BSNL 3G Thread

@supra, how about your settings? and that frequent disconnection is new issue in bangalore from yday. the disconnection varkey talks is about regular one he used face...right varkey?

^ At Chennai (only in my area though, for my friend its working fine) check this

Nov 24 04:14:32 dockstar pppd[3657]: Connect time 0.7 minutes.

Nov 24 04:15:46 dockstar pppd[3657]: Connect time 0.7 minutes.

Nov 24 04:16:45 dockstar pppd[3657]: Connect time 0.4 minutes.

Nov 24 04:17:50 dockstar pppd[3657]: Connect time 0.5 minutes.

Nov 24 04:19:04 dockstar pppd[3657]: Connect time 0.7 minutes.

Nov 24 04:20:08 dockstar pppd[3657]: Connect time 0.5 minutes.

Nov 24 04:21:27 dockstar pppd[3657]: Connect time 0.8 minutes.

Nov 24 04:23:07 dockstar pppd[3657]: Connect time 1.1 minutes.

Nov 24 04:24:31 dockstar pppd[3657]: Connect time 0.9 minutes.

Nov 24 04:26:45 dockstar pppd[3657]: Connect time 1.7 minutes.

Nov 24 04:31:05 dockstar pppd[3657]: Connect time 1.5 minutes.

Nov 24 04:35:05 dockstar pppd[3657]: Connect time 0.5 minutes.

Nov 24 04:36:10 dockstar pppd[3657]: Connect time 0.5 minutes.

It happens like this sometimes and almost everyday around 2PM it gets disconnected and doesn't reconnect for a while! :p There is some serious problem with the tower in my area I guess.

Although at Cochin, only the usual 1-2 disconnects every 2-3 hours which is fine. :)

Hw do I check with mdma ? Dialup using Windows connection and open mdma? Not working with mobile partner open :p

Btw just checked now...5 min 20 sec...100MB done ...no discoonections :D ..fingers crossed :p

Ok so i connected my Nokia 5230 with my laptop. It has the BSNL 3G SIM card inside and phone is in UMTS mode. Then fired up the mobile data monitoring application and it successfully detected the phone but seems not fully. I am not able to get the uplink / downlink information but as you can see from the below screenshot,the network operator is shown and even my phone details.
The green bar always stays at half. Any way to ensure that it can detect the device fully ?
Also when the internet is connected i cannot start the MDMA application as it says that the port is in use.

2nv9ztd.jpg

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I want to connect to internet from inside this application so what number should i dial using the dialer it presents me (dialer corresponding to my nokia 5230 modem)

^ You need to connect to Internet from MDMA itself. The 'Connect' button at the bottom right corner. :)

@raksrules - Ya select the corresponding dialer. It will connect automatically.

Also that USB hotfix thing did not install on my machine since i have the XP SP3 and it said i dont need to install as i have latest SP.

ok here is my screenie :p

I guess MDMA is not able to detect the stuff properly.

Also uploaded a 62 MB to hotfile in about 5 min....it was blazing fast uploads of around 1.9 Mbps :D...no disconnections yet :)

varkey said:
^ You need to connect to Internet from MDMA itself. The 'Connect' button at the bottom right corner. :)

@raksrules - Ya select the corresponding dialer. It will connect automatically.
When inside the MDMA application, i click the connect, it gives me the list of modems installed on my machine including the Nokia 5230 modem and when i check it properties, the phone number written in *99#. Then i click ok and am back to previous screen of MDMA where i again click connect and i get the error that the device is already in use or not configured properly

^^ Connect it via windows dialer and then fire up mdma...worked for me....close nokia pc suite/ovi suite and dont connect via them

Here is the screenshot

25017wh.jpg

one more screenie...

oj3v2p.jpg

Supra said:
^^ Connect it via windows dialer and then fire up mdma...worked for me....close nokia pc suite/ovi suite and dont connect via them
Yes i can do that but MDMA will only detect the phone when i connect it in PC suite mode.

Moreover with windows dialer i get above errors. Please tell how to rectify.

^^

1. Close PC Suite / Ovi Suite and close the system tray icons

2. Disconnect USB cable from Nokia 5230 and reconnect it back after 2 min.

3. Connect to BSNL 3G via windows dialer

4. Fire up MDMA

@raks ^ in MDMA APN field set "bsnlnet"

@supra, there were several users reported issues in assigned profile(now modified to QoS) in beta version, better use the stable version and it will show properly :)

BTW all the connection management in mdma is simpler for usb modems :)

Ok so this is weird.

1. I connect my phone in PC suite mode and close all nokia / OVI suite things.

2. Went to show all connections -> Nokia 5230 modem and dialled with whatever default was there and it got connected.

But when i go to MDMA -> Connect and try to connect same modem and it gives above mentioned error. :S

@Supra

After dialing the internet, the port gets blocked and hence firing the MDMA says it cannot to the port

@raks, i guess mdma points to some other COM port, hence this issue. When you click connect button in mdma, it will show available dialup connections and also there will be properties button in that window. Click that properties button and see which modem it points to

I too am getting the same errors as raks
Also my signal strength is shown as -73 dbm.
What is better ?
The readme mentions it should range between -153 to -51 dbm.
Which range is better? :S

Ok so this is what i found.

If i directly go to the all connections and windows dialer and start dialing, the network gets connected. At this time, the MDMA app is closed.

If MDMA is open it blocks the COM port of phone and hence when i press CONNECT on MDMA it indirectly dials through normal windows dialer only and since the port is blocked by MDMA, the windows dialer throws the above error 633

Any solutions ?? Is it expected? How do you guys connect without ensuring conflict of port.

smnrock said:
@raks, i guess mdma points to some other COM port, hence this issue. When you click connect button in mdma, it will show available dialup connections and also there will be properties button in that window. Click that properties button and see which modem it points to
No it points to the same port COM4 where my Nokia 5230 is connected. I cross checked it.

May be you can try creating new connection from with in MDMA itself. First set the APN as bsnlnet in the APN field of mdma and then click connect, in the new window click new and proceed further :)

smnrock said:
May be you can try creating new connection from with in MDMA itself. First set the APN as bsnlnet in the APN field of mdma and then click connect, in the new window click new and proceed further :)
Did that but in vain :(

I am also able to send the USSD commands. I tried *123# and i got my balance in the MDMA window.

But just that because of this port blocking, MDMA cannot connect to internet.

This is the reply i got from the developer of MDMA. This seals everything :( Main forum link here

Unfortunately Nokia phones only expose one serial port and that is the one you need to dial-up with, so on a Nokia phone all you'll really be able to do with MDMA is check your signal strength and send USSD commands.

Back