows 8 Dev Days[/background][/font]#thankyou[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][background=rgba(0, 72, 255, 0.148438)] [/background][/font]pic.twitter.com/ndRmXzJK

So I decided to move to Windows 8 ever since there was a series of BSODs on Windows 7 - it was probably due to a bad driver. Examining the .dmp file gave me that info.

It appears most drivers were taken care of, except the GPU (AMD has released a driver for the consumer preview) and for the audio card - the Asus Essence STX. Tried searching the web and came across a custom driver (Asus should have probably released a driver for the consumer preview by now?!). The link is here if anyone's curious - http://brainbit.wordpress.com/category/uni-xonar/

Moving on, has anyone installed games on the consumer preview version yet? Any compatibility modes need to be applied or is it just install and play?

I loved the interface. Vastly different from Windows 7 but I guess I'll get used to it in a while.

I loved the interface. Vastly different from Windows 7 but I guess I'll get used to it in a while.
I guess it's evoking very sharp emotions: Either you love it or you hate it. No middle path.

Personally, I think the Metro UI is very regressive for "PowerUsers", used to Keyboards and large monitors. It'll probably be fine with tablets & "post-pc" formfactors, but it just sucks for desktops. I can see the makings of another Vista like fiasco with Win8.

History isn't on their side; Microsoft has repeatedly tried to go at tablets, since WinXp, and haven't really succeeded in that market.

Yeah I think the UI is meant for tablets instead of regular desktops.

Oh and the game just worked fine without any additional tweaks. Had to install DirectX redist. pack.

Back