BSNL 3G Thread

I am using a data card on Seagate Dockstar running Debian and its working fine without any disconnections. So it seems like a Windows Issue?

@space..

will try that also mate...

@varkey

yea it seems some usb modem driver issues. not supporting high speed modems or something.

can any windows 7 user share their experience with the following.

1. 3g enabled phone. hoe they use it?..one touch access or??

2. USB data card..

any connection drop or disconnections??

I'm a win 7 user and was used bsnl 3G earlier.

1. Yes in 3.5G phone i had connection dropouts(tested with HTC Legend/Xperia X1i), but my assumption was disconnection is due to handset becomes very hot due to continous downloading.

2. I've K3765 and no problems of disconnection.(ofcourse i had disconnection if my connection speed exceeds 3.6 mbps, this is win xp too, so i did restrict the speed in IDM/Jdownloader)

u used the vodafone one??the usb data card? how much?

so above 3.6mbps all goes to hell??. then why are we all clamoring for 7.2Mbps??.. :S..

so u use xp or win 7.. in second case?. coz u said u use win 7 at the start but in bracket u told xp. :S

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

@space..

so i started the xp mode and all. but the connection speed is very low.. getting like 50KBps.. that too for short while..

^i mainly use win 7 and for testing i've tried in xp mode also.

regarding more than 3.6 mbps connection drop out.. its due to my data card i suppose. i can download upto 150 MB(approx) continously before connection goes hell :(. in that time data card is very hot. Once i limited the speed to 3.6 approx, i dont have that issue and continosly downloaded more than GBs. anyways now i dropped the idea of using bsnl 3G, since user base is increasing day by day and i cant download anything from MU/RS/HF, due to shared IP :(

Also later i was using k3765 with asus rt-n16 and i've set speed limit there(DD-wRT) :D

From yesterday I'm facing frequent disconnects. The light on the data card is steady and not blinking which means its still connected, But internet connectivity is lost. Im connecting from Linux using pppd.

The disconnection happens even if the speed doesn't go above 3.6mbps and during the day the frequency of disconnections is higher.

Previously I thought its only a windows issue, but now I think its an issue @ BSNL end. Anyone else using it with linux, can you send me your pppd config files and chat scripts.

I dont know about data connection, but today in bangalore from morning, my phone keep on dropping hsdpa signal, so i forced to use GSM mode in my phone :(

i am only able to get EDGE network not 3g here in hubli (3g is available here) though sometimes i get 3g but that lasts just 20-30 secs. ia m using milestone any help or suggestions guys

^ Thats really nice. But I am facing constant disconnections and not able to use it for continous downloads properly.

Anyway if the price goes down, the userbase also will increase which in turn may reduce the overall performance! ;)

^^ mine gets disconnected after 2gb of usage (Exactly)...

gets connected automatically...

Check your usage stats..

I think BSNL resets connections after 2gb of usage...

^ Oh ok. Here is my connection log for the past few hours. :(

Oct 23 14:04:14 dockstar pppd[597]: Connect time 4.0 minutes.

Oct 23 14:07:44 dockstar pppd[597]: Connect time 2.9 minutes.

Oct 23 14:09:49 dockstar pppd[597]: Connect time 1.5 minutes.

Oct 23 14:12:11 dockstar pppd[597]: Connect time 1.3 minutes.

Oct 23 14:14:00 dockstar pppd[597]: Connect time 1.3 minutes.

Oct 23 14:16:24 dockstar pppd[597]: Connect time 1.9 minutes.

Oct 23 14:19:34 dockstar pppd[597]: Connect time 2.6 minutes.

Oct 23 14:29:11 dockstar pppd[597]: Connect time 9.1 minutes.

Oct 23 16:30:51 dockstar pppd[597]: Connect time 121.2 minutes.

Oct 23 18:39:16 dockstar pppd[9494]: Connect time 108.0 minutes.

Oct 23 19:14:53 dockstar pppd[9494]: Connect time 35.1 minutes.

Sometimes it gets reconnected automatically, but otherwise it gives an error saying NO Carrier and have to reconnect the modem for it to start working again. I think its due to low signal in my area although I get good speeds approx 3-3.5 Mbps almost all the time. The signal level is only -95dBm to -90 -dBm. :(

Anyway I have ordered an antenna from eBay so once I get it, hopefully things will improve! :) I will also try it somewhere with better signals and report back :)

@raks ... great news.Hope its individual 700 and not a bulk 4200 to avail the plan at 700 effective.

Tried the 3g sim on a samsung galaxy 3 with easytether.Ditto same speeds as nokia 5230 and same disconnection issues.

Got the huawei e122 3g usb modem.Windows 7.The disconnections still persist.Now I have set it up to redial auto, and so far its working fine.Its not a problem while torrenting as the torrents merely continue after a gap of few seconds.But its a pain nonetheless.The only thing remaining is to try it on ubuntu and winxp.

raksrules said:
Rumors are floating on net that BSNL is further going to reduce the 3G price and it will be 700 per month. Yes 700 bucks a month.There is a thread on IBF too regarding the same. Anyone has any more information on this ?

PS: Guys dont expect much but hope for the best.

Edit: Got this link

EXCLUSIVE: BSNL slashes 3G tariff, Unlimited 3G at Rs.700/month

That is not rumor, It is reliably learnt that BSNL has issued order for this.

BSNL going to launch festival offer for 3G data unlimited plans to be implemented with effect from 1st November 2010.

Tariff for 3G data unlimited plans. (Inclusive of service tax)

1. Rs 2000 for 60 days unlimited.

2. Rs 2500 for 90 days unlimited.

3. Rs 4200 for 180 days unlimited.

Also there is an offer for 3G data cards with one year BSNL warranty.

Linktop Single band LW272 Speed 3.6Mbps Rs 2000

Linktop Tri band LW273 Speed 7.2 Mbps Rs 2500

Back