BSNL 3G Thread

I found world of difference between Mobile (E52) Bluetooth - Mobile (Same E52) USB Cable - Data Card (Huawei E122), using the same SIM in almost the same position.

Bluetooth gave me 55-60 kB/s
USB gave me 130-150 kB/s
Data Card - awesome performance - maxed out upto 450 kB/s (3.6 Mbps)

So had been out and tried in different areas, not very far. But results are same. Once i did touch 190+ kBps but that was for only couple of seconds, then it stabilizes back to 130-150kBps range. Now i am convinced that speed is locked.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Ok so i received the most ridiculous reply from the BSNL Customer care. They asked me what handset i was using and i replied 5230 and they say "My handset is not 3G compatible" :p:mad::-[:-[

WTF is the issue ? My phone has an issue ?

Is there anyone here in Aundh who has a datacard and let me test it for couple of hours ??? I need to verify where the problem lies.

Puneites,

Can anyone lend me 3g device to check its feasibility at home? I already have the sim with me and its activated, however I couldn't test it due to lack of device.

Thanks

+LT

@rakshit: I think the phone may have some sort of limitations. I'd say buy the E122 modem from Suneesh/DVDStoreDelhi and give a try. If it doesn't work you can always sell it off for almost no loss here because the device is in shortage! :p

Bsnl CC pissed me off the other day. I called the toll free to inquire about something and the lady was asking me if there is 3G in Surat! I was like wtf! o_O

@linuxtechie
I dont' have usb modem so can't lend you one. But to give you some information here is my experiance with BSNL 3G.
I am from Pune, but I am using 3G sim using from my phone Nokia 5320. I am able to get max 2.3 mbps of speed in Kothrud. But for most part speed remains around 1.5 mbps. My friends in other areas report similar speed. Maybe using data card/usb modem speed might be more.

raksrules said:
For that only i hard resetted the phone to see if that can rectify the issue. But that too did not work. But i have earlier experienced speeds of more than 250 kBps using the same device.
Check this post of mine long time back.

http://www.techenclave.com/wireless...bsnl-3g-cost-normal-161834-9.html#post1489414

Is the modem available in stock with dvdstore ?? I guess not :(
may be try other device but i wont be sure
got speeds of 330KB/sec on SE T700(3.6mbps d/l)
getting speeds of 230KB/sec :eek:hyeah: right now on C5
so u may try another device a phone capable of speeds of 7.2mbps d/l to be sure

for checking speeds on torrent (practically max) just try downloading linux distro..... there are generally thousands of seeds/ peers. It should give decent idea, you dont have to play around with public/ private trackers.

Rakrules, can we talk on gtalk? pm me your gtalk id. You have docomo card as well na and having problem with their 3G? I am from pune using it for couple of days on nokia 5800. Actually i was getting 3G signal from diwali. Couldnt test it as i was on a run from pune, mumbai, hyd.

And i assume most of you guys have network monitoring software on cell like http://www.bitsforfree.eu/prod_detail_029.php. Just having full range/network displayed on cell isnt always the best thing.

Rather it would be nice to have detailed network info whenever members post there speeds on 3G/ edge.

^^ I too have docomo card and the place where i stay (Aundh), i get docomo 3G signals but when i try connecting it, i get No access. On consulting the customer care they told that since 3G is not officially launched in Pune, i wont be able to access it.

For linux distro, can you point me to from where i can get its torrent. I have never downloaded linux so no idea.

here u go...... Alternative downloads | Ubuntu take your pick for any version, you may have to scroll down for torrent. And try keeping mobile on dual mode ( i use that setting). I am successfully using 3G on cell, on laptop with docomo 48 Rs pack :D and have seen 2mbps speeds while downloading as well as on speedtest.net sevaral times.

Check this out,

Sorry for OT.

Harpy.eagle said:
for checking speeds on torrent (practically max) just try downloading linux distro..... there are generally thousands of seeds/ peers. It should give decent idea, you dont have to play around with public/ private trackers.

Check this...does not really help. Something definitely is restricting the speed, i just dont know what and i dont have any other device as of now to test :mad:

160rghs.jpg

Here are my speed test results..sucks

Harpy.eagle said:
here u go...... Alternative downloads | Ubuntu take your pick for any version, you may have to scroll down for torrent. And try keeping mobile on dual mode ( i use that setting). I am successfully using 3G on cell, on laptop with docomo 48 Rs pack :D and have seen 2mbps speeds while downloading as well as on speedtest.net sevaral times.

Sorry for OT.

You mean you are able to use tata docomo 3g in Pune on normal SIM card. I always get No access. Will try again. Which area are you from ??

raksrules said:
You mean you are able to use tata docomo 3g in Pune on normal SIM card. I always get No access. Will try again. Which area are you from ??
yes, comfortably. I stay near S.P. college. Dont listen to CC, forum members offer better support/ help :D And i generally disable KIS 2010 i have, while streaming and downloading becoz of this

Disabled firewall, removed antivirus, still speeds stuck at 1.3 Mbps.

Anyone living near Aundh and can help me with a datacard for an hour or so for testing ??

I do plan to get the data card but it is not available as of now with dvdstore.

@raks
You were planning an SE phone na.
Did you get one.
Try on that first before you jump to data card just for the speed bump.
By jan all 3G networks will be functional so then many 3G cards will be available off the shelf driving the prices down.
Also the hotfixes are available for vista and 7 .
Not sure about win xp.
When you make a connection do you get a notification to download the hotfix?
Then follow the procedure there itself.

antidote said:
stuck at 3.6 mbps on private trackers on my c5.i should be getting the e122 delivered tomorrow.
stuck??????

@raks : why are you forcing it, the sad truth might be thats the max you will get ; 1.3 to 1.5 aint bad.

Back