ZTE Blade aka DELL XCD 35 aka Orange San Francisco Thread

^ It's a very very primitive port. What else did you expect? Expect much better performance (than that's seen on the video) as the code gets optimised by devs in the near future.

RAM? 512MB is more than enough. It's the CPU which is lacking here, not even the GPU because phones like the Nexus One and the Desire are expected to run ICS without any major hiccups and they have the same GPU. The non turbo ARMv6 7227 is simply not capable of churning out WVGA pixels at a very good framerate, irrespective of optimisation. This is the biggest hindrance in the development of ICS for the Blade. Also, there won't be any ICS based ROM for the Blade other than CM9 since ZTE almost certainly won't provide an official update (It has already received 2)

I just hope what you are saying turns out . If Blade indeed gets the ICS then it should my biggest bargain of my life .

Yea . GPU might be the reason . Good point .

thanks to pageisgod85 I have now installed cm7.1 stable.

two things

how to partition my memory card?and can I use a different card without reinstalling the rom?

my Wifi still doesn't work in sleep mode?

thanks

You can use partitioning tool like easeus partition masters or in built partitioning tool from within clockworkmod recovery(which will completely format the sd card and make a separate ext partition).

To just change cards (without any ext partition) you can copy all the contents on sdcard1 to PC and then from PC to sdcard 2 to use sdcard2 on the phone without changing/reinstalling rom. If you have an ext partition on sdcard1 the process is a little longer.

I used cockworkmod recovery to parition a new sd-card and use 'link2sd' to link applications on ext-partition.

To change/upgrade sdcard with ext partition to another sdcard, you can use the procedure below assuming you use Link2Sd. I have used itsuccessfully to move to a 8gb card from 4gb card with an ext partition of 512MB. Link2sd need to be on the phone memory and not on sd-ext for the following method to work.(well it may work if installed in sd-ext but i havent tried that yet).

1. Make a nandroid backup of the phone including ext partition on sd-card1.

2. Make a copy of all data on the sd-card1 to a folder on PC by mounting sd-card as mass storage from within clockworkmod recovery. This includes the nandroid backup created in step1.

3. Shutdown phone, remove sd-card1 and insert sd-card2.

4. Start phone by booting into clockworkmod recovery (vol down key + power button).

3. Within clockworkmodrecovery partition the sd-card2. Mount sd-card2 in mass storage mode from within clockwork recovery and copy all files back to the root of the sd-card2 from the PC folder.

4. restore the sd-ext partition to the sd-card 2 using clockwork recovery.

5. boot into CM7, run link2sd and select ext partion type as (ext2/3/4) - same as the partition type in sd-card1. It will then create scripts for running during next reboot and mount the partition created on sd-card2.

6. Reboot and now all your apps should start working from sd-ext on sd-card2.

suggestions are welcome.

Using Link2SD

Ref: [App] Link2SD - xda-developers

Link2SD Guide and Usage Tutorial | MadTeam

Method using S2E:

Transfer Apps & App Data To sd-ext And Back In CyanogenMod 7 [Android]

rajat565 said:
thanks to pageisgod85 I have now installed cm7.1 stable.

two things

how to partition my memory card?and can I use a different card without reinstalling the rom?

my Wifi still doesn't work in sleep mode?

thanks

The WiFi bug was resolved in the latest stable version of CM7 AFAIK. I haven't used it personally, coz it's been quite sometime since I've been on a stable release. Anyway, do check with other users of the 7.0.2 stable version. I guess xtremevicky is on the stable release.
Blugene said:
You can use partitioning tool like easeus partition masters or in built partitioning tool from within clockworkmod recovery(which will completely format the sd card and make a separate ext partition).

To just change cards (without any ext partition) you can copy all the contents on sdcard1 to PC and then from PC to sdcard 2 to use sdcard2 on the phone without changing/reinstalling rom. If you have an ext partition on sdcard1 the process is a little longer.

I used cockworkmod recovery to parition a new sd-card and use 'link2sd' to link applications on ext-partition.

To change/upgrade sdcard with ext partition to another sdcard, you can use the procedure below assuming you use Link2Sd. I have used itsuccessfully to move to a 8gb card from 4gb card with an ext partition of 512MB. Link2sd need to be on the phone memory and not on sd-ext for the following method to work.(well it may work if installed in sd-ext but i havent tried that yet).

1. Make a nandroid backup of the phone including ext partition on sd-card1.

2. Make a copy of all data on the sd-card1 to a folder on PC by mounting sd-card as mass storage from within clockworkmod recovery. This includes the nandroid backup created in step1.

3. Shutdown phone, remove sd-card1 and insert sd-card2.

4. Start phone by booting into clockworkmod recovery (vol down key + power button).

3. Within clockworkmodrecovery partition the sd-card2. Mount sd-card2 in mass storage mode from within clockwork recovery and copy all files back to the root of the sd-card2 from the PC folder.

4. restore the sd-ext partition to the sd-card 2 using clockwork recovery.

5. boot into CM7, run link2sd and select ext partion type as (ext2/3/4) - same as the partition type in sd-card1. It will then create scripts for running during next reboot and mount the partition created on sd-card2.

6. Reboot and now all your apps should start working from sd-ext on sd-card2.

suggestions are welcome.

