AMD Ryzen 5000 (Zen 3) processors Official launch | Where Gaming begins. (October 8, 9:30 PM)

Seems these perform better with 4 sticks of RAM vs 2 sticks of RAM
This single rank vs dual rank bit is true for every platform - Intel/AMD from time immemorial. Not sure why there's so much hoo haa about it.

You'll get the same enhanced performance if you use two dual rank 16GB sticks as well. It has nothing to do with the number of dimms but all to do with the rank of the dimms.

Note: Not all 16GB DIMMs these days are dual rank.

Whats with sudden shortage of gpu, cpu. Is the supply less then previous gen products or is the demand that high now.
Low supply due to various reasons - (New products, COVID, Limited capacity of 7nm wafer at TSMC) & high demand again due to various reasons - (Holiday season, Better value products, Free time due to COVID) are some of the most important reasons. So its both - low supply & high demand. Better wait for 3-4 months if you are not in a rush.

is this only 5000 series or even 3000 series benefits ?
Seems to be a 5000 series specific issue
This single rank vs dual rank bit is true for every platform - Intel/AMD from time immemorial. Not sure why there's so much hoo haa about it.

You'll get the same enhanced performance if you use two dual rank 16GB sticks as well. It has nothing to do with the number of dimms but all to do with the rank of the dimms.

Note: Not all 16GB DIMMs these days are dual rank.
Havent heard of a 6-10% difference for any other platform from rank or number of sticks. Maybe it'll drop as the bios matures

Last edited:
Small tip for those who want cheap single rank rams that work well with AMD/Intel and OC like crazy.

Crucial Ballistix 8gb 3000mhz CL16/15 can be OC'd to 4000mhz CL19-21-21-42. Although new ryzens dont really respond as well as Zen2.

Why would anyone even consider panic selling their 10700 at this point? Does it hold you back in any of the computing tasks?
Not really. But I wanted to switch to amd cause their matx mobos are much better.

Seems to be a 5000 series specific issue

Havent heard of a 6-10% difference for any other platform from rank or number of sticks. Maybe it'll drop as the bios matures
Perfectly possible if the CPU is bandwidth limited. Typically it is 3-5% as seen in most of the benchmarks. One or two outliers seem to scale more. The effects will be more pronounced if the subtimings (especially tRC and tRFC which have a profound effect on zen CPUs) are hand tuned like what GN did. Older Zen2 chips had other bottlenecks due to 4 core CCX which were probably hit first before rank becoming a bottleneck.

Also do note that memory behaviour between Zen2/Zen3 will be mostly identical as the I/O die hasn't changed. We see somewhat higher IF/Mem speeds due to process maturity.

Today hardware unboxed came out with a video on this topic. As seen - all CPUs benefit from this and pretty much mirrors my thoughts above

Last edited:
Can someone PLEASE spam AMD India why they seem to be doing nothing about the unavailability of the R3 3300X and R5 3600? Its making pc build suggestions in India so difficult now. I don't even know what to recommend to buyers anymore. They haven't even said anything about R3 5k and R5 5k non-X ones either.
I'm not buying their excuse that the two models I listed above are just being cleared fast. Why not replenish faster then? Instead of making them buy the lower R3 3100 and the pricier R5 X-models?

Can someone PLEASE spam AMD India why they seem to be doing nothing about the unavailability of the R3 3300X and R5 3600? Its making pc build suggestions in India so difficult now. I don't even know what to recommend to buyers anymore. They haven't even said anything about R3 5k and R5 5k non-X ones either.
I'm not buying their excuse that the two models I listed above are just being cleared fast. Why not replenish faster then? Instead of making them buy the lower R3 3100 and the pricier R5 X-models?

You get 3500x for 13k nowadays which is a decent alternative to either of those two.

I don't think availability is going to improve any time soon or if it is even going to be available anymore. You can see globally that these models are very rarely available. Only the existing stocks of 3600X & 3600XT must be available which are being sold everywhere.

This also makes sense considering AMD would want to invest the fabrication resources towards the 5000 series processor due to their high demand. It also makes the price jump a little bit easier to digest for potential buyers when 5000 series prices are compared to 3000X/XT series processor.

Your best bet is to either wait for low end processors of 5000 series or go with 3500X as suggested above if you want to stick with AMD or go with an i5 10400 as its priced a lot better right now (15k without discounts on amazon here), is better than a 3500X & almost equivalent to 3600 in productivity & slightly better in gaming.

Last edited:
Thankfully for my use case of 1440p there are negligible gains so can stick with 3900x and just get a 3080. All the gains in gaming seem to be in 1080p where it is more cpu bound.

Ughhh

IMG_20201222_185730.jpg

In stock

Back