Audio Audiophile and gears

I couldn't describe the situation properly.

Was it Rockbox? Time just flies..I had a clip plus, what a wonderful small audio player. Did SanDisk kill the Sansa players?

indeed it was the rockbox running on the sansa clip zip and the small beutiful OLED screen in those days.
the later gen sansa were not as good and neither did rockbox support them. the clip , clip+ and clip zip and sansa clip video 2 inch screen were the last good ones of the lot before they were no longer VFM and ultra portable.

i even bought a few refurb ones to replace battery in mine so i could juice it out an year or more and then life and responsibilities took over lol.
but the Odac is and will continue to serve me. nifty little VFM dac as "DAC" was the buzz word back in 2012-13.

No, It will not work in balanced connection. Though headphone is internally wired for a balanced connection but default cable is single ended (3.5mm TRS) at audio source.
As I can understand you want to try headphones in true balanced mode. We need a balanced out from an amp for it to work in balanced mode (just changing cable or using convertor will not work).
* Single end out from the amp can be used with a convertor or cable to run a balanced headphone.
* Balanced out from the amp should never be used for unbalanced headphones (though some brands do provides convertors but technically it's wrong, may end up destroying the amp).

Mobile phones don't provide balanced audio output, so even if we plug male 3.5 TRRS in some phone it take it as single ended+mic connection and doesn't send both channels signals separately, hence only 1 channel works.
BTW this cable is very good, I guess it's brand name is cablecreations.

My guess is one of the two types, CTIA or OMTP, connection should give you sound on both sides. If we could get to know what type of wiring(CTIA or OMTP) is used in the mobile, it will be easy. Even otherwise, just buy some bear cable & connectors, it will be easy to test it.

But it can never be balanced but at least phones will work fine. I hope I am able to get it across what I am trying to say.

1627547923769.png

My guess is one of the two types, CTIA or OMTP, connection should give you sound on both sides. If we could get to know what type of wiring(CTIA or OMTP) is used in the mobile, it will be easy. Even otherwise, just buy some bear cable & connectors, it will be easy to test it.

But it can never be balanced but at least phones will work fine. I hope I am able to get it across what I am trying to say.

View attachment 110330
Exactly what I referred to some posts back..

View attachment 110330
You're absolutely right it can never be balanced. Only manufacturer knows how the wiring is done, so for us it's just buy and try.

indeed it was the rockbox running on the sansa clip zip and the small beutiful OLED screen in those days.
the later gen sansa were not as good and neither did rockbox support them. the clip , clip+ and clip zip and sansa clip video 2 inch screen were the last good ones of the lot before they were no longer VFM and ultra portable.

i even bought a few refurb ones to replace battery in mine so i could juice it out an year or more and then life and responsibilities took over lol.
but the Odac is and will continue to serve me. nifty little VFM dac as "DAC" was the buzz word back in 2012-13.
agreed they were amazing and could still drive most things without amp too and clarity and sq was awesome , i had 2 clip zips and a fuze + and a clip jam . Need to repair clip zips ( one has sowftare issue one battery ) whenever i get time but fuze + was my favorite after rockboxing , and i still use jam for my jogs ( although cant rockbox). Best vfm buys , the first zip lasted me over a decade ! Best part is even today these clips easily work with high capacity memory cards like 128gb etc smooth as silk and they were made over 2 decades back !

Btw always wanted Odac ( + o2 ) but never could get my hands on it , I wonder does it compare to more modern stuff ? really liked its portable size though and from all accounts it sounds very clean from what I have heard . hows youre expereicne been with odac ? I am actually not sure about which reviews to believe because back then esp on headfi there was lot of shiit shilling as they were on of their sponsors !

Last edited:
Can I connect my 2.5mm balanced cable with a 3.5mm adaptor and connect it to 3.5mm SE out from my amp without any issues?
Yes you can, buy some good quality 2.5mm balanced female to 3.5mm single ended male connector and use your balanced earphones or headphones with any amp or mobile phone.

Yes you can, buy some good quality 2.5mm balanced female to 3.5mm single ended male connector and use your balanced earphones or headphones with any amp or mobile phone.
Do you know any good good brands for 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter?
Thanks for sharing about cable creations. Their cables are cheap, solid and have good reviews unlike Amazon basics. I just bought their aux cable but they don't seem to have any 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter sadly.

Anyone here compared PXC550 vs PXC550 II, I see the version II supports latest codecs, how much difference they make?
If you're Apple user, then II ( pxc550 only has aptx, no AAC)
I don't know how BT 4 vs 5 will perform. Soundwise they are identical ( wired,aptX codec) so is the build quality, battery life, ANC.
There's a voice activation button for Alexa etc.in the newer model. The same button in the prev generation cycled through EQs.
When drained off and used in completely passive mode both improves with some amplification ( though perfectly usable for me without amp also, and the battery life is really good in these)

Do you know any good good brands for 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter?
Thanks for sharing about cable creations. Their cables are cheap, solid and have good reviews unlike Amazon basics. I just bought their aux cable but they don't seem to have any 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter sadly.
not many brands make it so if you find something generic it will be cheaper.
here is a good option but costly -
DDhifi
DDhifi 2 there 're two models get the right one.
even more expensive here - headgear

not many brands make it so if you find something generic it will be cheaper.
here is a good option but costly -
DDhifi
DDhifi 2 there 're two models get the right one.
Balanced one is cheaper lol!
So should I get the balanced 2.5mm or normal 2.5mm? I've no idea, I'm guessing since it's balanced cable it should be balanced??
I'll check with Niranjan once, see if it's cheaper.

If you're Apple user, then II ( pxc550 only has aptx, no AAC)
I don't know how BT 4 vs 5 will perform. Soundwise they are identical ( wired,aptX codec) so is the build quality, battery life, ANC.
There's a voice activation button for Alexa etc.in the newer model. The same button in the prev generation cycled through EQs.
When drained off and used in completely passive mode both improves with some amplification ( though perfectly usable for me without amp also, and the battery life is really good in these)

Not an Apple user.
Does this extensive list of supported codes by ver II, make it any better? SBC, aptX™, aptX™ Low Latency, AAC

I am offered a pxc550 NEW sealed one for Rs10000. Usage : Mostly, Tidal, Youtube, & calls an hour a day may be. Looking only for BT & economical option.

Balanced one is cheaper lol!
So should I get the balanced 2.5mm or normal 2.5mm? I've no idea, I'm guessing since it's balanced cable it should be balanced??
I'll check with Niranjan once, see if it's cheaper.
I've no clue which earphones you're trying or what you intend to do.
you can buy 2.5mm balanced female to 3.5mm single ended male converter.

I've no clue which earphones you're trying or what you intend to do.
you can buy 2.5mm balanced female to 3.5mm single ended male converter.
I want to connect Sundara balanced cable which terminates at 2.5mm to Fiio A5 which has 3.5mm Single Ended non balanced out. I just want to use the balanced cable because the stock cable is just unusable.

I want to connect Sundara balanced cable which terminates at 2.5mm to Fiio A5 which has 3.5mm Single Ended non balanced out. I just want to use the balanced cable because the stock cable is just unusable.
It's fine, you can use 2.5mm balanced female to 3.5mm unbalanced male converter. I know these ddhifi converters are costly but you can look for something generic or ask someone who makes custom cables.

Back