Using Link2SD

Ref: [App] Link2SD - xda-developers

Link2SD Guide and Usage Tutorial | MadTeam

Method using S2E:

Transfer Apps & App Data To sd-ext And Back In CyanogenMod 7 [Android]

Great explanation. I have never personally felt the need to create an ext partition on my card, but I've always had one question. Can you move widgets to the ext partition? If not then I don't really see the point in it since CM7's native app2SD (?) does the job anyway.

Update: I partitioned my SD card (without having to format the entire card) using MiniTool Partition Wizard and selected ext2 file system format. Used Link2SD to move apps to the partition. I confirm that widgets are working fine after moving.

After days of searching and going about here and there I just got this MobileGo - Android Manager to Manage Android from PC | Wondershare a very good PC Suite for ZTE BLADE or any other droid [i guess]. Considering the fact that I didnt get either the DELL or ZTE PC Suite :p .

And BTW I gave S2E a try and its been working great you can move dalvik cache even . Dont know if Link2SD does the same or not :p . WiFi Bug is fixed in CM 7.1 Stable :) just select it accordingly in the WiFi advanced menu .

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Does link2SD work on other ROMs other than CM7.1 , I mean on the stock ROMs ?

That PC Suite software looks good. Will give it a shot sometime, although I don't really think I'll be using it that much as I've been saving my contacts on the google account since my Symbian days (using an email client app called Emoze)

Link2SD has now given me the freedom to install as many useless apps as I want to, without worrying about low space error. Thanks for the detailed post, Blugene. Yes, Link2SD moves Dalvik cache too. It should work on all rooted phones, IMO. By definition, a stock ROM isn't rooted by default, so I guess it won't work on a stock ROM.

well I didnt have the auto sync on my symbian .. and PC Suite is nifty in some cases :p . Link2SD seems better than S2E as S2E is only Cyanogen Mod :p , a 512mB partition does the job for me now :) .

^ It's that first ever dual SIM (CDMA+GSM) Android phone, right? It seems to have better hardware (larger display, higher res camera+LED flash, A8 processor) than the Blade, but has a non existent community support and is stuck on Eclair from what can be seen. Due to the OS alone, it would perform a lot worse than the Blade on CM7.

OK so i've just learnt that it's a dual-sim cdma+gsm combo phone and doesn't support 3g on gsm, only on cdma.

Probably a pricing mistake but it was on sulekha for less than 6k. which is why i even mentioned it.

Just a question. Now that we've used the Blade for quite sometime, what would you want in your next phone?

I want my next phone to have good dev support (like the Blade or even better) with a super AMOLED display > 4 inches. Since I'm not planning on buying one in the next 3-4 months, I hope phones with the 'old' dual core processors come down to the Rs. 15-16k mark.

pageisgod85 said:
Just a question. Now that we've used the Blade for quite sometime, what would you want in your next phone?

I want my next phone to have good dev support (like the Blade or even better) with a super AMOLED display > 4 inches. Since I'm not planning on buying one in the next 3-4 months, I hope phones with the 'old' dual core processors come down to the Rs. 15-16k mark.

I would want a better screen ( AMOLED ) + Better battery life + Dual core phone.

Since I am broke now so I wont be buying for a good time :p

Good dev support is the hardest to find. Atleast official CM7 support is a factor. Next is a 4" screen. I've used 4.3" and found it unwieldy. Then a dual core for atleast 2-3 years of use. And 1gb of ram. Can't stand the samsungs though. Seem to plasticky. Narrowed down to the atrix. But it's still kinda expensive. Might go for the xperia play, it's single core 1ghz and 512mb of ram, so it should be 'usable' for a year at least.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

p.s. i've never found the blade's screen to be lacking. Sure, technically, the SAMOLEDs may be better, but in real life i didn't notice a huge difference or anything.

Julian said:
Good dev support is the hardest to find. Atleast official CM7 support is a factor.

This.

Julian said:
Next is a 4" screen. I've used 4.3" and found it unwieldy. Then a dual core for atleast 2-3 years of use. And 1gb of ram. Can't stand the samsungs though. Seem to plasticky. Narrowed down to the atrix. But it's still kinda expensive. Might go for the xperia play, it's single core 1ghz and 512mb of ram, so it should be 'usable' for a year at least.

What about the Xperia Arc? That's one of the best single core phones IMO. Official CM7 support, good display, great camera, great looks (although this is subjective). It probably has everything I currently need in a phone.

Julian said:
p.s. i've never found the blade's screen to be lacking. Sure, technically, the SAMOLEDs may be better, but in real life i didn't notice a huge difference or anything.

I kinda agree. The Blade's TFT screen is a lot more vibrant than some of the other low-mid level offerings (such as Defy and Spice Mi 410) in terms of colour reproduction and contrast. Also, having such a high ppi display does help a lot. The reason I want an AMOLED display in my next phone is because of the blacks and the saturated colours. Being a photographer, it does help when you can show off your images on a 4-4.3 inch display to people.

Also, I agree with the others about battery life. It would be a huge factor. Although, I don't think any current Android phone other than the Galaxy Note gives exceptional battery life. Maybe buying a higher capacity battery is a better option?

Back