BSNL 3G Thread

bigbyte said:
I'm facing same problem. Please forward the link to me as well. I've purchased 3 BSNL MH circle Sim, and all of them are capped at 2mbps DL. Seems that new batch of Sim's are all capped at this speed.
But my SIM is purchase back in November 2010, not sure if that can be classified as new

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Supra said:
^^ If you are using BSNL MH & GOA Sim they are capped at 2 Mbps when used with MTNL....u cant do anything about it ! Almost all roaming sims speeds are capped. If its capped (check in QOS via MDMA) in Pune also raise a complaint here :

http://mis.bsnl.co.in/pgs/internet/pgwebregn.asp

True when used with MTNL but now i am back in Pune and using it on Home BSNL network.

Yes in BSNL network in Pune also it is capped at 2048, but UL speed capping has increased to 2048 from 384. I guess this is more of network issue as MTNL network may not be HSUPA enabled as of now.

smnrock said:
HSD+UPA = HSDPA + HSUPA = HSPA :D and so far from various threads(here and IBF) what i heard is PUNE bsnl 3G has set speed limitation of 2 mbps(up/down)
This is not true. Its not limited/capped. But we dont get good speeds only due to congestion....
I got 435kbps speeds today morning(10am) via IDM. But during office hours I too face slow speed issues.
Last week it was worse... seems better this week... its not stable.. I have even stopped checking my speeds.
I use my BB for normal surfing and 3G for downloading. As soon as I switch on to BT or IDM I get good speeds. Ok with it.

It may be that the speeds are capped while roaming coz I too did not speeds above 2mbps in Mumbai, Thane and Bijapur.

Supra said:
Either the Ipad 999 or Blackberry 991 prepaid recharge :) for 1mnth UL 3G. But most probably these are capped at 2 Mbps !
Alright thanks. Just curious. As such, my plan expires by April end. :p

Guys just complained on the link given by @Supra.
It says the Grievance shd not be more than 200chars lol.....

I think we all shd start registering our complains thr once everyday and save all our Grievance Dockets nos... Please start doing this ... Who knows things may just get better... or in the worst case that complaint page will dissappear :D
Thanks for the link @Supra. Repped you.

onlyravi said:
This is not true. Its not limited/capped. But we dont get good speeds only due to congestion....
What is not true? Getting 435 kbps is no wonder when speed capped @ 2mbps :) If you are getting more than 2 mpbs in recent, then i can agree your point :p

onlyravi said:
Guys just complained on the link given by @Supra.
It says the Grievance shd not be more than 200chars lol.....

I think we all shd start registering our complains thr once everyday and save all our Grievance Dockets nos... Please start doing this ... Who knows things may just get better... or in the worst case that complaint page will dissappear :D
Thanks for the link @Supra. Repped you.
Yes you are right. The limit is ridiculous. But they do call u asking what the issue is.
So i suggest when u receive the call, tell them that the speed is capped to 2 Mbps and i shall also tell them the same.

^^ Sorry my bad.. Its 435KBps not kbps ... lol... but in d evening also many times I observe that the torrents and IDM get speeds around 240KB to 340KB consistently... But equally true is that many times u struggle to surf normal webpages also....(mostly during day time like 11am to 7pm)

2 mb = 256KB and some time getting 340KB is fine in IDM/Torrent is just peaks. If you are getting above 256KB consistently then capping is not true :)

^^ No its not peak. Peak / spikes go upto 650KB but thats very rare. This 240-340 was the range I got while downloading a 450MB vdo from Utube.
Is it hard for you to believe that speeds are not capped???
Guys just dont go with what MDMA shows. For my modem(E122) MDMA shows something like 45000 or something....
Also I am confident because I followed up with multiple people who directly look after the towers and speeds of 3G. They too confirmed that there is NO speed limits... Its only the congestion that is screwing our speeds.
I can take fresh screen shots today evening and post if reqd.

@onlyravi, It is very much possible that your speeds are not capped. The HLR values are specific to SIM nos. and can vary. Some person have reported values capped to 128kbps on MDMA as well as in real world.

On my MTNL sim in Mumbai I used to get very good speeds but nowit never exceeds 384 kbps. Same is shown as negotiated QOS in MDMA. BSNL sim in Mumbai is better for me than MTNL.

Speeds on Roaming may be limited, but in my and raksrules case it is limited in HOME LSA as well. I've used my friends HP BSNL sim in Mumbai, it shows a negotiated QOS of 8192kbps in MTNL Mumbai network and Speedtest results are mostly above 2.5 mbps.

With Serive provider capping speeds, and moreso because of network congestion the real world speeds are not going to be above 3-4 mbps in recent time. So no need to spend more on 21mbps data cards. Best is to purchase Vodafone 3g usb stick for only Rs.1800 ( you get 1month unlimite 2g data usage with it). It is ZTE k3570-z, and supports 7.2mbps. You can unlock it using resources available on Internet.

I can share some no for Pune guys.... if they wish... they can followup with these engineers who work on the 3G towers and speed issues.
I too agree that speeds are quite random... Like if you scroll few posts back I myself had said last week that the speeds in Pune are "Terribly terrible and horrible"
but suddenly it works good for a night or so... and again the next day it behaves like GPRS speeds....

I think we ALL should lodge one complaint/sim everyday on the link give by @Supra and note down our docket no and the date of complaints in some excel sheet and later some day if things dont improve at all we can use this information as a proof to escalate the matter. It wont take more than 2min a day :)
Please let us start doing it and also spread it to our friends who are not on TE.

The link is : http://mis.bsnl.co.in/pgs/internet/pgwebregn.asp

Guys, maybe this has been covered before. Can I buy a BSNL sim from Mumbai and use it here for 3G Data? What are the Data roaming charges for BSNL?

So lets say.. if i want unlimited internet in Mumbai.. all i want to do is get hold of some BSNL 3G sim (anywhere other than Mumbai) with some unlimited plans and use it in Mumbai..

Also do i get 3G speed in Mumbai (around 2 to 3 mbps) ?

I stay at royal palms, aarey milk colony.. I am exploring good internet coverage.. Tried tikona and they speed is pathetic (600kbps plans - getting download speed of 3 to 10 kbps). Have option to go with pacenet, but if whatever you guys saying is true.. then why not BSNL 3G

Thanks

Back