ZTE Blade aka DELL XCD 35 aka Orange San Francisco Thread

I also wanted to clear the same doubt, it's supposed to come with 256MB but I've heard that you can unlock the extra 256MB by installing a custom ROM, is it true?

@adizz - How is the touch response on the phone? I've decided to go in for the phone for my dad, but he's very used to the iPhone and since the iPhone's touch is very responsive, I'm kind of afraid the XCD35's wouldn't match up to it. Could you please comment on the same?

adizz said:
I just got a XCD35 but it says it has 420MB memory, is that possible? I've heard that it comes with only 256MB of RAM.

I also would like to root my phone and get CM7, can somebody link me to a good guide. BTW its Gen2 and running froyo.
Yes, even my friend got that much RAM on his DELL. And heres the guide.

sibot said:
I also wanted to clear the same doubt, it's supposed to come with 256MB but I've heard that you can unlock the extra 256MB by installing a custom ROM, is it true?

@adizz - How is the touch response on the phone? I've decided to go in for the phone for my dad, but he's very used to the iPhone and since the iPhone's touch is very responsive, I'm kind of afraid the XCD35's wouldn't match up to it. Could you please comment on the same?
The screen and the touch is incredible, at least in comparison to my 5233. The phone does lag a bit in the menus though.

Thanks for replying.

Well that demystifies alot, my dad needs it for basic calling, texting, browsing. How long is the battery life?

Even I plan to go in for one later on to replace my iPhone 3GS.

How many apps need to be open before one notices some amount of lagging?

^

-Just turn off Sync in accounts & GPS,

-Use some software like "Android Booster" to give network privileges to only important things as data transfer uses most battery.

As for lagging, i didnt try. I myself took over the phone yesterday :p

Ah okay, will do that. Is it possible to sync the Contacts via Gmail contacts or exchange server? I think it should be :p but just want to confirm :p

This will be my first Android phone, so I want to be sure for what I'm heading into.

vercetti said:
I ordered one from letsbuy...Now I need to go through 50 pages of the thread to understand and use the phoen properly::( :(

Can anyone summarize what I need to do in order for the below:
run the phone on froyo
install all android apps and games

Anything else?

Hi,

Can you confirm the android version on your device from letsbuy.com?

Their website mentions 2.1 but most of the online sellers (flipkart etc.) are selling with 2.2

Aladdin said:
EDIT: And CM7 it is !!

Sorry, i was out, couldn't reply. From your edit i see you've cracked it ?
adizz said:
I also would like to root my phone and get CM7, can somebody link me to a good guide. BTW its Gen2 and running froyo.
It's good to go through the guide posted by aladdin so that you know how it works, but the new tpt methods are pretty awesome all-in-one, single process methods of installing recovery, partitioning (optional) and rom in one go. Check out: Gen1 to Gen2 TPT upgrade - Android @ MoDaCo though i'm not sure if this will work for an existing gen2 phone. ask at the forum and make sure you backup your existing setup first.

@Owners - Does the phone have geotagging feature for photographs and does the compass work with the GPS? Also how long does the battery last for? Can the contacts be synced over exchange servers and gmail? Taking that it's an android phone, i'm sure they can, but it's always better to confirm.

Those whom dell xcd35 is showing 420mb memory, have most probably got their phones with unlocked 512mb RAM. If you have got with Froyo 2.2 then please post the ROMdump here or modaco's forum. Nothing like running stock English Froyo that too Indian.

I rooted the phone and installed CM7 but the phone lags alot in the menu.

It also restarts when I use Google maps, what could be the problem?

Sent from my Blade using Tapatalk

adizz said:
I rooted the phone and installed CM7 but the phone lags alot in the menu.

It also restarts when I use Google maps, what could be the problem?

Is your phone gen2? Because many users on modaco forums have sighted issues with GPS on gen2 phones with CM7 running

bigbyte said:
Those whom dell xcd35 is showing 420mb memory, have most probably got their phones with unlocked 512mb RAM. If you have got with Froyo 2.2 then please post the ROMdump here or modaco's forum. Nothing like running stock English Froyo that too Indian.
+1

Anyone who thinks that they have got a gen2 phone please use mr pigfish app to confirm and then try posting the ROMdump on modaco

CM7.0.0 stable and prior is only for GEN1

later nightly roms are for GEN2 only (after 39) .. stable rom for gen2 will be out soon

correct me if im wrong

raksrules said:
Is your phone gen2? Because many users on modaco forums have sighted issues with GPS on gen2 phones with CM7 running

Yes, it is gen2.

Getting back to some 2.2, maybe Swedish S. The CM7 2.3.3 didnt feel smooth to me & ....what?

-The menu with 5 icons per row makes it look cluttered.
-When somebody calls, i start getting vibrations but shows CLIP only after 1-2 seconds which is a big turn off.
-The 3 themes provided dont appear to make any visible difference. Now i dont know if there are some settings to do. It has so many...many settings that makes me wonder each time i hit menu>settings. Was this made for extreme tweakers?
-GPS lock is slow.
-The whole operation although now more crisp and visually appealing is little sluggish. The processor cant keep up maybe?
And i didnt find anything new and useful to seal the deal. Oh i would have sticked to 2.3 provided i had 1Ghz and/or a video calling phone. :eek:hyeah:

^^Me too may be switching back to SS RLS5 may be after some time. Dont want hassles of making phone Gen2 and not much difference except more customization features which i anyways never use. Still yet to decide though.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

adizz said:
Yes, it is gen2.

Can you post a ROM dump on modaco ?

I dont know how to take a ROM dump so someone here or modaco may be able to answer.

Been using the CM7 stable on my Gen 1 Blade for past two weeks. A bit slow compared to the FLB R11 and the random restarts are a bit annoying. Going to try the SS RLS5 for a while till the CM7 issues are all sorted out.

I also installed and uninstalled CM7 from my Blade within a day since i didn't find any major performance or feature improvements, instead I lost the USB tethering. SS Rls5 is best for our Blade ATM and it supports installation of different kernels that claims to get rid of angry bird lag.

I'd always installed all my previous ROM's running at the stock CPU speed. Since i was feeling the response of SS a bit slow, I went to CPU speed control and increased the minimum CPU speed from 100 something to next setting (200 something).

After that it is back to it's usual speed.

Back