ZTE Blade aka DELL XCD 35 aka Orange San Francisco Thread

@ hellgate.

Installing a custom rom will void the warranty of the phone, right ?

Have you taken the backup of stock rom to use in case of emergency? Am also interested in custom roms, but the voiding of warranty is worrying me :(

@hellgate.. which method did you used to upgrade to Gen2? TPT or flashing in FTM mode?

BTw why don't you upgrade it to official Froyo at Dell?

People here who are upgrading to Gen2, want to ask primary reason for doing so ??

Just to install CM7 or does this upgrade unlock things not available in Gen1 or something like that ?

raksrules said:
People here who are upgrading to Gen2, want to ask primary reason for doing so ??

Just to install CM7 or does this upgrade unlock things not available in Gen1 or something like that ?
As far as Dell XCD35 is concerned, there is nothing that is locked, even RAM wasn't locked in my case.

I think its just the feeling that newer is better

arun687 said:
I just upgraded to Gen 2 and now running CM7 nightly 64. The upgrade process went smooth and easy, I followed this guide to upgrade.
It could still be the charger. Try charging via USB from PC to see if it charges fine.
I tried TPT from this link too. the phone just shows the android logo and nothing happens...
is there a noob guide for firmware update as i am sick of the san francisco's orange apps eating resource?

^^ I am guessing you have a gen 1 phone. Why do you want to do this TPT upgrade and all at all. Just root the phone, install recovery, clockwork and install custom ROM like SS RLS5 and you are through.

raksrules said:
I upgraded just because I was certain I'm not going back to any 2.2 ROM again unless I'll have terrible issues with CM7. So with the new nightlies, the charging bug is also fixed which was an important bug for me. Hence I upgraded. People who're looking to stick to SS Rom need not upgrade. Gen2 also has a newer version of the radio lib though there's no conclusive evidence that Gen2 phones do better with network reception.

BTW the Gen2 upgrade through TPT is also reversible to Gen1 without any problem, I would advise upgrading to Gen2 by TPT method only as it provides a safe way back to Gen1 in case if anyone wants to come back to Gen1, not the case with the windows upgrade method.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Poga said:
I tried TPT from this link too. the phone just shows the android logo and nothing happens...
is there a noob guide for firmware update as i am sick of the san francisco's orange apps eating resource?
Make sure you check the md5 and also verify the nandroid backup using AFV app as stated in the guide. Also while powering up, press Menu+Vol up. Some people see a few lines of green text, though some don't and I didn't see it either. After 1-2 mins, it automatically reboots to CM7. This is if you use the all in one TPT file, which does everything automatically. If you just used the TPT file for upgrade, then you will have to manually install a Gen2 Rom from clockwork, but it's better to do that all in one TPT upgrade which does everything for you.

Poga said:
Remove the battery and try again. Happened to me when i was upgrading 3 phones at office :| wouldnt go into the menu and start TPT unless i removed the battery, put it back and then volume up + power.

arun687 said:
I upgraded just because I was certain I'm not going back to any 2.2 ROM again unless I'll have terrible issues with CM7. So with the new nightlies, the charging bug is also fixed which was an important bug for me. Hence I upgraded. People who're looking to stick to SS Rom need not upgrade. Gen2 also has a newer version of the radio lib though there's no conclusive evidence that Gen2 phones do better with network reception.

BTW the Gen2 upgrade through TPT is also reversible to Gen1 without any problem, I would advise upgrading to Gen2 by TPT method only as it provides a safe way back to Gen1 in case if anyone wants to come back to Gen1, not the case with the windows upgrade method.

Charging bug? Do you mean something is wrong with the rom? BTW, I tried and it seems USB charging works fine.

Can thins thing play normal avi files with 640*320 resolution?, i mean the 700Mb rips? or mkv files?

even the 700Mb avi rips are stuttering too much on mine. have tried various players.

dOm1naTOr said:
Can thins thing play normal avi files with 640*320 resolution?, i mean the 700Mb rips? or mkv files?
even the 700Mb avi rips are stuttering too much on mine. have tried various players.

Course it plays it smoothly. Mine has played every single file I have thrown at it. Try Mobo Player with the Arm 6 plugin (if the regular program doesn't work smoothly). You won't regret it.

sharktale1212 said:
Charging bug? Do you mean something is wrong with the rom? BTW, I tried and it seems USB charging works fine.
No mate not our problem I'm talking about. There was this charging bug where while charging the phone reboots occasionally in CM7 7.0 Stable. This and a few other bugs are now ironed out in the new nightlies and also they're in the process of adding in the new kernel for 2.3, which should solve the remaining few niggles like the accelerometer for games.

haritr said:
@ hellgate.

Installing a custom rom will void the warranty of the phone, right ?

Have you taken the backup of stock rom to use in case of emergency? Am also interested in custom roms, but the voiding of warranty is worrying me :(
Yes installing a custom rom does void the warranty, but you can always take a backup of your stock rom so that you can revert back should something happen.
Try the custom roms, you will like it.

bigbyte said:
@hellgate.. which method did you used to upgrade to Gen2? TPT or flashing in FTM mode?

BTw why don't you upgrade it to official Froyo at Dell?
I used the CM 7.0.2 TPT N59 rom and flashed it from the phone.

Dont wanna use official roms. If I had to, then why get a droid, Wp7 is good enough.

mavihs said:
guys hows the battery life/talk time life of the phone???
Thats my only gripe against this phone. battery life just sucks, specially when you are using 3G and syncing 4 mailboxes every hour.

Atleast my HD7 used to last more than a day.

mavihs said:
guys hows the battery life/talk time life of the phone???
Battery life is highly dependent on usage pattern. As hellgate mentioned, it is seems he uses 3G and syncing continuously and hence obviously battery life for him will be less.

In my case, i use internet only some times in a day, it is not ON full time. I rarely SMS and total minutes of incoming + outgoing calls in a day is less than 5 minutes for me. Hence i find the battery life good.

As of now my battery is showing 39% and the last time i charged my phone was 41 hours back.

Couple of days back i had done a battery recalibration because i was experiencing rapid battery level drop. Found that recalibration plus killing few apps when phone starts helped (like yahoo mail, maps)

Aladdin said:
Hey guys, i can get that 2.2 dell rom from a friend. Do we need it still?
Yes, At least I need it to explore the goodies store in it. You never know if it turns out to be a better ROM though SS5 is avery good rom except that it hasn't got radio working (may be hardware fault).

^^I have SS5 ROM and Radio works fine for me :S

The default one i mean, having the text as "FMRadio" (no spaces) and a white old transistor type icon.

The other one, copper gold colour icon radio app does not work though.

Back