AMD Ryzen 5000 (Zen 3) processors Official launch | Where Gaming begins. (October 8, 9:30 PM)

The board is pretty neat for it's price. I know that B550 supports new series and 3000 series, what I'm not sure about is how the bios download sections have written 'no longer support to flash back to older bios' for their latest bios downloads. I'll have a 3600x and was wondering if flashing the latest BIOS for the A PRO will then stop supporting my cpu.
I read that Asrock has not yet released BAR support for some of their boards, that's why wanted to know from that guy if the B550m Pro 4 has it or not.
Newer BIOS versions usually improve stability, fix bugs or add support for newer hardware. They mostly never remove support for older generation hardware unless specifically stated in the BIOS support page.

These B550 boards were launched with support for Ryzen 3xxx series out of the box & support for newer Ryzen 5XXX series processor was added later in the subsequent BIOS updates. These newer BIOS updates still contains code to support Ryzen 3XXX series so you can rest assured. In fact if you look at the CPU support list of your particular motherboard here https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B550-A-PRO#support-cpu, you can see that Ryzen 3600 was been supported since version 7C56vA0, i.e. since the 1st version, whereas support for Ryzen 5600X was added later in version 7C56vA4. So, 3600 will always be supported unless specifically stated otherwise. Ideally you should update to version 7C56vA5 to add support for Re-size BAR function if you have a supported GPU.

As far as I know, all PCIe4 boards support rBAR put of the box, while older pcie3 boards require the manufacturer to issue a bios update to enable it
Actually that is not really true. In fact almost none of the B550 or X570 motherboards have support for Re-size BAR out of the box despite them being PCIE gen 4. This feature was introduced with 5000 series processors & support for this has been added later via BIOS updates for both 5000 as well as 3000 series.

Last edited:
Older processor means those old amd a series etc processors if you have 32 mb shit works .I have a crosshair x470 hero and ryzen 1700x with resizable bios.Manufacturers did chindi giri to put small capacity bios chip and than soldering them if it were to be removable things would have been such an easy task.

But I think it means you can't downgrade your bios?
Yeah, that's what I was getting at as you can no longer downgrade your bios once updated to latest ones with new series ryzen support on most motherboards. If I did that, would it stop supporting older ones or not was my question.
you can see that Ryzen 3600 was been supported since version 7C56vA0, i.e. since the 1st version, whereas support for Ryzen 5600X was added later in version 7C56vA4. So, 3600 will always be supported unless specifically stated otherwise. Ideally you should update to version 7C56vA5 to add support for Re-size BAR function if you have a supported GPU.
I see, my doubts are now cleared.

I'm set on the B550 A PRO too. If I actually get to the point of putting together my build.

But what is this warning you speak of? I thought the 550 boards had out of the box support for 5000 series and also supported 3000 series (just not the APUs).
Try to find similar featured board from ASUS or Gigabyte. Many of MSI B450 boards had issues with supporting Zen 3 chips as there were lot of reports of buggy BIOS updates and for some boards, the BIOS update never happened. If you plan to get Zen 3+ chips that will come out later this year, MSI may not be the ideal choice right now to expect bug free BIOS updates. If you are going with Zen 3 chip now and not keen on upgrading to Zen 3+, go for it.

Many of MSI B450 boards had issues with supporting Zen 3 chips as there were lot of reports of buggy BIOS updates and for some boards, the BIOS update never happened.
This isn't entirely true, all MSI B450 boards support Zen 3 (ryzen 5000 chips). The BIOS was buggy for the first few betas but it's mostly fine now. The non-Max B450 boards have a dumbed down BIOS in order to support all chips on its flash memory, but apart from that things seem to be working fine for Zen 3 on MSI B450.

I'm set on the B550 A PRO too. If I actually get to the point of putting together my build.

But what is this warning you speak of? I thought the 550 boards had out of the box support for 5000 series and also supported 3000 series (just not the APUs).
MSI B550 A-Pro, Gaming Plus, Asus B550 tuf plus are great options.

This isn't entirely true, all MSI B450 boards support Zen 3 (ryzen 5000 chips). The BIOS was buggy for the first few betas but it's mostly fine now. The non-Max B450 boards have a dumbed down BIOS in order to support all chips on its flash memory, but apart from that things seem to be working fine for Zen 3 on MSI B450.
My earlier post is based on my search when I was looking for B450 board for 5800X back in Feb. But if these issues are resolved, well and good.

Great choice mate!

Thanks mate, read a lot of r/buildapc post before deciding on that motherboard. According to that subreddit it’s one of the best in the ultra budget range.

How's the board? Does it support Resizable Bar? I'm on the fence between this and the MSI B550 A PRO.

Dumb question - I know updating the bios to the latest version unlocks the potential to use the new ryzen series but the warning says that it cannot be flashed back anymore, so does it mean that I cannot use a 3600x?

The board is quite good so far. Upgraded it to the latest bios and turned on BAR. Everything is working well.

The board is quite good so far. Upgraded it to the latest bios and turned on BAR. Everything is working well.
Nice! Another question, do you use the main M2 slot on the motherboard? It's right adjacent to where a GPU will be so does it increase heat on the M2 shield?

Nice! Another question, do you use the main M2 slot on the motherboard? It's right adjacent to where a GPU will be so does it increase heat on the M2 shield?

I use both m2 slots and thinking of spotting a third one in the spare pcie slot but not sure how well that will work [emoji13]

No temperature problem as such with the primary m2 slot

I use both m2 slots and thinking of spotting a third one in the spare pcie slot but not sure how well that will work [emoji13]

No temperature problem as such with the primary m2 slot
Appreciate it! That's all the info I need for that particular board.

Finally, the APUs are coming August 5th at slightly cheaper prices.

1622536332400.png

Differences between G & X models:

5600x => Base clock 3.7GHz, Boost clock 4.6GHz, L3 Cache 32MB, PCIe 4.0, TDP 65W
5600g => Base clock 3.9GHz, Boost clock 4.4GHz, L3 Cache 16MB, PCIe 3.0, TDP 65W

5800x => Base clock 3.8GHz, Boost clock 4.7GHz, L3 Cache 32MB, PCIe 4.0, TDP 105W
5700g => Base clock 3.8GHz, Boost clock 4.6GHz, L3 Cache 16MB, PCIe 3.0, TDP 65W

I wonder how will the reduced L3 cache impact gaming performance. I hope it doesn't impact too much. Also the PCIE 3 speeds on G series are a big letdown in my opinion.

Last edited:
very good launches , i am more excited about pro series procs

1622537068341.png

I am aware that these are for OEM. But can we get the GE versions superb for home servers media pcs

Back