BSNL 3G Thread

ggt said:
@raks

You were planning an SE phone na.

Did you get one.

Try on that first before you jump to data card just for the speed bump.

By jan all 3G networks will be functional so then many 3G cards will be available off the shelf driving the prices down.

Also the hotfixes are available for vista and 7 .

Not sure about win xp.

When you make a connection do you get a notification to download the hotfix?

Then follow the procedure there itself.
I was planning to get a new phone but that was for my fiancee and it wont be an SE anymore but either from Nokia X2 or C5 may be. Not sure till now. She wont really be comfortable about this idea of connecting phone to PC and using internet. She would want a simple to use plug type connection. Currently she is using a tata indicom CDMA data card (150kbps type speeds).

I am not really now planning to get a data card as i want to get the main six month connection only in january.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

babhishek said:
@raks : why are you forcing it, the sad truth might be thats the max you will get ; 1.3 to 1.5 aint bad.

Yes actually i am completely ok with this speed but the fact that i am not able to attain the max speed possible is what is concerning me. Just want to get hold of the issue, nothing else.

As i see now, having a 1+ Mbps connection at 700 rupees a month (assuming i take the 4.2k/six months offer) is always a great offer.

virus32win said:
^ I don't think any other device will make difference, unfortunately you seems to be in a poor network area.
Network is full always. Moreover i tried even very very near (less than 100 meters) to BSNL tower still download speed was maxing out at like 150-160kBps. I think my phone is at fault. Just dont know what. Will try tomorrow in office area and possibly any other phone.

linuxtechie said:
Puneites,

Can anyone lend me 3g device to check its feasibility at home? I already have the sim with me and its activated, however I couldn't test it due to lack of device.

Thanks
+LT

If by a 3g device, you mean a 3g capable phone then pm me.

Am from banglore

I am looking forwrd to buy a BSNL 3G connection along with a HSDPA 7.2mbps HSUPA 5.76mbps

1.How much will be the total cost to get the connection?

2.Which is the best usb modem to buy? cost?

3.What about the downloading speed in torrents?

Answers Inline....anyone correct if anything is wrong below.

Since you are from Bangalore, Supra is your best contact at this moment :p

lavans4u said:
Am from banglore

I am looking forwrd to buy a BSNL 3G connection along with a HSDPA 7.2mbps HSUPA 5.76mbps

1.How much will be the total cost to get the connection?

Rs 59 SIM card + Rs 120 FRC (so you can first try out 3G, gives 1 week unlimited download) + 4200 (for six months of unlimited 3G, you can take other schemes but this is most VFM)

2.Which is the best usb modem to buy? cost?

Huawei E122 as per what informed members here are saying. Has 7.2Mbps DL and 5+ Mbps UL capability, has micro SD card slot, works with BSNL 3G). Cost cheapest is 2250 here sold by dvdstoredelhi on TE, on ebay.in all are selling for 2.7k upwards

3.What about the downloading speed in torrents?

You can get varied speeds depending on tracker used, network connectivity in your area etc. I for some reason am stuck to 1.3 Mbps max so i get around 140-160kBps on private tracker torrents. But that wont be the case with you, you can get even 400-500kBps (capital B)

@raks play around and test at different locations in the city

in kolkata i have the following scenario

10 connections simultaneous, http download gives me 130-150KBps

80 connections bumps up to 160-170KBps

now thats consisten across the city

however offpeak speeds shoot up to 270-320KBps (night and specially early morning 5am to 8am types)

in my house, if i work in my bedroom speeds are 160KBps max, if i move to another section of the house which uses another tower (assumption) i get 260KBps

these speeds are always with the modem dangling outside the window/ outside balcony.

within rooms the speeds mysteriously drop to 50-65KBps ( 3g mode) and sometimes goes to 110-130KBps ( if HSDPA activates)

talk about quality/variation!!

^lol for i was cursing mtnl earlier for slow speeds .
You seem to suffer with connectivity issues with the interference of towers of different areas i guess.
Had the same problem with loop at my old place in edge connection.
I used to get reception on one corner of the room with different tower.
Those days towers used to mention the location.
Most of the time the majority area tower used to cripple with connectivity issues where i had to place my phone at certain angle in the room to get reception of the diff tower to connect to internet. :p

Guys, I am in Gurgaon presently and have good BSNL signal reception in my area (at least with the EVDO modem that I use presently). I am considering dumping EVDO and going for 3G but have some queries.

I understand that I need to pay 59 + 120 + 4200 (if 3G works fine at my area) initially.

1. Will this plan work all over India where BSNL has a 3G network or will there be extra roaming charges?

2. What happens if I move to an area where there is no 3G signal? Will it work at some other speed?

3. Which is the modem I should go for between the Huawei E122 and the Huawei UMG1831 (considering it might be available)? Any other good modems or these are the best?

Looking forward to getting a quick reply. Thanks :)

Mohit said:
Guys, I am in Gurgaon presently and have good BSNL signal reception in my area (at least with the EVDO modem that I use presently). I am considering dumping EVDO and going for 3G but have some queries.

I understand that I need to pay 59 + 120 + 4200 (if 3G works fine at my area) initially.

1. Will this plan work all over India where BSNL has a 3G network or will there be extra roaming charges?

2. What happens if I move to an area where there is no 3G signal? Will it work at some other speed?

3. Which is the modem I should go for between the Huawei E122 and the Huawei UMG1831 (considering it might be available)? Any other good modems or these are the best?

Looking forward to getting a quick reply. Thanks :)
120 recharge is not the only one. There are 3 more options.

There are no roaming charges as far as data is considered.

Yes It would work but at a lower speed similar to a 2G sim if 3G is not available.

Both the models u mentioned are good enough. Get them based on their availability. Currently our TE delaer has deal on E122 for 2250 Rs.

sg3707 said:
120 recharge is not the only one. There are 3 more options.

There are no roaming charges as far as data is considered.

Yes It would work but at a lower speed similar to a 2G sim if 3G is not available.

Both the models u mentioned are good enough. Get them based on their availability. Currently our TE delaer has deal on E122 for 2250 Rs.

What other recharge options do I have? I thought the 120 recharge for 1 week unlimited to test the connection.
Hacker said:
^ Your connection will move to edge if there is no 3g signal.

3g+ > 3g > edge > gprs
Thanks for the information.

The best option is rs 59(sim card)+ rs 58(recharge), you get lifetime validity with this rs 58 recharge and even the call rates are cheap like 49 paise/min for both local and std.

Ok so did some testing and i feel that the tower in my area is restricting the speeds or the pc to mobile interface is the culprit. I was able to achieve speeds of upto 300kBps in office area (on mobile using symtorrent)

My friend who has a 5230, i have told him to bring his laptop and phone and datacable tomorrow. Will see what is the result with that.

^so since your phone is limited to 3.6mbps so then the speeds got capped.

you may achieve much greater speeds with a better phone/data card :p

RS4 said:
The best option is rs 59(sim card)+ rs 58(recharge), you get lifetime validity with this rs 58 recharge and even the call rates are cheap like 49 paise/min for both local and std.
But then this will not include 3G right? Or it includes 3G? If yes, then for how much time?

Back