BSNL 3G Thread

bigbyte said:
Well, before anyone starts bashing me about the trick not working, I'd like to make it clear once again that I've not tested it and can't say that it works or not. I found it on internet claiming it works.

There are many such tricks available all over internet, but not all work for everyone. ggt, initially refused to share the MTNL trick with me that I later found using google. That trick, later revealed by ggt, works for him but never worked for me.

Sharing info is some one's own prerogative but I think that we should always try to give back something to the community from where we have learned so many things.

I'm used to a 100mbps dedicated line in my office where every thing including torrent works, so high 3g speed is not much showoff for me. Anything stable and reliable is of more concern to me. At present MTNL has capped my speed at 384 kbps but it more stable than BSNL 3g (capped @2048) for me.
Well its working or not is a different issue, nobody wud like to bash some1 who shared something :) may be useful to some or may not to others.

But showing small town mentality and refusing sharing isn't acceptable, esp. at forums where ppl come to gather info.

If some1 isn't interested in sharing then why show off ?:no:

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Supra said:
^^ Thanks Ravi...but I am aware of that link

What I wanted to know is say I want to migrate from one of my secondary prepaid Aircel Sim to BSNL via MNP.
I will take a normal free sim but on say 3G plan with FRC 58.

So I will get Rs 25 (FRC 58 Talktime) + Rs 100 bonus talktime. Also 5GB data for 30 days + UL 7 days (if at all that remains valid in Feb)
All I need to pay is may be for the FRC Rs 58/ only as porting is waived . Or even the FRC is free and I need not pay anything ?

Then good to convert all the prepaid sims I got to BSNL :p
Porting fees is waived off.
2G SIM is provided free of cost(Normally Rs.19 ) But u have to pay for the 3G SIM(if u opt for a 3G SIM).
You have to pay for the FRC (Rs.47 in case of 2G and Rs.58/Rs.120 incase of 3G)
So, Rs.59+58=Rs.100 TT +5GB data + FRC talkvalue+7days UL(if available)

I doubt that free 5GB can be used in 3G. Its GPRS data usage not 3G. Not mentioned clearly anywhere but I am quite sure since previously whatever free usage they gave with new connections was 2G and not 3G. (except the 7days 3G stuff).

And I too agree that small town mentality is not good... be open and share information...
Thats what we all are here for ... and this is our community for the same purpose...

onlyravi said:
I doubt that free 5GB can be used in 3G. Its GPRS data usage not 3G. Not mentioned clearly anywhere but I am quite sure since previously whatever free usage they gave with new connections was 2G and not 3G. (except the 7days 3G stuff).

Free 5GB data definitely can be used in 3G network but it might also be possible that with speed of 256kbps. A review from BSNL portin member would throw in further light.

^^ Thats exactly what I meant :) That you can use the free data in 3G network mode but the speeds will be that of EDGE/ GPRS.

3G hack trick has stopped working for me yesterday, last few months I enjoyed free 3G @ 274. :ashamed: Now I am not sure if I should get the genuine 3G plan coz I was getting only 1.5mbps~ on average, it seems 3G coverage is very poor now.

I can still register to Cellone (3G) network. But download speeds are back to 32 (256). Hopefully it will start working in 3G again, fingers crossed. :p

^ How much data averagely you download in a month? I live in 100m distance from the main exchange, hardly cross 2MB on 3G(Maximum in our area is 3.5MB).

virus32win said:
^ How much data averagely you download in a month?
Not heavy downloader, my Nokia 5230 data log showing 232GB~ only. But 3G was awesome for YouTube etc. Now I shutdown PC @ night, 9600GT in my siggy is loudy even @ auto 45% fan.

Supra said:
See here is how it goes. The free sim is 2G but you are free to select a 3G plan via 3G FRC of say Rs 58 ! And yes the 5GB is valid for 3G also but only with 30 days validity :)...folks at IBF in the MNP thread have posted about this :)

So total spending is Rs 58 for FRC. Talktime will be Rs 25 (FRC 58 talktime) + Rs 100 free TT for porting to BSNL + 5GB data . Killer offer :D

Awesome! :) Will submit the porting request this weekend! :D

SidhuScorpion said:
Not heavy downloader, my Nokia 5230 data log showing 232GB~ only....
Oh 232GB "Only" :bleh:
Thats modest !!!
My current reliance postpaid sim is in my cousin's name. I am too in the process of first transfering it in my name and then porting to BSNL only for 3G.

Here in Pune I can see 3G signals of 4 operators
BSNL
IDEA
TATA GSM
VODAFONE
But atm only BSNL is active. Dunno when others will actually start providing service.

Ok so i got a 3g sim for 59 Rs. Then did a Recharge of 56 RS. Then i did a recharge of 2500 Rs. I cant check anything since i dont have any 3g phone/modem, but i checked it in my friends phone and the balance was kist 27 Rs. I am assuming *123# just returns the balance for Voice and not the Data plan. Also how do i check wats the validity of the sim , sorry for being a n00b but i never had a prepaid card before :ashamed:

^ *123# displays the sim validity too. Did you get a confirmation message saying that the 2500 recharge was successful? If yes then you can start using it, I don't think there is a way to check the data plan validity.

Btw the 2500, 4200 recharges are still working? It was supposed to expire 90 days from Nov 1st ie Jan 29th I think.

colleague did a 4200 recharge today. not working :(

recharge was supposedly successful and was told the 4200 offer will be extended

SunnyBoi said:
colleague did a 4200 recharge today. not working :(

recharge was supposedly successful and was told the 4200 offer will be extended
I got a msg from BSNL on 28th that two days left and again on 29th that today is the last day for 4200 offer. Didnt get any after that so doubt its been extended

So there is no way to check the Data Plan validity as of now? I got a confirmation message saying that 2500 RS recharge done with some reference number. Apart from that i got another message giving me some amount(200 or so) Free messages. Is this normal? :ashamed:

apextwin146 said:
So there is no way to check the Data Plan validity as of now? I got a confirmation message saying that 2500 RS recharge done with some reference number. Apart from that i got another message giving me some amount(200 or so) Free messages. Is this normal? :ashamed:
Try sending request to *123*2#

For BSNL Maharashtra Circle, the USSD code is *112# and in reply press 6. You'll get all your credit including GPRS Day/Night by SMS. For some northern states, the code is *123*2#.

If these two do not work one can try all the codes starting from *123*1# to *123*10#. With BSNL these code do not activate any plan and hence no chance of any deduction.

hunt3r said:
I got a msg from BSNL on 28th that two days left and again on 29th that today is the last day for 4200 offer. Didnt get any after that so doubt its been extended
Even i got the same messages from BSNL.

I use BSNL 3G on my handset also.(nokia N8) to access the net. It shows very good signals compared to my USB modem, but the download speeds are not that good. Is there any way that I can check signal details on my handset?
Like on PC we have MDMA which shows us the LAC / CELL ID and signal strength in -dbm.

Back