BSNL 3G Thread

Finally got the 3G SIM from Aundh telephone exchange. Did a 120 rs FRC too. Not sure whether it is activated or not but i am able to access internet in UMTS mode. Getting 1.3 Mbps average speed. :) I know it is less but cant really judge but just 10 minutes of usage.

How do i check BSNL 3G data usage ? I did a *123# and i get Rs 150 Rs. Is this for calling?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I am getting full network in my nokia 5230 but i am not getting full speed like 2 -3.5 Mbps types. I am getting max of only 1.5Mbps only :( Is it temporary issue or what the problem may be ??

raksrules said:
How do i check BSNL 3G data usage ? I did a *123# and i get Rs 150 Rs. Is this for calling?

I am getting full network in my nokia 5230 but i am not getting full speed like 2 -3.5 Mbps types. I am getting max of only 1.5Mbps only :( Is it temporary issue or what the problem may be ??

usually here in bngalore when we call *123# we get a message regarding the data usage also. The 150 is for clls. U can check the \bsnl website websit for more details on the plan.

Regarding the speed part. many have posted good speeds but the truth is it is not same for the rest. For example in my area most of us who bought 3G sim have never experienced speeds above 30KBps. People who used to get more than 300 KBps are now getting 30-40 now. Since it depends on a lot of factors he speed varies quite a lot.

^^ True but for some strange reason when say IDM or torrents are on, my speed never ever goes above 1.3 Mbps. That makes me bit suspicious. Check below screenshot. Bw meter pro shows max 1.3 Mbps max attained and the speeds on torrent also averages to what it shows.

2e5imvl.jpg

[IMG=http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/9353/speedcapped.jpg][/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I am 100% sure now that my speed has been locked to 1.3 Mbps. Constantly using 3G connected to my laptop from last 3-4 hours and absolutely no increase in speeds :mad:

Trying to call 1503 but the customer care person never comes and when i cut the phone (on their insistance so they can call me back), they never call back.

^^ Could you try with different devices connected as modem just to confirm. one more thing you could is go a different place to test the speed to see if it is locked by the network. Issue is strange. But still getting 1.3Mbps constant is not a bad thing. Contacting BSNL CS is such a PIA everywhere.

Hi everybody i am a new 3g user and thanks to you guys i've been able to setup 3g in computer without any problems, but right now i am facing a strange problem. My speed is always around 500 KBps in idm and 400 KBps in torrents but whenever i try to open a video in youtube or any other video sharing site there is constant buffering and another thing is that when i check the speed through mobile partner i see that only 300 to 400 kbps is getting utilized although my bandwidth is around 4 mbps. I am using windows 7 64 bit ultimate. Does any body else facing this problem???

^^ I am using private trackers only like BWT/DT. Will check with public trackers and update here.

About speed i am now 100% convinced my speed is locked. It never ever goes beyond 1.3 Mbps, no matter what, no matter what method of download is used. I want to complain the customer care but after dialing 1503 and then dialing 3 for language and then 0 for complaint, they say they will connect to customer care person which never happen. As i type my phone is besides me, on hold for last 12 minutes and no customer care person has responded yet. :mad::mad:

nfsnfs said:
How is that utorrent is working there rakrules ? .Here Utorrent ports are blocked . Which tracker were you using ?
Just tried downloading torrent from btjunkie and TPB and they too worked fine. Although did not get full speed (not even 1.3 Mbps), probably because of it being public tracker.

But for private trackers i am getting full speed (1.3 Mbps in my case).

SpaceVoid said:
^ you using bluetooth to connect mobile to lappy ? or cable ?
USB Cable.

sg3707 said:
^^ Could you try with different devices connected as modem just to confirm. one more thing you could is go a different place to test the speed to see if it is locked by the network. Issue is strange. But still getting 1.3Mbps constant is not a bad thing. Contacting BSNL CS is such a PIA everywhere.
Yes i will try this tomorrow morning when i go out. I am more convinced that it is locked by the fact that i had put a private tracker torrent to download on the phone itself using symtorrent app and in that too the speeds never went above 140 kBps types.

ggt said:
Try IDM And download multiple files from server like mediafire to confirm speeds.

Set no of connections to max i.e 16.
Does not really make any difference :(

Is this issue anyway related to that USB hot fix thing we have been talking about few pages back ?

^ No I dont think this one is related to that issue.I am getting the same graph curve albeit its locked at 2mbps (250KB/s).There are at times spikes above that speed but it then rests at 250KB/s.Tell tale signs of throttling. So I feel what you are saying is true that the speed might be locked from the bsnl's end. Try it from some other place.Next thing is to complain about it.

Ok so finally holding for 20 minutes i was able to get through a representative and he said he will forward my complaint to concerned department. I have very less hopes but lets see what happens. Hoping for the best. Will test in different part of my area tomorrow.

The best time to do such tests are early in the morning.
I might have mentioned the max speed i got on mtnl.
It was maxed to 330KB/sec.
The time i did the test was 5 am.
Then speeds were never matched to those occasionally reaching 300 but at about 288KB/SEC whEN traffic is less. Do the network test at odd hours of the night to be sure that the speeds are capped.
The hotfix issue is different.
The hotfix is needed when your phone when doing consistent speeds of over 240KB/sec goes to inactivity mode . The data transfer begins only when the connection is disconnected and reconnected.
If you observe such symptoms then i guess you would have to install the hotfix.

My experience is currently a lot different than yours.

* On Private Trackers with more seeds than leechers, I get anywhere between 480KB/s to 630KB/s (That's about 5mbps tops).
* On Public Trackers, I've never really crossed 300KB/s

The best way to find out your max speeds is to do a segmented download using Getright or some other download manager. Use atleast 3 segments to max out your connection.

BTW, I'm on pre-paid. How do you get rid of those +50030 messages? Since it's 3G, there are a lot of disconnections and everytime the connection disconnects, I get one of those "You have used xxxx.xx Kbytes" messages. I'd really like to know how to disable that.

Back